Sign in to follow this  

1982 XR200R questions. and my intorduction.

Hey all i just got a 1982 XR200R for a great price. Free. I am used to 2 strokes but here in california they now have to use a red sticker and can only ride in the winter. So I decided to look for a 4 stroke when this baby fell in my lap for free. Someone painted it all yellow, Plastics tank and frame. Well it is missing one plastic for one side and the rear fender is missing. The throtle cable and assembly is missing, needs a brake lever. The carb needs rebuilt, it needs a spark plug. The seat has holes in it. But it was free. So now I will start with the questions.

What all would I need to do to fit a newer style tank,seat and rear fender on this bike? I really like the look of the newer stuff. I am assuming the tank would be just welding on new tabs to mount it too. But how about the seat? What about the rear fender what all would need to be changed there? I'll be searching out parts while I am disassebling the bike to paint the frame silver. Why someone painted it yellow is beyond me. I am missing the gas cap as well. For this old bike I may be having to do some hard searching for stock parts so I figured if I can get some new parts on with out too much trouble it might work out better for me. I am no stranger to fabrication, I just want to know how detailed and what exactly needs to be done so I can start visualizing it and also compairing prices and availability of parts. Thank you in advance for your replies. I am looking forward to getting this bike back up and running so I can see what it can do.

• Like 1

Check out ebay for parts ............... and it may be easier to just get a newer frame for it to modernize it.

If you can't find a gas tank on eBay, try a new one from Clarke Plastics. They are good people to work with. I've bought three tanks from them in the past 4 or 5 years. Call them and ask about fitting. They are very helpful.

Just check out eBay. You could almost build an entire bike with the parts they have available.

P.S. I wont hold the Ford freak against you since you ride honda. :ride:

I do have the gas tank right now but was wanting to pu ta newer style gas tank on the bike so I could use a newer style seat. What teh gas tank doesn't have is the gas cap. I am sure I could find one that would fit.

dfcfu342 I am glad you don't fact against me that I drive a ford cause I drive a chevy too. I have an 84 Mustang GT that is street/strip but more strip, the chevy is an 89 Sububrban with a 502 in it. I'll see if I can get some pics hosted up of the bike.

Thats going to be badass when you get it all finished. Good Luck!

Thanx. I amvery excited about it. I dohave the carb and related parts they just aren't on the bike in the pics. After it has sat so long I figured I better rebuild ittoget somefresh seals in there and just make sure it is up to par. I am removing everything to paint the frame silver anyway. I really want a newer styleseat on it. I need to figure out if I can just fab that up to fit or if I will need a new tank for it to line up too. I guess Ijust need todo some research and compair everything. I want to do any of the small fabbing on the frame before I paint it. I am still in the learning process about this bike so it may take a bit for me to get started. I want to learn a few things first and search and see what others have done. Does anyoen know the size of bolt that goes into teh left side case? It ismissin gone and leaking a little oil from there. Imight as well go pick one up now so I don't have the case open to the elements there. I live in the desert, where air can go sand will go.

If i were you i would paint the frame black but whatever just a suggestion haha

I decided to check out the carb today. I tried to bolt it up into position first to make sure it fit ok, it was the wrong carb. The bolt wholes did not line up at all. Anyone know what year carbs are the same as a 82 xr200r? I am going to be in search of one now.

Edit: I was just lookign at pics of other XR200Rs and there appears to be a black piece bewteen teh head and the carb. Maybee I have the right carb after all. CAn anyone post up a close up pic of the carb and what i think is an intake mainolfd? I may just be needing the manifold.

Yes ...there is a rubber insulator between the head and carb.

Here is the parts fische for your bike If its the 82 XR200R.

There is also an XR200 listed for 82 as well.

Check the cylinder head section for the carb insulator.

The parts fische is the best way to see whats missing and get a good idea of price from a dealer. Although this places prices are alot cheaper than my local shop.

82 XR200R

• Like 1

yes i already looked at teh fische to see that indded I am missing the carb insulator so i will need to get one of those, now I can get back to rebuilding my carb. My bike is definately a xr200r not the xr200. Thank you very much for your help.

Another thought would be to use CRF230/150 plastics. There are some on ebay right now. It will look more up to date. Also, if you ever have ignition problems, get an 1987 or later ignition. You can get them on ebay too.

bodhisattva youjust want me to get done so we can go riding. :ride:

socalxr thankyou for the ideas. I willhave to look farther into that and see what i can come up with.

LOL...do you know who i am on schp?

Yeah you will be ridding behind me due to being 450cc shy ahahahahh j/p

yes your 9.50mark I rememebr your thread on SCHP not long ago about your new bike. And hey you migh thave mroe cubes on your bike but I got mine for a much better price :ride: Tomorrow I am gonan do some quick parts searching at a local store that apparantly has a bunch of older bike stuff here and then get that motor out and get it down to the bare frame and start sanding.