Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X PLEASED or REGRET your purchase

I absolutely love my CRF250X.

Bought it back in feburary of 04... one of the first batches that came off the ship and were available from LA honda.

The thing has been SUPER reliable. i change engine oil every 2 rides, tranny oil every other time i do the engine oil. About 4 months ago i went in to the top end to check the valves for the first time in 4.5 years (and i ride the bike HARD) and was pleasantly surprised to find that only the exhaust valves were a lil outta spec... like .004mm loose... intakes were right within spec. :p ... the thing does eat a lil oil but always has... what do you expect with such a short piston. and just recently i noticed if i am really hard on my clutch it slips a lil so yesterday i opened her up and found that my clutch springs have been compressed to 2mm under spec... no biggy... fiber clutch plates are well over min thickness too! and this is after 5 years of hard riding!

Mods i have done to it include.

Rejetting to get rid of lean bog

Opening the top of the air box

Changed to a 13t front sprocket

AP mod (just recently did this... OMG talk about TR)

Exhaust baffel comes out for the track... stays in for the trails.

I love my crf250x ... someitmes i wish i had a 450x... but id just hurt myself with that much power... and im faster at the track than my friend on his 450R so its all good. :ride:

This is a great thread & contains a lot of user experience, both good & bad.

Here is my experience:

93 & 98 XR250's......some enduros & many, many thousands of miles of trail riding in Colorado & Utah. Super reliable, easy to maintain, underpowered, w/ soft suspension ( did I mention front end washout!!). Heavy, w/ weight up high.( I fall a lot, so picking up the bike on hills & steep mountain trails became a real issue...my weight 160). HARD starting after a fall. Power drop-off when hot.

Then Honda designed my dream bike...the 2004 CRFX250. I bought one of the 1st from Laramie Honda. Excellent handling, light, low center of gravity, good(not great) power. I don't race it & rarely run the revs to the limit. Mileage is approx 5,000-7,000.....5 riding seasons. ReKluse Clutch installed 2 riding seasons ago.

Valves - Original, never shimmed. Just checked last week. They are EXACTLY on spec.

Fork Seals - Replaced after 4 riding seasons. Clean regularily w/ a thin plastic card on slider

Bearings - All original, wheel & linkage. Clean & grease regularily

Spokes - Frequent maintenance required

Battery & spark plug - Original

Chain/Sprockets - Original, rear Honda, front Renthal from new. Lube w/ gear oil

Oil/Filter - Change every 2-3 rides. Valvoline Dura Blend synthetic blend, 10W-30, without friction additives

Air Filter - Clean/re-oil every 2-3 rides. Oil w/ motor oil. Air filter installation is a BIG issue. It is VERY DIFFICULT to install & seat the air filter properly in the air box.

Clutch - no issues

Brake Pads - Original front/rear

Conclusion: I love this bike & would buy another one. It is more difficult to maintain than an XR, but performance is a HUGE step up.

After reading all the enties, I must be one of the lucky owners. There are definitely a lot of folks who have had a very different experience than me.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback!

Then Honda designed my dream bike...the 2004 CRFX250. I bought one of the 1st from Laramie Honda. Excellent handling, light, low center of gravity, good(not great) power. I don't race it & rarely run the revs to the limit. Mileage is approx 5,000-7,000.....5 riding seasons. ReKluse Clutch installed 2 riding seasons ago.

Valves - Original, never shimmed. Just checked last week. They are EXACTLY on spec.

Fork Seals - Replaced after 4 riding seasons. Clean regularily w/ a thin plastic card on slider

Bearings - All original, wheel & linkage. Clean & grease regularily

Spokes - Frequent maintenance required

Battery & spark plug - Original

Chain/Sprockets - Original, rear Honda, front Renthal from new. Lube w/ gear oil

Oil/Filter - Change every 2-3 rides. Valvoline Dura Blend synthetic blend, 10W-30, without friction additives

Air Filter - Clean/re-oil every 2-3 rides. Oil w/ motor oil. Air filter installation is a BIG issue. It is VERY DIFFICULT to install & seat the air filter properly in the air box.

Clutch - no issues

Brake Pads - Original front/rear

Conclusion: I love this bike & would buy another one. It is more difficult to maintain than an XR, but performance is a HUGE step up.

After reading all the enties, I must be one of the lucky owners. There are definitely a lot of folks who have had a very different experience than me.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback!

pretty much sums up my 04 crf250x experience! I love my bike never had any probs with it.

I have an 06 250x and can honestly say I love it. Been away from bikes for the last 20 years, last thing I owned was an old YZ465. Love the e-start, have done some mods and raced a couple of hare scrambles and this bike is bullet-proof so far. I crashed at least 4 times last week in a race, pushing a little too hard on dry fire roads but each time the bike fired up and other than some scratched plastic its in good shape. I would buy one again. I have set it up for a taller 6'2" rider. I do plan to go up to a 450x at some point (I'm 215 lbs. and its set up for a lighter rider stock) but will always keep this for tight trails and as an extra bike for friends and family. I do most of the mechanicals myself and have learned to run the gas out of the carb when I store it during the week(s) between riding.

I initially got really disturbed by the difficulty and frequency of the maintenence schedule but have since learned to live with it. We must move along with technology. I just spent another ridiculous amount of money on offroad goodies and suspension valving and am real excited about riding the bike again this weekend. Had Honda made some really big changes to the bike I would have considered buying another, but I have spent alot of cash getting my old X tailored to me. So no buyers remorse for me. The bike is super fun and easy to ride. E-start for midgets like me is a god send!