Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X PLEASED or REGRET your purchase

Thanks for all the responses. Most of you have been very happy but a few had problems despite careful maintenance. I will probably wait a few more months to decide hoping that the 06 CRF250 are more reliable. I don't mind doing the meticulous maintenance at all. I'm more worried about reliability. I'm a trail rider and I don't want to get stuck with a broken motorcycle 100 miles away from my truck. Thanks again everyone.

no need to worry about reliability with these great bikes!

Thanks for all the responses. Most of you have been very happy but a few had problems despite careful maintenance. I will probably wait a few more months to decide hoping that the 06 CRF250 are more reliable. I don't mind doing the meticulous maintenance at all. I'm more worried about reliability. I'm a trail rider and I don't want to get stuck with a broken motorcycle 100 miles away from my truck. Thanks again everyone.

The one thing about the CRF's is that they don't normally have catastrophic failures while out on the trail like some others. If you're checking your valves frequently there will be a warning by reduced clearances or you will notice it is harder to start. I've had to do alot of work to mine but it has never left me stranded.

I bought my '04 x in October '04.... not a single problem other than driver error. Handle bars still bend when crashed into trees.... but I suspect all models are the same in that aspect. Great bike! I like the CRF better than my son's (my ex) '03 wr250F.

Dances with trees, I couldn't disagree with you more. My 05 without so much as hint of trouble had major engine failure miles from my truck. It all started with the push of the button. Up until that time, the bike was working perfect. If you are lucky, the bike will give you a warning, but these miserable little thumpers let go way to easily. But the X being in the bottom end of perfromance in this class of bikes, should have better reliability. I was a big Honda fan, but I will never spe,nd another dime on a Honda bike. I have been spoiled through the years of better performing dirt bikes which last much much longer than this under powered 250 X. Sorry, but I would give an overall grade of D+ for this thing....

Dances with trees, I couldn't disagree with you more. My 05 without so much as hint of trouble had major engine failure miles from my truck. It all started with the push of the button. Up until that time, the bike was working perfect. If you are lucky, the bike will give you a warning, but these miserable little thumpers let go way to easily. But the X being in the bottom end of perfromance in this class of bikes, should have better reliability. I was a big Honda fan, but I will never spe,nd another dime on a Honda bike. I have been spoiled through the years of better performing dirt bikes which last much much longer than this under powered 250 X. Sorry, but I would give an overall grade of D+ for this thing....

I think I remember when yours let loose. What a bummer. Over the last 3 years though there really has been very few reports of grenaded engines like yours. You're right though in that it should be more reliable. Honda should have gone with a higher quality valve & spring or even made the X a little more XR like. They could have brought the power down in the rpm range and reduced the redline more, changed the cam profile and valve material and made a reliable trailbike that is still capable but would last. My sentiments at this time are pretty close to yours as far as reliability. For me it's been both the best bike and the worst bike I've owned.

DRH, lets talk about failures that are the bikes fault and not caused by mystery metal in the intake after you :ride: were working on the jetting.

Yes, there have been some questionable failures due to mechanic error on these bikes, I'm sure.

I have nothing to complain about on either of my 250's.

Never had a valve issue or engine related failure and the bikes are ridden hard.

I do rebuilds at around 50 hours, recut the valve seats and use new OEM intake springs and run em'.

All engine pieces were accounted for, at least thats according to the Honda boys. They said the carb was intact with all jets and washers accounted for as well. Like I said in my first post, the only possible metal that I could possibly think of was a piece of the rivot from the air box modification. But on my work bench I have what I believe is the total sum of the two rivots I removed. Plus, I stuffed the carb with a rag, and vacuumed the thing out when finished. After looking at the replaced parts, the head and the piston, I can't believe that the rivot material, if in fact that was the culprit, was hard enough to do the damage it did. I mean both the head and piston looked as though someone had taken a small ball peened hammer to both. The irony of all this, is that the valves which everyone complains about were perfect, no damge of any kind. Not even bent! go figure!!!

You know 50 hours for me would be about 4 week ends of riding. I am sorry but to me thats just plain insane. Unfortunately, red owners are happy with that number. Try breaking that down to money per mile or hour, thats expensive........It wouldn"t even be worth it, if this bike was the ultimate bike of all times, which it is not.....

12.5 hours per weekend? Yea okay. Do you use an actual hourmeter of go by how long you were away from the truck? I use an hourmeter.

Keep in mind my bike is ridden at expert level and probably could go longer.

Still regret it...the bike was nothing but problem after problem.50 hours is unacceptable for a modern 4 stroke.I can put that much time on one within a couple of months.

when I owned mine I fiqured I was going to be doing a top end 3 times a year.At $500 a pop it was to much maintenance expense not to mention the headache of taking things apart and not being able to ride. Might be a good race machine if you keep it in tip top shape....but that will cost $.In our local race series the X bikes do well but do not finish alot of races. I liked the x suspension...the motor sucked:).I bought a 300 EXC a year ago and have not been in the motor yet but if the 250x was more reliable I might still be on it.

DRH, Lets sum it up here, bike running good, decide to tweak on the jets, take it out to ride and mystery piece of metal ruins the engine, you do the math :

Its just aggravating to me to have someone who admittedly caused most if not all the damage to his bike continue to bash it on this form. :ride::ride::ride:

I cant wait till you sell your POS and buy something else and start bashing it when you screw it up also.

If some one took the time to read all or most of my posts you may think I have a personality disorder. My love affair with this little red lady has been a rocky one. Emotions have flaired.

Seriously, I have tried to rationalize the expense of this machine. In the beginning, first 6 months, I had dumped 5 grand of mostly parts and junk into trying to make it finish races and be competitive at Junior's level of ride. She won the battle. Once we got the black cloud to leave us the CRF had one more run of bad karma, when bad luck cracked a case. She got a time out for 4 months while I worked of the Visa balance. We went back to a 2 stroke KTM. Well there went another 2 G's to dial in that bike and get it set up. We rode better and started to finish. I got some time and changed the cases. It was the fall of 05 and I did a dual sport convert to it. Junior had his permit and he was able to ride it 4-5 miles out of town to the trails. He rode the pants off of it even in the snow (my avatar). Loads of hours, one new clutch and one shimming and this lady was sweet. I still did not trust her to race in 2006. We still practiced hard on it, trail road. I personally logged in 20+ hours during a trip to Florida early in 06. Well we tested it at a run for fun benefit Enduro around 80 miles and it was run at race pace. Wow it held up even with all that time on it. Well I tore it down almost a year to the date of breaking the case. It needed valves. I was prepared. 262 big bore set up 400 + an RHC stuffed head $380, my labor and gaskets. We let it rip. Well over the 1000 mile mark now including 3 enduros and some hard rides. It is now ready for another 150 into a piston, my choice of the 262 ( they like pistons or you lose the cylinder). It is dedicated now to finish our enduro season and we will try to get the next 8 events out of a new piston. Now back to our KTM 250, lets see, for 06 it got a replated cylinder, new reeds, top end and rod, clutch. ..700+ We did the 2 opening GNCC's, 6 races in our series and ate 2 rings, and clutch plates (mainly do to an overheat) Still another 200 in the kitty. The KTM is due for a mid season piston change now. One more note is that I owned a KTM 300 for 2+ years and they are the work horse of KTM like the XR of honda. But that bike was not hammered but it was enjoyed when ridden.

So in my boring recap here, any race bike when ridden hard and with some bad luck can cost you alot of maintaince. I will agree that the CRF valves are not up to the excellance of the remainder of the CRF machine. I purchased the CRF with full knowledge of some issue on the horizon. I called Forward Motion, lurked over at DRN and lurked here as a newbie for 3 weeks prior to my purchase. Even the previous owner of my bike handed me 2 pistons and a worn cylinder head full of valves from running 5 enduros at his AA level ride. He is a respected industry guy and is now testing the Cristini All wheel drive bike. Did his sale to us make him move away from honda,no, well he did test an RMZ/RM for a few weeks, and ended with an 05 CRF250 and now the Cristini project...for me this bike our 04 CRF250X modded machine is finally paying dividens as a great trail and woods machine and will be threat in the A class of the ECEA Series this last half of the season.

SO NO Regrets, just grumbling, like any other racer in this expensive hobby....

Let me just say this. Bought a new 06 CRF250 and it ran great, handled great, and won a few "c" class races. All for 2 months. The valves have completely collasped and now I have a nifty $800 repair bill. Had to replace all valves and springs with something that will last longer than 8 weeks of moderate riding. There are plenty of these for sale out there and mine is one of them. REGRET...Big time. By the way, the factory said is was MY fault. "Dirt got on them valves and ate the coatin' plumb off...."Used their air filter and cleaned it after every ride. At this point I am looking for a lawyer for a great class action suit.

Such a mixed bag with this bike. I have an 06' 250X with about 25 hours on it. I don't race. I ride New England woods. Usually 25 to 35 miles each ride. I change the oil and clean the air filter every other ride (air filter every ride if it's dusty). So far the bike has been great. I am prepared for valve issues if they come. THERE ARE NO PERFECT DIRT BIKES! Each bike has there own drawbacks. Choose the bike that will work best for you. Like people have said it's a race bike and requires maintenance. If there were a better woods bike with parts as available as the CRF's I would own one. Every time I break something or want a new mod the Honda dealer has what I need/want. 4 stroke KTM's are great but eventually there valves will go too. I have a friend with a YZ450F and his valves are out with 50 hours. For now valves will be an issue with high performance 4 stokes. It is what it is. This bike just plain rips and is a blast to ride. I can't say enough great things about this bike. If I had the problems that some have experienced I may have a different opinion but for me this is the best woods bike around. As for now No regrets.

I have the 05 X and it is for sale as I write. I will not be buying anything red in my future. This bike has left a large dent in my savings account. The bike is a great bike when it is in top working condition, and I enjoy riding it. I bought the bike based on the reputation of the XRs and that was my fault. This is by no means a gas and go bike like your XR, not even a close second, third or fourth. If you love to tinker and do maintanence then buy the bike. If you want carefree hours of enjoyable riding without any hassle look elsewhere. I know I am in the minority on this bike, but it has been the worst purchase I have ever made on a motorcycle,[/QUO

ths bike is the best bike ihave tried it rocks :ride:

You gotta be a BUSH lover. I enjoy riding the bike as much as any X owner. Lets sum this up. All I did to my bike was to follow the CCC mods. I made no attempt to extract major horspower from this thing. I had no hand in the fact that the air filter fell apart in about 2 soap washings. I never abused the bike but that didn't stop both fork seals from letting go. I wasn't abusing the bike when the sprocket cover bolt snaped off at the center case leaving a hole in the center case loosing all transmission oil. In fact, I would bet that my bike has never even come close to hitting the rev limiter. Where I ride, blazing through the trails at warp speeds just isn't possible. I also admit that I have had jus t miserable LUCK with this thing. Thats not saying that everyone will expierence what I have. But at some point, you have to cut your loses and move on. And move on I will. One last point. The CRF250X is and will be a very costly bike to run and maintain. You don't have to break down to add up the bills, just follow the scheduled maintainence. I also think all I did was answer the original question in this post ,pleased or regret?

WOW, what timing! I just came accross this web site yesterday. I am getting back into the sport now that my kids are old enough to ride (and interested enough). My last bike was a CR450. The CRF250X really tweaked my interest. Light weight, trick suspension, 4-stroke gas&go, Honda reliability-- oops! After reading all these comments, I can't help but think I need to go in a different direction. My local dealer has a 2002 XR250R for $2600.00,and it looks like new (never ridden). That's too bad. I really wanted that CRF.