Sign in to follow this  

Quieting this thing down

My neighbor has a KC powersports 70cc pitbike. It's a great bike, and I love riding it, etc.

The only problem is, it's LOUD. The pipe it comes with makes it sound like a Harley. Is there any way to quiet the darn thing down for cheap?

-Ross

Not where he rides. He rides alone on a small track behind his house. The only people who hear him are angry neighbors.

use some elbow pipe from the local plumbing supply store and point it to the ground. use 2screws to fasten it on to the outlet ....Works like a charm :excuseme:

Be serious, clev.

Mad... all I have to do is get an elbow joint, drill holes into it/ the pipe, and fasten it? How much quieter can I expect the bike to be after this mod? Is PVC ok since it is light?

i used copper elbow 1and 1/4 inch and directed it to the ground and then asked the neighbors if that was better . They said yea and thanked me.

I dont think PVC would hold up to the heat

just a standard elbow fitting bud so maybe sticks out by 2 inches at the most aint pretty but less then $2 to keep the neighbors happy works for me :excuseme:

plus i can take it off easy when im on the trails

only if your behind me lol.... Its copper and my muffler is crome so yea its ugly :excuseme: but i just have it on in my yard and take it off when i go to the trails

Buy a stock XR/CRF-70 pipe and have a fabricator adapt it to your bike. Mine is quiet as stock yet runs super with an 88cc kit.

Go to a hardware store and but one of those 5" 4 hp rated baffler exhaust.......sand the threads down and taper the end a bit.....use some of that metal weld paste (called INFERNO and rated at 2000 degree's....most auto shops carry this) and stick it in......works greats only cost a few bucks.....I did this on one of my loud 2-stroke's I use to have......I have the KC 70.......but I like the loud sound and my boy thinks he riding a big bike.....we have louder bikes on our street so no big deal here....

My bike was loud as hell,so I took off my pipe and found little to no packing.So i repacked it with new packing and it is defenetly quieter.You might want to look and see if you have any packing in there.

Thanks for the replies. Do you think if I re-packed it AND used the copper piece it would be significantly quieter? I'm pretty new to this so exactly what is packing, and where does it go. Does anyone have pictures of this if possible?

-Ross

Take the exhaust off and take the can apart.Go to your local shop and buy some new packing for a 4 stroke.Clean the screen and wrap the new packing around the tube a couple times.I use a couple pieces of tape to hold it on while i put the can back on.put it back together and fire it up.If it's still to loud try the brass pipe.