Sign in to follow this  

How to push yourself???

I ride and the track about 2-3 times a week. I go by myself because all of my friends are wusses. I always ride harder when I am with someone else, I push myself to new limits. I am noticing that I don't do that when i am by myself. I keep my pace and just pound out the laps. I know any practice is good practice, but what are you guys doing to push yourself to the next level. I am a solid C rider and want to move up to B class next season. Any tips you guys could come up with would be great. I posted in the Southeast forum to see if anyone in my area wanted to go ride, with no luck. Thanks a lot for the help.

I've noticed the same thing in myself. When I'm out riding the trails alone, I ride much more conservatively than when I am with others. Having a faster rider in front of me gives me something to focus on and removes other distractions. Have you ever thought of somehow timing yourself? Having somebody standing trackside flashing youl laptimes would be awesome. However, setting up some sort of stopwatch on your bars might be possible, if a little difficult in execution. Talk yourself through the ride. Hold the throttle open a little longer in that section in each lap and brake a little harder and later coming into that corner. I'm not sure if this stuff works, as I am at the same stage you are. However, this is something I've been thinking about and will try myself.

i had the same problem the first year i rode my dad had a utility quad{now a cr125} and wouldnt ride on the track wih me and i wasnt getting any faster so every time i feel like im runing the same pace i try to twist the wrist a little farther each lap and you get faster little by little i still ride and 85 and dont want to sound cocky or arregent but i keep up with 250fs stock of coarse but thats how i do it.

when your at the track find one of the faster kids and just pull onto the track behind them and try to stay with them even if you dont know them...

focus on certain sections, for example, when coming up on a corner tell yourself where you are going to get on the gas, get on early enough that it makes you uncomfortable at that speed.

Bring a your girlfriend or a girl that you like and want to impress it always makes you ride faster lol

Think of all the girls that are watching you. That will get you going.

That concept usually gets me into trouble because I push it too hard.

hondaboy32 is right!

That is the best way to push yourself. Just don't wreck and make yourself look stupid!

Good luck.

[Abandoned]

Racing is the best way to quickly improve speed. You'll learn to push to the point where are aren't completely comfortable, but still in control because if you crash, you're out. Race, race, race. You'll get much faster in a shorter period of time than just practicing.

Not true..... training and practicing is the best way to improve...racing is to see how much you have improved and where you stand at end of each week....Improvement is made monday-friday....Your not going to go any faster in a race then you do in practice...Faster you ride in practice and harder you train the better you will do in a race..... For a newb who doesnt train and races 5 times a year i think it would be best just going out and ridin, focusing on techniques and style, holding the throttle on more and more coming into corners.......and definatly learn how to jump/ and scrub..... i remember 3 years back before i started racing consistlently i just used to jump and race around with my buddies out in the desert....

Not true..... training and practicing is the best way to improve...racing is to see how much you have improved and where you stand at end of each week....Improvement is made monday-friday....Your not going to go any faster in a race then you do in practice...Faster you ride in practice and harder you train the better you will do in a race..... For a newb who doesnt train and races 5 times a year i think it would be best just going out and ridin, focusing on techniques and style, holding the throttle on more and more coming into corners.......and definatly learn how to jump/ and scrub..... i remember 3 years back before i started racing consistlently i just used to jump and race around with my buddies out in the desert....

I disagree. You can train and practice but never race, you'll never get up to the same speed as the rest of the guys that have been consistently racing. Why do you think it takes Pros a few races to get back up to speed after an injury. It's certainly not because they weren't training and practicing, it's because they aren't up to race pace. That's why it's called that.

yeah when you race you kind of leave "practice" mode and become a more impulsive rider that goes faster then you are used to. the adrenaline kind of makes you do things a little faster. after i race though, the speed i had carries over to practice, its very convenient :ride:

yeah when you race you kind of leave "practice" mode and become a more impulsive rider that goes faster then you are used to. the adrenaline kind of makes you do things a little faster. after i race though, the speed i had carries over to practice, its very convenient :ride:

Word!

good info!!!

best thing i found is going to motocross schools, having some one video taping you, talking to your self, and riding with faster riders.

exactly what i was trying to say...but there is no solid improvements without good hard practice and training...In racing you do step it up...