Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X PLEASED or REGRET your purchase

I have to say I regret my purchase. Amazing little bike. Great power, amazing suspension and handling. Lightweight for what it is. Questionable reliability (note: I never had valve trouble with mine), pain in the butt to work on. I'm on a smoker now and couldn't be happier. Do I miss the low end torque of the thumper? Yes, but the light zippy pinger makes up for it. Ease of maintainence was a huge selling point for me as well. I loved my CRF, but the SX was more my cup of tea. I would reccommed the CRF to anyone interested in 250F trailbikes. Wanna buy mine?

Agent man,

I have a comment or 2 or 3 etc etc.

The pink wire mod has little or nothing to do with the issues. The R model does not use the limiter and ir experiences the same faults. The X cam is said to be milder but when you plug the numbers into Cam doctor or just spec out the cam and start up excel and do the math, you will find that the X cam puts just as much stress on the CRF valves as the R cam does. The float that happens is not the typical float that occurs at hi rpm when the springs reach their limits. The ramp angle on the cam is so steep that a gap or slap occurs right at the very opening and close of the valve. That micro slap just beats up the coating on the valve. the force produced by this slap is incredible.

Now that what I mentioned can be proven mathimatically add to it the other factors, a tad of micro dirt that other engines (without the slap) can digest properly, production variants of the valve seat run outs, all add to the problem. I personally reproduced the failure more than once. I also took care with blue printing a stock set of OEM parts and got them to last within their scope. I also over rode the bike under both build to produce the wear that some "regret". To me it is normal. I can only say that 2000-3000 + miles is very possible without incident. Honda themselves state alot lower expectations and you should too.

Again I am not beating up you guys but saying your bike is not the one that is going to fail because you maintain it better is BS, sorry for being blunt.

This is a great forum and I enjoy being a jerk once or twice every thousand posts by lower my guard and posting on these threads, it is a nice change since I do not drink, take drugs or even smoke...it still cause brain celldamage like fuel and oil threads!!!!

Point well taken.

However, 9 out of 10 of the morons on here that have had issues all seem to have a couple things in common:

1) pink wire mod

2) 04 or 05 model year

3) don't clean airfilters ( or use the grease to seal the edges )

4) don't change oil often enough

I have only heard of one or two failures with the 06 model ( which I have ).

I have over 2000 miles on mine, the valves are perfect and the inside of the engine is clean enough to eat off of.

You can talk "micro slap" or "macro slap" all you want. You have not taken into account maintenance issues or the fact that the California bikes have a totally different cam than the 49 states bikes.

Some people can screw up a wet dream!!! they should not own the "race" bikes. they should get the CRF 230 and be happy.

pretty ironic i dont change oil very often dont clean air filter very often use grease to seal the edges and i got an 04 and I have no valve issues in fact i got about 3600 km on the valves and piston, in my opinion stay off the rev limiter and you will be fine

Over Revving is not good on any machine. How you maintain it is always a factor. The Science says it is in the design. Seasoned tuners like RHC and others all agree that the spring design is the culprit. They have seen pro riders that live on the rev limiter have better valve life than the mom and pop trail team. Why? The steep ramps of even the X cam including the Calf cam and the springs can enhance that bouce we see at the meat of the rpm range, 8000-9500, this is where most guys ride, the pros line above 10K. So the average joe has found the sweet spot of power and that is where the spring design and the other factors cause the failure.

Have fun gang...

Over Revving is not good on any machine. How you maintain it is always a factor. The Science says it is in the design. Seasoned tuners like RHC and others all agree that the spring design is the culprit. They have seen pro riders that live on the rev limiter have better valve life than the mom and pop trail team. Why? The steep ramps of even the X cam including the Calf cam and the springs can enhance that bouce we see at the meat of the rpm range, 8000-9500, this is where most guys ride, the pros line above 10K. So the average joe has found the sweet spot of power and that is where the spring design and the other factors cause the failure.

Have fun gang...

That's interesting, I haven't heard that before. I never hit the rev limiter but I'm probably in that range quite often if the trail opens up.

I want to go on record as not regretting buying the crfx. Despite frequent rebuilds I have had an absolute blast on this bike and I was ready to buy another but it all came down to dealers. I ride with the KTM dealer every week and our families are friends so I wanted to give him my business, that and the new KTM is going to be a great machine. Otherwise I would've bought another, probably R this time and I could have saved alot of money since I have alot of parts and accessories that would transfer.

Interesting thread.

I bought an '05 250X at the end of 2005. Probably have about 250 miles on it. 50/50 Trail/ MX Track. Like many others, I love riding the 250X. Suspension, handling, power are all great. As you would expect with only 250 miles not much in the way of maintenance yet other than 4 air filter changes and 2 oil changes (with filter).

It's tough to nail down "the cause" of the failures described here and elsewhere. Though I'll say I sorta wish I blew off the $500 I saved on buying the '05 over the '06.

Looking to buy a '07 250R at the end of the year because I find myself at the track more than the trail lately. More tracks than trails where I am...

In the mean time, I'll just keep changing the oil and the air filter (and grease it!) and avoid any engine mods. Things got more than enough power for me. If I spend any cash on mods, it'll be on the suspension. Given my skill level (novice) that's where my $$$ is probably best spent...aside from seat time... :thumbsup:

In response to the original point; our '04 250X is currently in the shop getting a $2000 engine job... We trail ride, no racing, no super high revs. Maintain it properly. While it's a good high performance bike, I think it is far too maintenance intensive. We bought our six bikes to ride, not do top ends every 50 hours. We will be selling ours, after throwing $2000 into it, and buying another Kawasaki KDX220 or 200.

Slightly off topic but poking around the TT store I noticed a KDX200 listed yesterday.

our '04 250X is currently in the shop getting a $2000 engine job...

:thumbsup: for what?

Im only 14 and i have my own 2006 250x and i love it so much changing the oil every 50 miles is worth it! :thumbsup:

That's interesting, I haven't heard that before. I never hit the rev limiter but I'm probably in that range quite often if the trail opens up.

I want to go on record as not regretting buying the crfx. Despite frequent rebuilds I have had an absolute blast on this bike and I was ready to buy another but it all came down to dealers. I ride with the KTM dealer every week and our families are friends so I wanted to give him my business, that and the new KTM is going to be a great machine. Otherwise I would've bought another, probably R this time and I could have saved alot of money since I have alot of parts and accessories that would transfer.

Dances....

RHC and I have spoken about this many times on older threads here at TT.

I spend last Friday night on the phone with a chemist/engineer. He is into the math and science of what we do and F1 teams, Nascar, Super bikes, Karts, Sleds etc etc. Thru data aquisition andprograms like cam doctor you can really analyze what is going on. As I mentioned and others the ramp angles are way steep. A gap occurs and loads of G Forces on the valve seat. The best way to stop this is super stiff springs that won't tear up and stress the components. The Honda springs just happened to produce weird results with some cam shafts ( varied rpm range) and when this bounce or jumping the gap on the cam is combined with production valve seats that may not be machined perfect the problem amplifies, hence the early failures for some folks.

I am looking very hard at getting the KTM 250 XC-F also, the motor makes comparable power to a tweeked CRF but at a lower RPM (that can only be a good thing) and the New Showa inspired forks are said to be the bomb for agressive off road racers... :thumbsup:

Great point. I see alot of these yahoos spending their money on annodized doodads but very few putting any money at all into suspension.

That is what will make you faster. If the bike handles well, your confidence increases and you'll be able to use more power.

Suspension is the first major mod we do other than the break in process/teardown and jetting. :thumbsup:

I am looking very hard at getting the KTM 250 XC-F also, the motor makes comparable power to a tweeked CRF but at a lower RPM (that can only be a good thing) and the New Showa inspired forks are said to be the bomb for agressive off road racers... :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, only the sx and sxf's get the new closed chamber forks. The rest will have the standard WP open chamber forks. This is the only thing I'm a little apprehensive about as I had them on 2 Gas Gas's and didn't like them although I hear they have improved. I've got everything to build my own subtanks to add some plushness hoping that will get them close. I've considered swapping my showas from my X to the xcf but I doubt I will. My dealer said it could be here as early as next week but most likely the first week of August.

I thought about buying a 250X for a year. Then I rode a 450EXC and never thought about the X again. The KTM is so much better for me. If you do still have to have a Honda, get the 450X. It is nothing like the R version, very controllable power. It would suck to be underpowered.

Unfortunately, only the sx and sxf's get the new closed chamber forks. The rest will have the standard WP open chamber forks. This is the only thing I'm a little apprehensive about as I had them on 2 Gas Gas's and didn't like them although I hear they have improved. I've got everything to build my own subtanks to add some plushness hoping that will get them close. I've considered swapping my showas from my X to the xcf but I doubt I will. My dealer said it could be here as early as next week but most likely the first week of August.

I was not sure on which models came wioth the new forks, dealer info and the net has been very lame.

My suspension tuner has told me that he has worked with the new twin chamber and said he can make them better than the CRF fork he has done for us. He said it takes some magic inside but he has great success with them. He recommends me getting a set of those forks for our current 250SX as he said my son would love them. He has our 250SX suspension now for a mid season tune up and updates.

Time will tell.

technically all of them do. they have to be in his name. but i make the payments. so yes, you are technically correct.

How is your maintenance ritual ?

Keen to Know?

Bar the probs still keen on an X

my maintenace ritual is almost non existent, stay of the rev limiter and your valves will last, dont run low on oil often and they will last, thats all I have done

I had an xr for 10yrs and now have a crfx for 2yrs. The xr really was,change oil, clean air filter and ride. The crf is almost the same but so far I've had to check the valves 3-4 times a yr and adjust them 1-2 time per yr. Not looking forward to doing full top end. Never had to replace a valve on xr but have heard you do it alot on the crf. I ride hard but stay of rev limiter and I miss the xr but I love the performance and handling of the crf. For now I'm staying crf but if I rode alot of sand I think the xr better in long run. Good luck and either way both bikes are great. :thumbsup: