Dry ice in gas tank

I just posted this in the jetting forum as well.

Well i was sitting around messing with some dry ice and i thought to myself, gas contains more power the colder it is right? Well since with dry ice, water doesnt come from it when it melts, just carbon dioxide gas. What if you put little chunks of dry ice in your gas tank, it would certainly chill the gas, and leave no water in your tank. The extra carbon dioxide would just go out the vent tube. Could i be on to something?

But, wouldn't some of the CO2 dissolve into the fuel?

Any CO2 you would get in there would mess up your combustion - as you need O2 to burn....

Now if they had solid oxygen - I would think THAT would be FAR better.

I just think the benefits of any cooler gas would be FAR negated by the addition of carbon dioxide into the gas.

But, wouldn't some of the CO2 dissolve into the fuel?

Any CO2 you would get in there would mess up your combustion - as you need O2 to burn....

Now if they had solid oxygen - I would think THAT would be FAR better.

I just think the benefits of any cooler gas would be FAR negated by the addition of carbon dioxide into the gas.

you can buy solid oxides (granular) from 1/4 mile performance shops to add to gas.

I just posted this in the jetting forum as well.

Well i was sitting around messing with some dry ice and i thought to myself, gas contains more power the colder it is right? Well since with dry ice, water doesnt come from it when it melts, just carbon dioxide gas. What if you put little chunks of dry ice in your gas tank, it would certainly chill the gas, and leave no water in your tank. The extra carbon dioxide would just go out the vent tube. Could i be on to something?

It would work if you put the dry ice in a container like a stainless steel vessel.

Actually you would most likely have better results by putting the Dry Ice in the air box. They do it with drag bikes and cars and it works. They put a containment device with a vent hose as not to displace the oxygen. You could drop a aluminum container or something similar made out of aluminum in the air box and vent it out with a tube. Yes this would work.

You want Oxygen in your engine, not co2 :ride:

The Dry Ice in the airbox is to cool the air. Cold air is more condensed than warm/hot air.

But I would also asume the venting gas from the Dry Ice would get sucked in and hinder performance.

It would carbonate thr gas? lol

me and my brother were being stupid and sucking on it and making our mouth smoke when we thought that if we put it in our grape juice it might carbonate it...

so we did it and it tasted carbonated.

i dont think this would be good for the engine...

Can someone PM me when there is a post about blowing up a bike like the Hindenberg?

Dry Ice boils at room temperature and turns into a gas.

You don't need more CO2 in your gas or air intake.

I hope the vent cap works on your tank otherwise the pressure will build.

Oxygen and Hydrogen are very explosive and really should not be messed with.

Gasoline is another highly explosive and readily available item.

Chilled gas is more dense. You would have to jet accordingly and it would be off when you weren't chilling.

Dissolved CO2 in the gas would make it less dense. In the combustion chamber seems to me it would act similar to water injection maybe?

Mixing liquid oxygen in the gas? I want to see that ...... from a safe distance. LOX mixes with hydrocarbons forming an unstable gel. Likes to detonate. Think nitroglycerin. They found that out in the early days of rockets when LOX dripped on asphalt while offloading trucks.

Give me a break. You are not going to be able to tell a performance difference from chilled gas. Maybe when you've perfected your riding technique will you benefit from such a small thing as cold gas.

Some magazine did a test on chilled gas. When the gas was like 20 degrees lower than the temperature outside it made an 1 extra horsepower. That was on a KTM 125SX. I dont know about you but that is quite a large differnace.