?woods Weapon?

Hey fellas Im seriously considering building a cr250 woods weapon and want to know what your recomendations are for my base platform? specifically the year, which do you think would be the best to start with? The mods are already in my head just need suggestions on the model year, thanks for your help guys :ride:

You can get the 01, but i think getting a newer model is better just because its new. If you go for porting, you can gain a lot of bottom. Gearing and protection (skid plate, hand guards, radiator braces, etc) are also on the list.

You can get the 01, but i think getting a newer model is better just because its new. If you go for porting, you can gain a lot of bottom. Gearing and protection (skid plate, hand guards, radiator braces, etc) are also on the list.

Plus it lighter and that helps in the woods. im tryn to get one. GOOD LUCK!!

2002 YZ250F For Sale. will buy or trade CR250R

so you guys are agreeing on the 01, or do you think brand new like 06, 07, money is not really an inssue..

From what i see that you are now riding, an 01 motor is the wrong choice for woods riding for YOU. Huge explosive blast off engine. Not for riding in tight knarly stuff at all. Will spit you off.

Go with an 02/03 bike. Mellow 4 stroke type power down low, wont stall, gradually builds to high topend power when you want it. Totally controllable. I admit that for fire roads or fast 3rd and 4th gear trails an 01 would be quicker, however it will also make trees jump out in front of you.

From what i see that you are now riding, an 01 motor is the wrong choice for woods riding for YOU. Huge explosive blast off engine. Not for riding in tight knarly stuff at all. Will spit you off.

Go with an 02/03 bike. Mellow 4 stroke type power down low, wont stall, gradually builds to high topend power when you want it. Totally controllable. I admit that for fire roads or fast 3rd and 4th gear trails an 01 would be quicker, however it will also make trees jump out in front of you.

Awesome thanks for the advice, any advice on the newer models? I dont read much on mx bikes cause Its not really my thing unless they offraod test them..would you still perfer an 02 03 over a new bike? the motor power delivery is my biggest concern although I know it can be altered, the suspension Im gonna revalve :ride:

the motors from 03- 06 are basically the same, not so sure about the 07 tho... i think they made a small port change in 04 but nothing you would notice... i'd say get a new 05 than revalve the suspension and have it ported to run better at lower RPMs and put in a 10 ounce flyweight and than a bunch of off road protecion goodies than you'd have a woods weapon...

Awesome thanks for the advice, any advice on the newer models? I dont read much on mx bikes cause Its not really my thing unless they offraod test them..would you still perfer an 02 03 over a new bike? the motor power delivery is my biggest concern although I know it can be altered, the suspension Im gonna revalve :ride:

02/03 were almost identical. 04 and up they have tried to go back to 01 type power. As to suspension, run 3 wt oil in forks and back off clickers about 4 clicks front and rear on compression dampening. you wont need to spend $$. Put on a Knarly pipe, brake snake, Devol rad gaurds and rad braces,and a bash plate. Very easy to ride in tight bush.

Up here in the far north our trail sections are laid out where the trees are only 28" apart, sometimes less. Makes for challenging times.

I have an 02 and ride some fairly gnarly trails wih it and the only mod ive done to it is bills pipe, renthal twinwalls, handguards and a spark arrestor. The bike is awesome and the power is very smooth and tractable and I can mx it when ever i feel like it. I really dont think id want to ride any other 250 two smoke.

MY 02 CR250R IS THE ONLY BIKE IVE EVER RIDDEN WHERE I FELT COMFORTABLE IMMEADIATELY

What the mags really neglect is the fact that the Cr is MUCH more flickable than the YZ. the motor has lots of midrange too. the power is good everywhere except for the very very bottom, where I have nerver ridden a two stroke. I think if you know how to ride a two stroke, you won't have problems with the CR250s power. True, I did just get off a 125, but it was the KTM, which we all know has major balls for a 125. Lets just say from the all the negative mag reviews, I was expecting much less from the Cr... i was blown away when I actually rode one. You will also have to be EXTREMELY fast to override the Cr's chassis. It's amazing, and IMO much better than the YZ's.