Sign in to follow this  

DRZ Ignition failure

Hello,

Its been a while since I've posted but the site looks good! Any how, I was out riding the other day in NH and about 15 min after being a little hard to start after stalling it up a hill, it felt like it was getting very intermittent spark, eventually died after barely sputtering to a stop. :ride:

Definetly some type of ignition problem, carb and filter are good, fuel and spark plug are fine. Could get some spark out of it while kickin it over (to ground), then it started up and ran fine. It was a hot day, and after about 2 min of riding it did the same thing. So I pushed for a while and it started right up in about 5 min. Etc.

Finally today I got a chance to check it out, and I found on the ignition coil .6 ohm primary to ground and 6.47-6.5 thousand ohms on the secondary, to ground of course. This is to the ignition wire itself, not through the plug cap. So for giggles I tested the cap, and found something like 150k ohms straight through the cap. I figured it could be a resistance type cap, but is this a normal rating? Seems kinda high for me!

Any help or other test procedures for the sending, er pickup coil (the one under the left case) would be a big help! Thanks alot guys. :ride:

Normal resistance for a plug cap is about 5,000 ohm. But even a 150K ohm cap does not mean much when you hit it with spark voltage. I would change the cap but that is not your problem. Likely one of the 2 coils in the stator. One feeds crank angle info and the other feeds RPM. Likely the crank angle sensor (the one on the outside) but very hard to test. You can check for open and short but that is about it and you already know it is intermittent so it will probably test good cold. The only good test I have heard of is to use a scope and look at wave form if you know somebody that is really into electronics.

Thanks Noble...I'll check to make sure the screw/spring that actually holds the plug is not damaged. I'm assuming you are talking about an oscilloscope? I think my dad might have one...I'll save that for last.

I was reading throught the archives and apparently there are is listed in the service manual the procedure for testing (for short and open I'd assume) those 2 coils right through the connector under the seat. If anyone out there has a manual and that info.... :ride:

Well I don't know if its good for anything, but I tested the small plug that goes to the ign. box, and found .3-.4 ohms between the black and white, and 495-500 ohms between blue and green, and nothing between any other combination, black and green etc. No shorts to ground, and I know this is done cold and probably doesn't mean much either way. I also found a good bit of corrosion on the primary spark (low voltage) wire connector at the box.

Anyone know where I can find a cheap flywheel puller for the DRZ?

Well I don't know if its good for anything, but I tested the small plug that goes to the ign. box, and found .3-.4 ohms between the black and white, and 495-500 ohms between blue and green, and nothing between any other combination, black and green etc. No shorts to ground, and I know this is done cold and probably doesn't mean much either way. I also found a good bit of corrosion on the primary spark (low voltage) wire connector at the box.

Anyone know where I can find a cheap flywheel puller for the DRZ?

Motion pro is the cheapest I've found.. The TT store got me mine, for the best price I could find. Chechk your pm.s for info on testing the stator by the manual