Turning 2000 503MX into a SM...?

What parts would I need to do to make my 2000 MX503 into a street legal SM style bike? Wheels, tires, Lowered suspension, bigger from brakes, blinkers, lights, ETC.

I live in Texas for DMV info.

I never get to ride this thing in the dirt anymore so I was curious what all would be involved.

Anybody have a old SM with a bad engine, where I could just swap the engine out? I could put it back in the MX frame when I want to ride dirt!

I hate that this thing sits in the garage collecting dust.

Street legal is a lot easier (cheaper) than full blown motard...

In Colorado, all you need is DOT tires, a headlight, taillight, brake light, a horn, and one mirror. Some states require turn signals.

Pretty straight forward, maybe a couple hundred bucks.

I suggest you simply call your Texas DMV and get the correct info...the requirements vary graetly state to state....some states like Colorado require a VIN inspection and if you know how, just some paperwork (you can get anything streetlegal here...). other states like California are much harder to make a non street legal bike into one that is....

Contact your state DMV motor vehicle compliance dept, they can tell you exactly what you need...and/or talk to one of your local dealers that has done this and can tell you/help you with it....

:ride: :ride:

• 2 weeks later...