Kx 100 ??

I started my wife this summer on a ttr-125, she out grew it in about 5 rides. She was a little short and inexperienced for a ktm 200 etc... so we went with a kx 100. She loves the improvement in breaks and suspension. Like the power as well, especially in the desert. However, traction and throttle control is a little bit of a problem in some tighter stuff. She copes fine, but I think she would have more fun if we put a flywheel weight on the bike. I know the KX 100 is popular with the ladies, so I thought I would ask here; have any of you done this mod, and if so, which brand and which weight? I want to smooth it out, not make it a slug!

Thanks

Hey Kenpo1- We put a 10 oz flywheel weight on my little Grasshopper and that doesn't slug it out too much. Not quite as snappy as stock, but it does a little better on the bottom. These pics have been posted before, but it was such a fun trip and applicable to relieve your concern about slug-ness, so here they are again: Pics of KX100 on 5MOH

hey, I know the gal on the KTM in the pic's, she lives about 60 miles from me. Do you still ride with her? and are you on the 25 hr. team with Katy? excellent pic's, looks like you got around just fine. Do you still have the kx100? a friend is thinking about getting one, and she looks about the same size as you. Looked like you could touch really well.

Thanks for the input! Was it a Steahly or a GYT-R?

gyt-r makes fww's for kawi's? hmm.

we put a 14oz steahly on ours. it's still nowhere near being a slug. just a little easier to control at trail speeds. i can't think of any good reason not to have a fww unless you're racing mx at a high-level and never have to worry about using the first few gears.

mw

How would a KX100 do in woods with a FWW? I am in need of a new bike and I'm the same hieght as a female (5' 5", 120#) I never will race motorcross but have played around with the idea of doing harescrambles.

at 5-5 i think you're plenty tall enough to ride a bigger bike. kx100's are great for really timid people, or really short (5' or under) fast folks. if you find the stock height of even a low bike like a ktm 200 to be too much, you can lower it a couple inches (suspension, subframe, shave seat, or all 3) and have much more versatile bike imho.

Hey Kenpo1- We put a 10 oz flywheel weight on my little Grasshopper and that doesn't slug it out too much. Not quite as snappy as stock, but it does a little better on the bottom. These pics have been posted before, but it was such a fun trip and applicable to relieve your concern about slug-ness, so here they are again: Pics of KX100 on 5MOH

GREAT pics . Looks like an awesome place to ride.

I was reading that the KX100 was a bit more tame than the YZ85, yet it is the same size. My son is getting ready to move up to a bigger bike and I was thinking maybe I should look into the KX100 instead of the YZ or CR 85. Any suggestions ?

I wouldn't say the KX100 is tamer than the 85's. I am 5'4 110 I started on a KX100. I loved the power it was a great starter bike. I did have about 50 crashes because of whiskey throttle. If I was on a 125 the wouldn't have happened. Six months after I began riding I decided to race. I raced against 250f's and 125's. I had to ride my butt off to keep up with them it usually resulted in a couple crashes. I got a KX125 shortly after and a week after I got the 125 I won my first race. Turns out all though the 125 is a little bigger it is alot easier to ride whether you are racing or just riding around. There are mods that can be done to make it suit a smaller rider. I had to have a steering stabilizer to race mine the one race I had without a stabilizer I flew off the track and hit a tree. That was because I had never experienced headshake before. We put springs for a lighter rider and lowered the shock. I have no problem riding it and I am glad I decided to get a 125.

hey, I know the gal on the KTM in the pic's, she lives about 60 miles from me. Do you still ride with her? and are you on the 25 hr. team with Katy? excellent pic's, looks like you got around just fine. Do you still have the kx100? a friend is thinking about getting one, and she looks about the same size as you. Looked like you could touch really well.

Hey Wightfoxx- Yup, that's Katy and I totally enjoy riding with her. I'm not really competetive, though, so I didn't do the 24Hr thing. Ray B is also calling me a weenie-head for opting out of the upcoming enduro here too. I dunno why I'm not competetive. Maybe someday I'll have to try racing. Enduros do sound like fun, so I am curious. Oh, and I really cannot touch the ground; I just fake it well. Ya know, I'd like to head out your way and ride some of your trails sometime!

Dirtyriders110- Velo is totally right on target. I'm under 5' tall. If I were your height, I'd be riding a KTM200 I think. Velo has words of wisdom!

RyanK- Totally go with the KX100 for your son since you ride technical woods and all. I was family camping not long ago and I couldn't keep the ten year olds off of my bike. They wouldn't give it back and I got stuck riding their 85s and it wasn't as much fun at all. But, it was fun to see the kids having a kick on my bike!

Ray B is also calling me a weenie-head for opting out of the upcoming enduro here too. I dunno why I'm not competetive. Maybe someday I'll have to try racing. Enduros do sound like fun, so I am curious.

Weenie-head x 2 !!!!

Too bad you won't be there, should be fun!

:ride:

SALT, anytime your in our neck of the woods, let me know and we'll hookup. I'm not sure if Katy is racing again, she had a HELL of a wreck up in WA. and was down for a while. But, i'm sure she's at it again, she's very tough!! take it easy, and hope to ride with you soon. :ride:

Hey Wightfoxx, I was talking to my friend Saltamones from Colorado on the phone tonight, and she told me about your posting. I had to check it out to figure out who it was. The minute I saw the spelling I knew who it was. Glad to see you posting on the forum. I haven't been racing but I have been riding and doing some trail work. I returned to work July 5th. I was able to ride 5 days at Taneum over the holiday weekend and we had a great time. I will be riding a couple of days with Saltamones soon and can't wait.

Saltamones works miracles on that grasshopper of hers. She is to short to touch so she always has that bike wound tight. She is very selective where she stops. I hope you do get to ride with her sometime you would be totally impressed.