Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X PLEASED or REGRET your purchase

I also have an 05 that needed the valves, springs & head replaced after about 4 months. I wouldn't have put the $ into the bike if I didn't enjoy riding it so much.

If I had to do it again (or ever come up w/ some more $$$) I'd buy a 06 450x & do the same mods I did to the 250. I rode one a couple of days ago & the power is awesome. Defiantly worth the extra $500.00

Love my 04X, never a lick of trouble.

High reving 4 strokes are new to dirt bikes, all manufactures are seeing more reliability issues compared to the old aircooled thumpers. They have had decades of experence to draw on when designing the last generation of XR's.

Should Honda have sacrificed some performance for reliability? Then this thread would be about the dog of a bike they bought. Buy one with the knowledge that it is what it is. Alot closer to a race engine than a trail bike and accept the increased maintance. If you want the reliability of an XR, there are a lot of new unsold XR400's sitting in dealer showrooms.

I had an 04 bought it on mothers day and rode the heck out of it Iput 250 miles at club moto in Livermore ca and did all the jumps on it (some 70 footers those hurt at 69)then put 450 miles at clear creek inca and went every where my buddies went with their cr500s I changed oil (red line 10w40and mtl )evry three rides ,bounced her off the rev limiter all the time and had NO PROBLEMS I also installed a pro circuit haed pipe and 496 muffler ,power now thingy "r"cam twin air back fire filter and opened up the air box and did the wire thing I would still have the bike but I had to sell it because of divorce so I bought a 07 450x they are great bikes but not motoxers

Before I bought my 250x I was also on a 04 xr250. The bikes are very different and i would go with the x all the way. I've been riding it for a year and have run my first season of hare scrambles last year finishing strong each time with no DNF's. The xr would have a hard time hanging with the more high performance machines. Get the x. It is reliable, it is easy to ride long distances and most important it has the button. As you can see most riders love theirs!

04X - Typical CCC mods. Valves went around 700mi or so.

Was on the fence post on keeping it............so I rebuilt it and went the extra mile......

Found an 06 head - sent to RHC for Valves and springs.

Sent Cylinder off for the TR270 kit.

Sidewinder sprockets and Non-O-ring chain (wow:eek: what a differnce - alot snappier).

Fresh cam and chain and cam chain tensioners.

Stiffer springs and revalving on the boingers from ESP.

Got a scotts Damper (wow:eek: what a difference).

Fresh Dunni's frnt and rear.

I fell in love with it all over again - if not more so. The thing just flat out rips

and flicks around and is SWEET on single track and when all my friends on 450s and 520s are pooped, I'm ready to keep going.

Right now, I'm happy :censored:

i love my 250x. no problems yet. a little more snap off idle than i was used to but after a few rides i like it better. i like to tinker with my toys so i dont mind the extra maint.

Have an 04 250x and love it. I had a XR250 and loved it and only got my 250x because it was a deal I could not turn down. Have no regrets! I ride every weekend (even below freezing) which makes it hard to start but it is a great running fun bike. We have 04 250r, 04 250x and 06 150f and they all have been very sold as a rock.

Love my 250x! did the cc mods and this bikes rips with best of them. Maintenance can be time consuming, but anything that brings this much fun to me is worth it!

I have an 05 250x and absolutely love it. It's got snap if you want it, but you're not gonna wrap yourself around a tree on accident like a 450. I change the oil every 2-3 rides and keep it clean. It fires up every time. I've never had a single issue. Valves are fine and have not needed to be adjusted. You wont regret getting a 250x.

i own an 05' 250x and loved the bike for the first two rides.

after 3 valve jobs and a new head i'm convinced the bike was designed for

low speeds and unaggressive riders (bottom end of power band).

two other 250x's in our group also have had similar problems, they too sold their bikes.

I chose ktm's for my son and i and have not spent any other time or money on those bikes beyond normal maint.

personally i loved the state of art feel to the bike, but after a year of the bike

missing 3 out every 4 rides and $ 3,200.00 in parts and labor later i am no longer impressed.

just my experiences and two cents worth.

I do our love the 3 other honda's (air cooled four strokes).

i own an 05' 250x and loved the bike for the first two rides.

after 3 valve jobs and a new head i'm convinced the bike was designed for

low speeds and unaggressive riders (bottom end of power band).

two other 250x's in our group also have had similar problems, they too sold their bikes.

I chose ktm's for my son and i and have not spent any other time or money on those bikes beyond normal maint.

personally i loved the state of art feel to the bike, but after a year of the bike

missing 3 out every 4 rides and $ 3,200.00 in parts and labor later i am no longer impressed.

just my experiences and two cents worth.

I do our love the 3 other honda's (air cooled four strokes).

You did 3 valve jobs on 1 bike? That sounds excessive. Who was doing the valve work? Granted these bikes aren't designed to run at Baja 500 speeds continuously,but they should take a fair amount of abuse, even in the upper power band where this motor likes to perform.

I replaced my head with an 07 R head and had RHC do the valves. My old valves were still in spec when I replaced them, I just didn't want to have any problems in the woods. So far so good. I don't see this bike as having any more maintenance issues of any other high performance 4 stroke. Change the oil, keep the air filter clean, oil the chain. It hasn't left me in the woods yet, and I've given it a fair amount of abuse. The unicam engine is simple to work on and keeps the moving parts to a minimum.

The only issue I have with the bike is on long, loose hills where it runs out of steam.

Hands down the most reliable bike I've ever owned. I've always had full on race bike so I don't know exactly how it would stack up against the reliability legends such as the XR-250/400, and others.

But I'm going to have to guess that only having to replace ( besides chains & sprockets kinda stuff ) clutch plates and a clutch cable in two years and twelve or so enduro races ain't bad :censored:

I'm very pleased with my 250X, it has done over 150 hrs. with only needing piston, rings, exhaust valves, rear tire, and a new front sprocket. It may require more maintianence, but it is worth it. But I would of liked the R a bit more for the suspention and it's light weight. The E-start on the X is not nessesary.

The E-start on the X is not nessesary.

When you're an old man, it bloody well is!. My son says he's pleased with his, but yet to give it a good ride - will report sometime in March.

I sold my free-moded 04 250x at about 70 hrs. It ran fine...but I ride alone far from home and when the valves go - they go quick. My brother-in-law has had two stranding dnf's with two different crf250x's (valves) - both well maintained. I have 30-years riding experience and am an A-level cross country rider so don't put me in the ignorant column, please.

I went back to basics, bought a slightly used KDX220 for $2300, put USD forks on it, souped it up and now I'm riding with confidence on a faster, quicker, lighter bike again on the technical single-track I love to navigate. God, I love 2 smokes! Yes, I do change the tranny oil every 5 hours or so - and I do change the tires out regularly....hee, hee. But even changing the oil is easy with a tranny fill hole larger than the diameter of a pea. Total investment? $4K (what I sold the x for) - riding every week and just putting the bike into the garage until the next ride comes around....priceless.

Braaap, braaap, I'm so stoked about riding again after the last three 4 strokes (an 02 wr426, an 03 YZ250F, and the x) slowly drained the fun out of it, I'm thinking about getting a new KX250 and off-road modding it. I'll just use the red sticker months to heal anyway! Braaaaaap!