Removing Pilot Jet

I did a search on removing the pilot jet and i didn't really come up with anything other than... switch the 40 pilot jet with the 42.. or ....

take off the float drain bolt and the main is right there.. and the pilot is a little bit more to the front...

how do you get it out??? do you need a special tool??? what size is the socket or driver you use??? If anyone has a more detailed explanation i would love to know.. i am about to do the JD jetting kit and want to change the pilot jet at the same time... thanks for your help

the pilot jet is super easy to replace... its right next to the main jet and you can access it by simply removing the drain bolt (17mm) on the bottom of the float bowl... the 6mm sized jet is your main and the pilot is right next to it.. it uses a small flat screw driver to remove... make sure you dont use a screwdriver that is too wide when re-installing because its commen for the screw driver to catch in the carb housing when tightening and make you think the jet is tight when its not. this will end up with the jet falling out and the bike stalling.. good luck.

The small flat blade screw driver will work good. (Don't over tighten the pilot jet or you will have trouble getting it out later) I've found that since you can only turn the carb a little bit, if I hold the cluth lever in it will move the clutch arm out of the way and lets me get a straight shot at the pilot jet. Otherwise, it's an easy job.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but I'm in the middle of doing a JD install on an 06 and I'm at the spot where you replace the pilot jet. So I think I've got the pilot jet located based on about a billion pictures and threads on it. It has a tiny flat head screw to remove it and it's in front of the float bowl drain bolt (17mm). I remove it and it has a spring and a washer (no o-ring). Now reading this thread, it says that the pilot jet doesn't have a spring, a washer, nor an o-ring. What did I unscrew? The fuel screw? If so, where the he!! is this d@mn pilot jet.

So when I unscrewed that thing, I tried to see if the spring would fit on the JD 42 pilot jet. The spring fits around the diameter, but it's about 1mm longer than the shaft of the pilot jet.

Can anyone help. Thanks a bunch in advance. I sincerely searched all over this website and couldn't figure out my problem. I'm sure I have many.

The pilot jet is next to the main jet and only is accessible by removing the float bowl or drain bolt. The fuel screw is accessible on the outside and has the oring, spring, and washer. If you are missing the oring it either fell out or is stuck inside from where you removed it. Find it or you have to buy a complete new fuel screw kit from Honda.

ok, got all that sorted out. thanks. so now, when i'm trying to remove the pilot jet, it's super tight and won't spin out. and no, my flat head screw driver isn't too wide and it isn't hitting the sidewall. if anything, it might not be thick enough because the screw driver rotates a fair amount before it engages on the head of the screw. anyone else had this problem. i'm kinda reluctant to spray anything in there.

and shit, i definitely lost the o-ring. i was super careful not to lose anything, but it must have fell out and i couldn't see it. is it a common size? can i get a new one from the hardware store?

I found the o-ring next to the front sprocket. The light was hitting it at just the right angle and I found it. Phew. But then I found out that the moto shop 4 minutes from my house sells the spring/washer/oring kits for $8 so even if I lost it, it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Well, thanks to all your guys' help and some patience owed to many bottles of barley pop, I finished working on my bike. JD kit, handguards, rad. guards, skid plate, air box mod, and exhaust mod. done deal. buttoned it all back up and she started up first try. now man, is that some throttle response or what.

thanks again everyone. this is the greatest website known to man. at least for dudes that ride dirt bikes.

ok, got all that sorted out. thanks. so now, when i'm trying to remove the pilot jet, it's super tight and won't spin out. and no, my flat head screw driver isn't too wide and it isn't hitting the sidewall. if anything, it might not be thick enough because the screw driver rotates a fair amount before it engages on the head of the screw. anyone else had this problem. i'm kinda reluctant to spray anything in there.

Mine was tight also, so I used an impact wrench with a thin tip. Worked like a champ. Just a light wack with a dead blow hammer, and it loosened right up. The trick is finding a thin tip. I guess I was lucky and the kit had one in it (from Pepboys).

You CAN access the PILOT jet without pulling carb or float bowl. It's finger fiddly but you can do it. Loosen the carb and turn it as much as you can, then as mentioned remove the main jet cover with a 17mm wrench. The pilot jet is way up in there in front of the main jet. Removal is ez, getting the new one back in can be a trick. My trick is to bend a piece of safety wire with a sharp dogleg, like a lightning bolt. The end of the wire can push up into the jet (and hold it) and the dogleg engage the screwdriver slot. You can then push it up there and get a few threads started then finish with a screwdriver.

The bad thing about going after the pilot this way is you have to guess what flat blade size to use unless you have some spare jets around to size up. Or if you don't care if you bugger up the one you take out.

yea, i just removed the rear shock and pulled the carb out the back where the shock normally is. i left all the hoses plugged in, but tilted the bottom of the carb out for access. if i ever have to work on this thing again, that's definitely what i'm doing at the very beginning. i tried to get to all of them with the carb where it is and it's nearly impossible with my hands.