Cam comparisons

Anyone know where I can look at dyno numbers of some independent testing of everyone that supplies cams for the CRF's? I ran across this web site which tested several cams on an '05 TRX motor and I was surprised at the results:

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25647&st=0

Granted the TRX450 is not exactly comparing apples to apples to the CRF but it's close. I know the '06 TRX motor is more closely related to the CRF than the '04's and '05's. If someone knows of cam comparisons with dyno sheets I'd like to compare them, thanks!

Brian, this is my cam testing on my personal bike. This particular "couch" is a pump-gas TRX that I have been swapping cams in over the past year. RHC has seen my dyno testing, as has Dan Crower. I as much as anyone, was surprised by the results. The main conclusion I have come to is different cams respond differently to various intake/exhaust configuarions and piston compression levels. I believe if I did this same test on a 13.5 or 14.1 compression bike, the results very well could be different. However, as it is now there is no denying that the cheap drop in HC2 was the premier cam for my bike.

I am interested to know why the HC1 isn't favoured.

We have done some seat of the pants testing between the HC1 and HC2 in 06 CRF450's and found the HC1 to be nicer.

Used with an FMF had to much of a hit in the mid (more like a kick, instant wheelspin) but with a pro circuit system it was real even and strong all the way through.

Maybe a quad can deal with the higher end of the HC2 better......

Mark

I have had the Hotcams stage 1 in my bike for over 2 years. It has been fantastic! Just for comparison, I stuck my stock Honda camshaft in for one ride and the low end power is very weak compared to the Hotcams stage 1. I have even wasted money on aftermarket exhaust, which only made the bike louder.

Everyone has an opinion about what to modify, but for the price you CANNOT beat this cam.

I am interested to know why the HC1 isn't favoured.

We have done some seat of the pants testing between the HC1 and HC2 in 06 CRF450's and found the HC1 to be nicer.

Used with an FMF had to much of a hit in the mid (more like a kick, instant wheelspin) but with a pro circuit system it was real even and strong all the way through.

Maybe a quad can deal with the higher end of the HC2 better......

Mark

I have had the HC1 in my TRX, and I agree great low and mid range, but the top is very flat IMO. The HC2 has a little less low, nearly the same mid and a great top end. Couch riders typically live in the mid & top, not the low unless they are into GNCC or MX.

I have had the Hotcams stage 1 in my bike for over 2 years. It has been fantastic! Just for comparison, I stuck my stock Honda camshaft in for one ride and the low end power is very weak compared to the Hotcams stage 1. I have even wasted money on aftermarket exhaust, which only made the bike louder.

Everyone has an opinion about what to modify, but for the price you CANNOT beat this cam.

Agreed!

NO other exhaust has made such a "feelable" difference in power.

Yea ..I know Dave... I havent tried one of your set ups.....yet....

:ride: