Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X PLEASED or REGRET your purchase

Boy this all sounds familiar. I skipped the 250x for allot of the same reasons. The problem there is nothing else except the CRF230 which has poor suspension. What I wanted was the equivalent of the Yamaha TTR250 but a tad more power and torque. I wanted an air cooled thumper with 0 maintenance issues, lots of torque and superior suspension and about the same height as the XR bikes priced smack between the CRf230 and the 250X.

Look at my garage to see what I did so fill the gap. This may be what some want otheers won't understand it. Still it is what exactly I wanted. Just becasue it is not sold, does not mean you can not have it. It may be an option for those on the fence like I was. :ride:

(ignore the brake line routing)

...snip...

Curious - what would be your next purchase?

got a 06 250X and R. both are awesome bikes. the X is definatly less hard hitting, but still a blast to ride. the R pulls wheelies like they're nothing, and the X still throws dirt. both are awesome bikes, you really cant go wrong with a honda. :ride:

I have a 05 250x and have had zero problems. Starts right up, handles well and is a joy to ride. I am definately pleased.

What the.... How did that happen? Suck something in somehow or did somethig let go iternally?

What the.... How did that happen? Suck something in somehow or did somethig let go iternally?

Either the valve let go, or the CCT failed, allowing the valve to smack the piston. Either way I am F...........

Hit a small jump, heard lots of noise, then no workey.

Soooo, your in the no so pleased crowd?

Up until the 4th, I was in the, no problem with my valves, camp. This bike handles great and has more than enough power for me. I will try the Ron Hamp head (2006 with his valves/springs), new piston/cylinder, new crank and bearings, and see if it lasts longer. It's the best bike when it runs, which was all of last year.

Up until the 4th, I was in the, no problem with my valves, camp. This bike handles great and has more than enough power for me. I will try the Ron Hamp head (2006 with his valves/springs), new piston/cylinder, new crank and bearings, and see if it lasts longer. It's the best bike when it runs, which was all of last year.

So are you going to sit the summer heat out at home or ride one of you other bikes on the trails - CBR?

So are you going to sit the summer heat out at home or ride one of you other bikes on the trails - CBR?

Sold the CBR, I have an FZ1 now, and I just got back from the sequoias on it. After $1200 in suspension mods, it handles almost as good as the CBR, but with all day comfort. I should have the CRF back together in about a month (son rides the CRF230 with CR85 forks and the TTR is the wifes bike). The summer heat never stops me, but it is not as fun as the spring. I'm still getting over a little 20 mph get off before the motor blew up, so everything should work out time wise.

Good Question! I think I will return to the 2 stroke. I think it could be blue but I am not sure. I like the idea of a KTM 200, becuase power is similar to the 250X. I know it won't be a 4 stroke. In my opinion none of the major 4-strokes models are reliable enough for my taste. Nothing comes close to the early YZ 400s. These things though hard starting lasted as long as the XRs with twice the performance. You know what would be great ! how about a 350cc engine designed like the YZ400F motor with an e-start, stuffed into a Honda X frame. That would give us a great handling, fairly light weight, e-start, enduro type bike, with better power, all steel valves, and almost XR type maintainence. Now something like that would get me looking at a 4 stroke again.

Good Question! I think I will return to the 2 stroke. I think it could be blue but I am not sure. I like the idea of a KTM 200, becuase power is similar to the 250X. I know it won't be a 4 stroke. In my opinion none of the major 4-strokes models are reliable enough for my taste. Nothing comes close to the early YZ 400s. These things though hard starting lasted as long as the XRs with twice the performance. You know what would be great ! how about a 350cc engine designed like the YZ400F motor with an e-start, stuffed into a Honda X frame. That would give us a great handling, fairly light weight, e-start, enduro type bike, with better power, all steel valves, and almost XR type maintainence. Now something like that would get me looking at a 4 stroke again.

Sounds like lots of people would like more choices, not everyone wants a 250/450f race bike. Something with decent suspension, estart, and a strong motor - with maintenance & reliability suitable for the occasional rider. Sounds like you are going 2st, ebeck went modded crf230, and since I really wanted a factory plate a Husky is what I got....You may want to look at those if you haven't.

Who does the marketing studies for the bike manufacturers? Maybe I just answered my own question....

well I hope this gives some people some good thoughts about the CRF, I got a 2004 left over bought early spring of 2005 and since then I have put about 3600kms on it and never had to touch the engine only one valve was shimmed after intial break in, since then I had the regulars to do new chain sprockets tires etc nothing major at all in my opinion great bike but from what i heard about other people bikes I have to say honda has to step up and take responsibility for the poor valve train

May be a qualify control problem. Depends on which batch of components you got from which sub contractor I guess. Some work great some do not. In time it gets worked out. Everybody knows new car models have problems for a few years. Bikes too. In general, I would expect them to get better every year and have fewer problems.

I attribute it to a new model and manufacturing issues not something endemic to Honda. I would consider an 07 but not before personally. True of any new model from any manufacturer for any product.

i have an 04 250x and i have 2 say im alittle disapointed.

The electrics r crap! i have had nothing but problems and basicly

rewired the whole thing.

it doesnt have the punch i was after.

i would advise getting the 250r.

rewired the whole thing.

you dont want that punch you are after in the tight narly stuff the CRF 250 R is a sweet bike, but from personal exsperience sucks compared to the X in the tight stuff, though the R exceeds in what it was designed for like motocross there very deffirent bikes build for a different purpose its like comparing a monster truck to a formula one racer

rewired the whole thing.

WOW this is a first. What part of the electrics? The part that make the bike run or the street stuff the Australians get - its a street bike with a plate there isn't it?

Best bike I have ever owned. Over 2000 miles on my 06 and not a lick of trouble.

most horror stories I hear are the guys not doing the maintenance or guys who have done the "pink wire mod".

Taking the bike outside the perameters for which it was designed will cause issues.

I would buy another tomorrow if I didn't already have one.

I use to be this naive also (it won't happen to me syndrome!). I never did a pink wire mod, changed oil every 3 rides, filter every ride, and never raced. Your assumption seems logical, but very wrong in my case. I am sticking with this bike as it is perfect for me while running. If it blows again, I will look elsewhere, but I hope I found the cure in Ron's head work. By the way, I hope you never have to experience what I did. (Over 2000 miles on my 06) 70+ hours a week is a bunch.

It will not happen to me because I use the bike in the perameters for which it was designed and I routinely check my valves for proper clearance.

I am sure that I will never experience the problems that you did.

Good luck.

Famous last words. :thumbsup: