what to look for in purchase?

I'm looking to purchase a crf250x and need to know what to "watch out for" while looking for this bike. Are they commonly in need of top end rebuild, valving or anything else? If a bike has been "raced" or lightly raced what should I be cautious of/ Any help would be great!

rockaukum

I am in no way an expert as to the life span of the common CRF250X. If it has had a tank of gas run through it, then the valves have started to wear. If the bike has been maintained, and by that I mean, heavily wrenched on after a weekend of riding, and the owner knows how to check and maintain the proper oil levels in his transmission and crankcase, life expectancy is greatly lenghthened. If the bike has had a ton of engine mods done to it, then the life span is shortened, at least thats what it sounds like from reading the posts in this section. Now I have a 05 CRF250X which has just been rebuilt by Honda, and it has zero hours on the new motor. You might be able to pry this thing from under me for a decent price. The only thing I can't tell you is how well she runs, because I refuse to ride it. I want the new owner to break the bike in. As for me, I have had enough, I am moving on to something else.

I've got an 04 and have had no problems. I have kept the oil changed and the air filter clean and have done no mods and have not raced it .Buy from someone like DRH that has a new motor on it or one that is not expensive that if something goes wrong you won't take a beating. I love mine I like the way it handles and like the power band.I've Ridden a wr250 good bike but I like the x better. Would buy again no doubt.

My advice: If you want a 250X, buy it new.

Motosport in Hillsboro, Oregon will sell you a brand new 2005 for $4,999.

That's better than some bike that has been thrashed for a year or two.

Go to:

http://www.hillsboromotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_category.asp

I'm always suspicious of people who like their brand new bike so little that they get rid of it within 12 - 18 months.

If they really liked it, they'd keep it - - like the thousands of XR250 riders did for year after year after year.

I wish I could say it was all Hondas fault for my bikes short comings, but it isn't. I have had just the worst luck with this thing, that it has left a bitter taste in my mouth. It started with a hole in my transmission case, casued when some kind of side impack at the front sprocket cover caused the lower bolt to snap off at the center case leaving a hole and the loss of oil. Then it seamed like every time I loosened a screw or bolt, the damn thing would strip out. The original air filter lasted a total of two cleanings before falling apart. The rear brake pedal bolt stripped out as well. The last straw was when some sort of metal enter the engine through the intake system causing complete top end failure requiring a new head and valve train along with the piston and rings. My Honda dealer built me a new 06 head with kibblewhite vavles and spring kit. I do not plan on riding the bike so I can't say how it runs. I don't want to put any more money into this thing, so its up to its new owner to brake the bike in. I hope to get about 4800 for the thing as I just put 1400 into the thing.. I would guess the bike has about 400 miles on it. Its only on its second set of tires and I still kept the original tires should I ride it again in rocky conditions.

I've had nothing but good times and fun with my 250X. I take care of it religiously, keep a log, and have added only protection type stuff (ie. skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, etc). So far I've got over 5000 miles on the bike and would buy another in a heart beat. Generally, all I've done is change oil, keep the stock filter clean, and replace tires. So far so good. :ride:

If I was looking to buy a used 250X, I would definitely stay away from one that had the CCC mods or was heavily modified or from someone who didn't keep any logs and just changed oil/cleaned filters "whenever".

Raukaukum:

Like I said: Buy new for $4,999 with a 3 month warrantee and a dealer who - - hopefully wants to keep you happy - - or buy used for $4,800 plus no warrantee.

There's an obvious answer to this question.

BLZ :ride:

forgive me, I'm new to this. What are CCC mods? and it seems that just about everyone has done some sort of mod to their bike. How does one "trust" the work done and while looking at a bike what does one look or listen for? The new bikes are out of price for me (even at 5k) one has to figure in the wife aspect.....thanks for all the imput.

forgive me, I'm new to this. What are CCC mods? and it seems that just about everyone has done some sort of mod to their bike. How does one "trust" the work done and while looking at a bike what does one look or listen for? The new bikes are out of price for me (even at 5k) one has to figure in the wife aspect.....thanks for all the imput.

I bought an 04CRF250X with the CCC mods except for the pink wire mod. The bike had its first valve shim just prior to buying it. I paid $3100.00 and now on my third and last valve shim. I am now looking at about $450.00 to replace the valves and have the seats cut. After the work I should be good for another 2 to 3 years (hopefully)

before needing head work. I change my oils,filter,and clean air filter about every 150-200 miles.

I'm looking to purchase a crf250x and need to know what to "watch out for" while looking for this bike. Are they commonly in need of top end rebuild, valving or anything else? If a bike has been "raced" or lightly raced what should I be cautious of/ Any help would be great!

rockaukum

You could buy MY Low Hour CRF with a Pro Circuit ported Head on it (Ti Valves, Heavy Valvesprings e.t.c..

Or, you can find out about all the Costs and Options WHEN (not if) your Stock parts go bad.

Other than the Valves, the CRF 250 X is a VERY nice Bike. As compared to the Husky's we are on now, little bit less power but much more "user friendly" I would say.

Honda's Warranty is non-existant. You want a Warranty, try a Yamaha or a Husky.

I've had nothing but good times and fun with my 250X. I take care of it religiously, keep a log, and have added only protection type stuff (ie. skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, etc). So far I've got over 5000 miles on the bike and would buy another in a heart beat. Generally, all I've done is change oil, keep the stock filter clean, and replace tires. So far so good. :ride:

If I was looking to buy a used 250X, I would definitely stay away from one that had the CCC mods or was heavily modified or from someone who didn't keep any logs and just changed oil/cleaned filters "whenever".

anyone can just randomly write down a bunch of false entry logs and make it look completely genuine so buying a bike with logs kept means nothing, I could buy a new bike tomorrow sell it 1 year from now and a week before the sale I could fill the log book right up using different color pens and the buyer would not no wether I did every part over the year I owned the bike or if I just wrote all at once to get an extra buck, But as for the X I love my X but its not fast enough for dual sport (which I want a bike that I can use for dual sport) so Im selling the X and going for a KTM 450 EXC

When my 250X returns home with it's new top end, it too will be up for sale. I thought it would be an upgrade from my trusty Kawasaki KDX220, but it's no better to ride, and FAR more maintenance required. One poster mentioned heavy wrenching after every ride? We're talking Honda trail bikes here? Doesn't make sense when there's a proven truly bulletproof bike waiting in my garage...

anyone can just randomly write down a bunch of false entry logs and make it look completely genuine so buying a bike with logs kept means nothing, I could buy a new bike tomorrow sell it 1 year from now and a week before the sale I could fill the log book right up using different color pens and the buyer would not no wether I did every part over the year I owned the bike or if I just wrote all at once to get an extra buck, But as for the X I love my X but its not fast enough for dual sport (which I want a bike that I can use for dual sport) so Im selling the X and going for a KTM 450 EXC

I've kept a log of everything I did to mine along with keeping all the receipts and parts replaced. I don't know if this is a good thing come time to sell though. The prospective buyer could look at my log and say holy crap, you had to do all that to keep the bike running! :ride: I may just tear that page out, show him one piston, the old head and valves and say the top end is completely new, which it is.