Sign in to follow this  

Checking oil level on an E? Weird.

I have had my E for about a year and a half and use the typical way to check oil level. I use the idle three munutes, stop engine and wait an additional three minutes, then check oil. After replacing the mechanical seal for the waterpump I reassembled and filled with 1.8L of oil. I then started the bike, ran three minutes, waited three and checked; nothing on the stick.Ran it another 3 minutes, bike is now good and hot, check oil. Barely registering on the bottom of the stick. The manual suggests doing the check when the bike is cold, but how cold? It was about -5 celcius when I did the check. I am leery about adding more oil at this point because I know I put in 1.8L already. There also doesn't appear to be any oil in the coolant so I don't think that is where the oil is going. Any ideas?

I had he same "problem"!

Use the little hole on the right side of the engine. Losen the bolt and oil should be dripping out if you poured enough in there.

Right?

I've never been able to get the 3 minute thing to work on my DRZ or YZF. If you put in 1.8L, you're fine. Ride it a while and then check it. My first oil change, I put in the stated amount, did the 3 minutes check several times (adding more oil each time). Then rode a while and checked, and the oil level was too high.

The crankcase bolt should only be used when the bike is very cold...hasn't been started in a long while. the only time the crankcase holds oil is when the oil has had time to drain down from the sump in the frame.

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: CAL ]

This works for me every time.

Ride bike, Stop and let idle 10 to 20 seconds.

Shut bike off.

Let stand for one or two minutes.

Pull dipstick wipe it re-insert, stand bike up straight, and re-check.

With 1.8L. in bike it will read on the full line every time! :)

Oil expands when it gets hot. If you check it when it's cold (-5 would do it), you probably wouldn't see it on the dip stick. Check it when its good and hot, you will see it just like magic.

Could the SUMP in the frame be leaking??

I've been having the same problem!! No oil on dipstick! Did not want to add oil so I did an EMERGENCY oil change! Level was good after 50KM check! 300KM later NO oil on the dipstick! Not leaking it or burning it!

Where is it??? Could the SUMP in the frame be leaking??

HELP??

3 minute technique does not work for me either. I can let it run for 3 then cool for 3 and no oil. I found that if a let it warm up...ride around the block for a couple of minutes...let cool for 3-5 and check, it is usually right where it is suppose to be...