1982 XR200R questions. and my intorduction.

I am waiting for my last few carb parts to get here, then I need both levers front brake and clutch, I need a compression release cable, I need the right side plastic cover, new tires and I need to put new shoes on it. I also need one piece of the air box. AS soon as I get teh carb assembled and the carb isolator gets here i will fire it up to listen to it run. So far no new pics it looks the same. I havn't mounted the tank yet until I get teh carb on. Just gives me more room to work. I also need a new seat. I am watching a few goodies on Ebay. I also need to get a rear fender. First I want the engine to fire up before I buy anything else for it.

When I tookt eh carb apart, it was the worst one I had ever seen. A couple days in the chem-dip cleaned it right up. now I am just waiting on teh final pieces so I can put it together. Once it runs I will hurry and buy everything else for it. I just want to hear it run first.

Yeah I have been t their site before. I am going to get a universal fender for $20 from a local dirtbike supply store. Wel,l I am going to take the bike over actually and we will test fit it first and make sure it looks ok. Like I said though I need ot get the last few carb parts here and my carb isolator and make sure everything runs ok. I presonally have never heard the engine run. It does turn over freely though. When I got the bike there was supposedly a crack in the case. I can weld aluminum so I figured no problem. However the case was full of oil and no crack to be found. I did however find the bolt whole that was missing it's bolt and a missing gasket. The guy told me he was riding the bike and oil started to pour out it. He filled it up started it up and oil still came out. The bike sat for about a year or so. I started kicking the bike over with out starting it and sure enough oil came out right where he said it would. Only not from a crack but from the missing bolt hole. I went ahead pulled the motor from the bike as I needed to paint the frame, and inspected for any cracks. I could not find a crack. When I kick it through now, no oil comes out. I want to get it running before I buy any of the other stuff, as if there is something wrong with the moto,r I would rather buy those parts first. I am on limited funds as my wife is due with our second child in a month and a half. I want to spend my money wisely. As long as I get it running, pieceing the rest of the parts needed to ride it will be easy. I also do not want to tear down the motor while trying to watch a newborn. I would rather do that before the baby is born if needed. I have been havign fun with this project though. I am very eager to ride it. I have the botom half of the carb reasembled. The carb isolator should arrive today or tomorrow. I have a feelign the only part I am missing for the carb bnow is an e-click and I bought a whole new needle assembley. I am sure it is due fo ra new needle assembly. Also the tip of the fuel screw broke off sitting on my bench so I am waiting for that part as well. I am glad it broke on the bench and not on the bike while I was out riding. It was just sitting there in a little cup and when I went to grab it back out it was broke. I guess after 24 years it was due to be replaced. I got a new slow jet already as well. I have a 36 and a 40 now. I also want to pick up a 38 and see which one works the best. They were out of rthe 38's when I was there. I will pick up more later. Also I do not remember if i stated in an earlier post but I already picked up a throttle and cable.

So for update purposes these are the parts I still need to purchase to actually ride the bike assuming it runs fine at start up.

Compression release cable

clutch cable

airbox snorkle

leavers for both sides of the bike

handlebar grops

new tires

new brake shoes front and rear

new seat or recover my old seat

right side plastic cover

rear fender

skid plate

Things I want to add or change

Front number plate. (I will be removing the headlight plate and updating it with a newer style)

rear toolbag

handlebar pad

You do not need an air box snorkel if you take them out you will have more airflow which results in more power. I took mine out and i could feel a little bit of a difference it pulled a little bit harder.

• Like 1

By snorkle I ment the piece on the side that goes from the airbox to the carb. Not the snorkle in the top of the airbox. I also will be removing that to allow more air in.

I have been reading about a 3x3 hole in the top and one guy whom had the whole top of his airbox cut out. I am nto sure how much I really need to take out being as my bike is stock with the exception of a supertrap exhaust. I guess I should research that some more.

I hadn't decided to do it yet. Just been reading about peopel whom had. I havn; thad time to do a good through search yet to see the pros and cons. For nwo I'll just remove the rubber snorkle and be happy. I think with being a stock motor I won't need to open the air box that much anyway.

The snorkel on my 82 xr is not separate from the airbox. You also do not need the decompression cable (I removed mine) a 200 is not hard to kick (my xr600 has to have it). The spring on the decomp. rod will keep it in the correct position.

• Like 1

If you are talking about the pastic that mouts on the frame below the seat, it is actually on the bike in the pics, just a bad angle to see it. Hard to believe I took two pics, both with bad angles. Thank you for looking close enough to my pics to help me determine what might be missing and I will need. If you or anyone one elses notices anything else missing from either the bike or my list please let me know.

I got the rest of my carb parts today. I am just waiting for the next Carb isolater to get here to be able to put my carb on the bike. I will hopefully have it running by this next weekend. Then I can get the rest of the parts to complete the bike and go for a test ride.

Another small update. I got a skid plate,air box and seat that I won. So that's a couple more parts I do not need to look for. I do not recall if I mentioned it or not, but I did paint the exhaust. I had originally planned on black but they were out of it. I got aluminum colored and painted it that color. I will install it and see how it looks. I think it will look fine and help bring my aluminum colored swing arm into the scheme of things with my black frame. I have to remember to get a spark plug soon. I havn't picked one up yet.

I havn't really made any progress that warrants pics. I am waiting on an intake I bough tto get here. I still need to buy the plastics for one side. Once I get the carb on I will get the exhaust back on. Then I can take a pic showing that. I am also waiting on my air box I bought to get here. I need the right side plastic and a rear fender as well as all the front brake and clutch control. I'll get some pics once the exhaust is on.