1982 XR200R questions. and my intorduction.

nice thread here! i just registered and read the entire thread. great job on the 200r fordfreak! i have an 80 xr200 an uncle bought brand new and is in the same condition as your 200r was when you started.

i rode it quite a bit for a summer about 7 years ago until the fuel mix screw fell out of the bottom of the carb and so it sat parked ever since then(bikebandit miraculouslystill had the mix screw set in stock for this so i got one yay).

and now i am only a couple parts away from running it again after all this time finally!

(it is the 200 plain jane dual shock model like another member in this thread has and i need to get a hold of him- if possible).

i will have before and after pics in about a month or so.

right now i am working on new rear wheel bearings on it, in which are dirt cheap, and that i have already removed because they were junk.

rear brake shoes separated and are cheap also yay.

bearings1.jpg

any idea what the two greasy little cotter pin things are in the pic ?? they camefrom the axle area somewhere when i was removing the axle bolt and wheel. i have no clue what they came from ?? apparently they are not important.. hmm..

the clutch pack is stuck engaged from sitting but i think i can unstick it once i fire it up and brake accelerate it once real good.

and weld the exhaust front and rear pipes back together where the joint is missing, with a steel sleeve.

the headlight is still stock original like yours and i will register and plate it and drive it on the streets also since my uncle still has the original title to it yay.

all we have to have here in IL to ride a bike on the streets are:

front and rear lights,

and a pair of glasses.

its great to see someone put so much effort into one of these old XR's!

rare thing that is it seems!

i really like the XR200 and will always own it.

i was wanting to find out if anyone knew where the heck i can find the carb throttle slide needle and retaining clip for the old xr keihin carbs they put on these old xr's ? mine are missing.

also i need to finda rear fender like youhad to but i want to find a stock original one not a universal one so i can put astock taillight assembly on it in which i have located already.

it also needs rear shocks pretty badly.

so if that other member above with a 200 needing rear shocks knows where to find new ones lemme know!

because i cannot locate any place with them for these!

at all! no where!

thanks for anything!

anyone!

I am not sure about those clips. I will be out int eh garage in the next day or so working on bike and I will look them up in my Clymers manual. As far as the slide parts you can go directly to your Honda dealer and order them or hondaparts-direct.com has them also if you want to order them from there. I actually got my new needle and clip from my local honda dealer using the part number from hondaparts-direct.com It took them a few days to get it in. Look on e-bay for the seat and you can probably find the rear fender with the tail light on it there also for pretty cheap. I saw the seat and fender part in your sig.

I am glad you like my bike. I don't have the stock front light/number plate on it any more. I updated it to one from an XR650 that I got off of e-bay. I use a 12v dual filament bulb as described in one of my above posts. I am also going to be fitting an L.E.D. rear light onto the bike as soon as I make the bracket for it to mount too.

Edit: before posting this I looked up the rear brakes in my manual. I don't see where those cotter pins came from but they don't exist in the manual. I am unsure what they are used for but the manual does not showing anything of the such for the front or rear brakes.

thanks fordfreak :moon:

i will check the partsdirect site out and hope i can find a honda bike dealer in central IL here but i dont think one exists here hmm.. not much of anything exists here :busted:

the two unknown clips are still a mystery...haha... maybe they were already on the concrete under where i am working on the bike at and are from something else maybe.. there are lots of carand truck parts laying around near the bike, so hmmm they could be from something elsei disassembled in there..

hmm...

i am keeping this 200 forever as well.

i found a stock correct seat and taillight assembly for 40 together.

also, i found a salvage yard online that just disassembled a complete 80 xr200!

so maybe i am in luck

good luck! and happy holidays!

Well i got the forks apart today. The Allen screw on the bottom of both forks was a night mare. I had to drill them in pretty deep and use an easy out to get them out. Luckily I was able to find 2 matching #6 allen head bolts in my garage. I was able to get the new seals in this evening and get the forks mostly reassembled. I still need to slide them in the bike and fill them with fork oil and put the springs in. My wife was kind enough to scrub and clean parts for me. I should have the forks back on the bike tomorrow in which I will take a nice test ride down the street. Man, one side was leaking really bad and the seal looked horrible when I pulled it out.The other side was completely fine and still had air pressure in it from my last ride. The side with the bad seal also had very little oil come out of it. Hopefully the weather holds out and is as nice on Sunday as it has been the last few days and I can get the bike out and ride it some more.

I do want to try out a cr125 front end one day as I would like to have the disc brake up front for those wet conditions where drum brakes just don't work as good. I havn't seem anything too promising as fast as a read disc with out changing the rear swing arm. I really don;t want to change the rear swing arm as per results I have read don't match my riding style and won't be the best for the areas I ride. There is always the possibility of having tabs tig welded on but I need find out how much that will change the structural integrity and strength of the rear swing arm.

Happy Year Everyone!!!

I think there is more work involved in using a CR125 front. It's an over kill and it changes the geometry of the bike. Think about using an XR250 front end. It bolts on with no mods and they're less expensive. That's what I used on my XR200 and it worked great.:busted:

hmm wow it sounds like i wont be messing with my front forks then... hmmm...

forks are a real gray area for me, i have never touched any, so i have no clue at all about them.

i know mine are worn out but i see no real way to do anything about it.

if anyone could take pics of removing and disassembling old early style xr200 forks that would be great, even just seals and boots replacement ??

or info on what later front end years and models definitely fit these bikes with minimal modifications, and how to do it ?

good luck!

I didn't take any pics of rebuilding my forks. If you get a clymer's manual then you will see what to do.

I didn't get to test my forks out today but I did bounce them around a bit on the driveway and no leaks and they felt stiffer. I will test ride it up and down the street tomorrow to see how they do and make sure they are not leaking. Now the fork that was leaking the worst had gouges in it with burs on teh end where some one had previsously tried to remove the seals the wrong way. I filed those down smooth and they seem to be ok. I still plan to change to forks one day so I can have a disc up front. I am also going to research on a rear disc also.

I still plan to change to forks one day so I can have a disc up front. I am also going to research on a rear disc also.

I think that the swing arm from a XR250 might work on the XR200. It would require some machine work to make it work. I thought about putting one on my bike before I sold it.

There was another thread talking about the xr250r swing arm and I think it was determined that it was too wide to work. I am going to search around the net and see what i can dig up about it though. I did a simple search today and didn't find anything yet.

The thread I was talking about did all the measurements. It will be a little while until I worry about the rear brake. I will probably just end up tig welding on some brackets and mounting a caliper my self.

I did do some testing on the front forks today and they seem to be sealed up just fine. No fork oil came out. I didn't really get to ride it to really check it out the way I want to but that will come soon enough.

I will be trying to add a 1998 XR250R rear disc to my bike. I just need to buy the wheel and disc, the rest of teh parts are on their way. Got a good cheap Ebay find. I'll post up more later on my plans.

I'm interested to see how this works out; a rear disc would be nice.

I think Yogi Bear used an XR600 swingarm on his; check his posts out, his 200 is sweet...:thinking:

By the way, I have a front wheel, drum brake (with lever), an axle, and freshly serviced forks from my '83 XL200R just laying around, if anyone needs 'em p.m. me...

Yes Yogi and I have already typed to each other about this on another thread of mine. The problem is that the 81-83 XR200Rs are 1/2 narrower than the swing arm from the bigger bikes. The swing arm won't fit. I will get a rear disc on my bike and I will post up how I did it so others can do the same. I have all of teh parts except the wheel and disc it's self on the way. Once I get those I can begin fabrication. I will update on it when it takes place.

I took the bike out today and had a blast riding it. The rebuilt forks were so much better than previously. I actually did some descent small jumps and they were perfect for me. I had a problem with my front brake being too tight and when I would pull on the lever the front would slide. My rear brake is crap and really needs a new rear hub. I am addressing that buy changing to a rear disc set up that I am going adapt to fit. I will adjust the front brakes looser so they don't lock up so easily. I was seriously thinking of a cr125 front end until today. I have a 1/2 spacer on top of the springs in the forks and that with the new seals really made the front end just where I want it. The drum brake on the front stops good enough I think I will keep it and use the rear disc. When I go through water, which I did today, I will still be able to use the rear disc brake. I made a few other adjustments on the bike as well before this ride and it preformed awesomely. The sand washes that were so hard before were a breeze this time out. The whole bike seemed more stable. Running over woops this time was a blast. Roll onto the throttle and pull the front wheel and ride it over the next woop, rinse and repeat. I am loving this bike more and more each time I ride it. And to think that it is already my favorite bike I have ever owned.