Sign in to follow this  

anyone have a trailtech vapor?

i was wondering how well they work without a battery hook up? one of the guys i talked to at the company said i could just splice it into the headlight to get the required 12v to run the LED's but i wanted to know if anyone has actually done that.

Redswr,

Yes you can just hook it up to the a/c of headlight. If your headlight has d/c then you can do that also. The speedo uses only 2.5 volts for it to work. Your system will provide that voltage/amperage needed to turn on the lights for night riding. If you don't ride during the night then you don't need to hook it up to your wiring because the internal battery will provide all the power for the functions. I hope that helps. Happy riding, Tony

i thought i read somewhere in the manual that the LEDs for the tach and the temp didn't work unless it was hooked to a battery. i'll have to re-read it

according to all ive read, it is a stand alone unit not needing supplied power but the option to use it is available for conveinience.

Hey guys, do you know where i can get a LYNX or VAPOR at a good price and that they sell overseas?

Thanks.

I know tucker rocky sell them. Dont know if they ship overseas. They had them listed for the old 99 dollar price too. Got mine for 68 bucks. Ordered it wednesday.

Thanks Guys. I'll look at those sites.

By the way, Dave did you know that GAS GAS bikes are made (or at least the shop where they started the busines) at 10 minutes from my house?🤣

They started building trial bikes.

i thought i read somewhere in the manual that the LEDs for the tach and the temp didn't work unless it was hooked to a battery. i'll have to re-read it

That is what the manual says. I *think* that if you have it hooked into power from the stator that it will work normally as long as the motor is running. So you shouldn't need a battery to have it function normally, just the lights will go off/go on standby when the motor is off.

That's my take from the manual, I have it on the battery in my WR, so I can't swear that it will work on stator only.

I finally got a kit from ebay.

But even being a kit for XR400/XR650L '95-'06 the temp sensor is for a liquid cooled bikes.

I need the spark plug sensor instead of the hose type one. Do you guys know if i can get a spare part and where?

i have the lynx on my 05 kxf. I bought it mainly for the lap timing function. I have it wired directly to my stator. But after on hour I unpluged it. It made my bike so freeking hard to start. Ill plug it back in as soon as I get a little on/off switchs. Oh and the led and backlight only work when powered by on outside source. The LEDs on mine our for the lap timer. red was a slow lap and green was a fast lap. blink red was you slowest lap, and blink green was the fastest lap. And you can go and look at the specs of you laps. time, average time and distance,ect.

but mine was also 120 dollars

man, i didn't even remember this thread... i have almost everything hooked up on mine except the speed sensor and the power...and i still can't find a place to mount it where its out of the way...lol.

how did you guys go about drilling the hole in the caliper for the speed sensor? and how did you mount the actual unit?

wwe just hooked up the vapor on my buddies 125. We couldnt figure out what wires to splice in order to get the power, so we just left the power connection un-attached. We were kind of worried as to what it was for, but soon found out. The power supply is solely for the shift light and engine warning lights, aka the two LEDs on the top. With out the power supply hooked up, the LEDs will not work, but everything else does. The Vapor itself has a battery in it that runs it just like normal.🤣

Also, in case any of you were wondering about it, the Vaper will not show the engine temperature until it reaches 100* F. Untill it reaches 100, it will just show a "---". Another thing we were confused on is the RPM sensor. It said that all you have to do is wrap it around the spark plug wire 10 times, and your good to go. I couldnt figure out how that would work, and that it must of been wrong--but its right, all you do is wrap it around the wire 10 times, and you DONT strip the wire.

For my yz2550f I just hooked up the tach and speed sensor. I will be doing the engine temp soon. If you cannot hook up the computer to the bikes battery or stator then you can also hook it up to the 9 volt battery to get indicator lights to work. Drilling through the brake caliper was very easy with a good bit. I did not like the plastic mount that came with the vapor and did not want to pay $40 for their metal one. I was able to make one out of a piece of metal I had. I used rubber washers to obsorb the shock and it goes right in the tripple clamp and puts it in front of the bars or behind them. The nice thing about this is I only have to take off one bolt and the computer is off. This is nice for when I know its going to be below freezing so I can take it inside

Cuddies, the power wires let you have the vapor backlighted all the time, not just 3 seconds like when running only with the battery.