Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X PLEASED or REGRET your purchase

05 250x , 2100 miles,best trail bike I ever rode and not any more exspensive than any other bikes I pound the s...t out of every other week!

I have an 04 250X and am very happpy with it. In 2 years have not touched the valves. I change oil every 2 rides. Right now I am having the Athena Big Bore kit installed. I highly recommend the 250X.

Also have an 04 X--race senior class in eastern hare scrambles with it--has 43 races and 2 class championships on it---do I like it? You better believe it!

no regrets at all.. great bike...try to keep up :applause:

I have a 2006 CRFx and just got through with my first check up. Valves are fine. Great bike.

I sold my free-moded 04 250x at about 70 hrs. It ran fine...but I ride alone far from home and when the valves go - they go quick. My brother-in-law has had two stranding dnf's with two different crf250x's (valves) - both well maintained. I have 30-years riding experience and am an A-level cross country rider so don't put me in the ignorant column, please.

I went back to basics, bought a slightly used KDX220 for $2300, put USD forks on it, souped it up and now I'm riding with confidence on a faster, quicker, lighter bike again on the technical single-track I love to navigate. God, I love 2 smokes! Yes, I do change the tranny oil every 5 hours or so - and I do change the tires out regularly....hee, hee. But even changing the oil is easy with a tranny fill hole larger than the diameter of a pea. Total investment? $4K (what I sold the x for) - riding every week and just putting the bike into the garage until the next ride comes around....priceless.

Braaap, braaap, I'm so stoked about riding again after the last three 4 strokes (an 02 wr426, an 03 YZ250F, and the x) slowly drained the fun out of it, I'm thinking about getting a new KX250 and off-road modding it. I'll just use the red sticker months to heal anyway! Braaaaaap!

The Best little, damn near bullet proof scooter discontinued.:applause: I came really close to putting a KDX back in the stable. Simple mods: pipe/silencer and rad valve really wake up that motor.

After replacing the X's head after 1400 miles. It tarnished my view of my little X. We'll see, I have 36 hours on a 06R head and 05 R cam. The suspension is so freaking good though!!! The 270 kit helps too.

my X has probably every aftermarket thing availabel for it including the TMR307., it is a 04 and has way over 150 hours on the bike. At 100hours it got the TMR and new valves, although they were just a precaution as the old ones were still in check, just that at 100 hours it felt right. They were adjusted a few months ago at around the 150 hours mark, they were out, but then again I did not check them since they were installed. The bike is great. Would I buy one again, no, I bought a KTM 525 and the Honda is now a backup. If I went with another 250 I would go with the KTM, I rode one and it just felt lighter, I think it is just less top heavy. Also it seems more stable, but that is personal.

...I bought a KTM 525...

2007 525 exc? Your garage does not show it, but at least you took the trouble to create a garage unlike me...

Do you feel the X will hold up well enough for mostly trail riding with a little track? I do not race now, but I will be hopefully soon. When you mean don't stay on the rev limiter, how long do you mean? Like a minute or a few seconds at a time.

With stiffer suspension, does the X hold up well against other 250f's in racing?

wow bringing back a thread from the dead. If u plan on racing just save yourself the time and money and get an mx bike

I wish I woulda bought an R in the first place but R's don't come with green stickers:p

I'm gonna add an R to arsenal soon though.......

Love the X for trails but you can always turn an MX bike into a trail rider, doesn't work that well vice versa

I have an 07, I change the oil (including filter & tranny oil) every 3 rides or approximatly 100miles. Also check the air filter and change as offten as needed, needs to be tacky to the touch and not be completely covered in spots. This can vary with riding conditions etc. Im a bit obsesive and I also check the spokes and oil the chain after every ride (after its power washed if necessary)Also I stay on top of keeping the chain at the right amount of travel. Its a great bike, and I enjoy being around it no matter riding or not.

I had a 1990 XR250, thought I'd never sell it, good old reliable bike for trail riding. Bought my 06 CRF250X, was so excited about the bike that I sold the XR250 without a thought after about a month of owning the XRF250X and haven't given it another thought since. Love the E-Start, Suspension isn't quite as stout as the R (I have a CR125 that is very comparable to the suspension as setup from the factory on the CRF250R), so it's still a joy to ride in the trail yet capable at the track. Did I mention I love the E-Start?

I own an 04 and love the hell out this bike. It actually makes a hack like me look like I can ride to some degree. Awesome bike. :lol:

I just posted in the CRF250R forum asking the same question. I have a 2002 XR250 and seriously considering buying a CRF250X or CRF250R. The XR has been extremely reliable and require very little maintenance. Power and suspension are the big downside. I'm not sure whether I really want to inherit the required meticulous maintenance to keep the CRF in good condition. Anyway, are you happy with the CRF250X? For those who are not, did you sell the CRF250X and buy another motorcycle?

I hold some regret, although I have no complaints with my 250X, but I really wanted a CR125. I got suckered in at the dealer my the high-techness of it all and the e-start (which IS awesome). I do love the handling of the 'X' - it feels 30 pounds lighter than it really is. However, I expected the 250X motor to be stronger than my good old XR400, but my XR4 pulls much harder. OTOH, compared to an XR250, a 250X will feel like a rocketship.

JayC

Nevertheless, this is a race bike and it requires more maintenance than a typical trail bike.

Where I live, unfortunately, '04 and '05's (no one else has bought new X's, you'll undertand why) have really bad reputation as "money pits". Even though we have no pro racers we have a bunch of good riders and when they compete internationally get good spots, many times podiums. These racers only ride orange. They are considered as serious racers. Yamahas are known for their reliabilty. Hondas down here are considered as learners bikes. A tad better than a Yamaha 230. I'm not saying these comments are right. I actually own an '04. I'm switching to a GG 2T, no vlaves you know!:lol:

Regret. Mine is a money pit.

'04 - currently in the midst of top/bottom end rebuild or parting out what's left of the bike and buying something else.:lol:

It happens, but I will avoid this in the future if I can.

Seriously a tad better than a 230? :lol: There is no comparison between 230s & 250s.. expecially a ttr230 and a crf250x. Yes I have a 250x, but Ive ridden a friends ttr230, what a piece of junk, er ah I mean Im sure its a good bike for what its been marketed as but no comparison. Now I would like to put some time on a ktm xcfw... to see if I like the suspension but, I probably wouldnt put that much into a bike not knowing if such a critical component would work for me or not? I guess I see that as a pretty big gamble when I could have a klx or crf and pretty much know what Im going to have.