DRZ400SM or SV650

I've been riding a Ninja 250 for about a year, and I'm tired of fighting my g/f for it, and riding two-up on an already underpowered bike is annoying. I'm not tired of the bike, but I like to ride with my g/f...on a seperate bike.

I'll be purchasing either an SV650 or a DRZ400SM, and I've pretty much decided on the DRZ. Reliability is probably one of the largest deciding factors, and if the SV is going to have significantly longer maintenance intervals or be more reliable in the long run, I'll probably purchase the SV.

So, what type of maintenance/oil changes/valve checks/etc are required on the DRZ? How easy/time consuming are the procedures?

Other comparisons/comments are welcome, and if you have owned both bikes, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

I don't ride much on the freeway (usually under 10 miles at a time), and most of my riding is on 25-55 mph roads. I'm not a speed freak or anything and I absolutely love the twisties...

The SM definately suits me a bit better, but if it is going to cost a bunch more to maintain it, I'd probably rather have the SV.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Codgemiser--I'd definately prefer the SM over the SV for performance reasons/hooliganing, but I go to school/work full time and don't have a ton of extra cash. The SM saves quite a bit on ins., and it'll also save me money if I lay the bike down.

Everything I've read says that the DRZ400SM is extremely reliable...for a thumper. I'm trying to figure out how the apple compares to the orange in reliability. :ride:

I have both, and I usually ride my DR-Z SM as the SV is my daughter's. That said, I am pretty happy with either one. The SV wins hands down for compfort and with some modification has proven to be a good hooligan bike also. I put a TLS front end on it, a set of six pot calipers, and a Penske shock, Yosh system and re-jetted it. The little bike is great. you can wheelie it, stoppie it or scream dow the road on it. I run both at the racetrack and they are great. Cannot go wrong with either one. If you can, I would get a first generation SV as I like the looks better than the new ones and they are pretty easy to find with good race prep mods done already. Maintenance intervals are exactly the same. The DR-Z has lots of mods also.

Here is the DR-Z

P6243885.JPG

Here is the SV

P3222817.JPG

Thanks for the link!

I won't be riding two-up any more, and I can probably handle a bit of discomfort. Plus, I doubt my g/f would ask/try to ride the SM...so I think my decision is pretty much made.

Plus, I like the idea of having something a bit less popular. And with the money I save on insurance, I'll be able to afford lots of mods.

:ride::ride:

A Ninja 250 you say? Well my my.. with that kind of power to keep up with you should definitely get the 650!

Just kidding, be a man and get the SM. You'll thank me later.

Thing's made for mods, insurance is cheap as hell, nice on gas, and you can still take it down some trails.

DRZ400SM :ride:

I lived in the burly/ollala (sp?) area for several years. It would be idle to own an S in those conditions.

As it has only been subtly hinted at before..don't let the GF ride the SM..or you are goin to end up with two of them (motorcycles not girlfriends)

I lived in the burly/ollala (sp?) area for several years. It would be idle to own an S in those conditions.

As it has only been subtly hinted at before..don't let the GF ride the SM..or you are goin to end up with two of them (motorcycles not girlfriends)

...two girlfriends wouldn't be bad either!!!