ttr-125 too much power?

I have to say I completely agree with what everyone is saying here about the TTR125. It was also my starter bike of choice. The bike is a great confidence booster, and a good learner. Do not worry about the bike getting away from you, it's a tame machine, trust me. Don't be afriad of it! :ride: Your brother may be comparing it to a 125 two-stroke. Whole 'nother ball game.

Also, is the specific bike you're looking at a 125, or a 125L? If you're worried about size, just want to make sure you realize this bike does come in a smaller size.

Good luck!

I strongly recommend a TTR-125, any version. The engine is very "user-friendly" and predictable. My son's is a blast to ride. (him AND me.) I have taken it on the hardest trails and it just keeps going. It works well at slow speeds, and is capable of handling moderate speeds as well. If you are thinking "high-speed", you should be looking at a race bike. If this bike works out good for you and you want to move up, it will be easy to re-sell.

He learned to clutch on it, and went several weekends mostly in 1st gear. I thought he would blow up the engine, but nothing bad happened.

Since then, he's learned that shifting up and getting speed will allow him to jump higher and farther without difficulty, and that sliding around corners is fun.

As for "getting away from you". Back in the 70's, my dad had a z50 that was street legal. He used it to get to the office and back (1 mile away) instead of having a 2nd car. My older brother rode 1 time on the trails next to our house. They were all flat except for one 3 foot jump. He accidently performed a Superman freestyle trick when his feet fell off the pegs and he grabbed all the throttle at once. That performance was the talk of the neighborhood for months.

jb

isn't that what distinguishes a good, seasoned rider from a rookie with muscle and no fear?

smooth line, riding effortlessly, using momentum not power

I'm more of a cut and thrust style rider myself. Lock up the rear and slide into corners, clutch and gas out. Smooth riding is good for trail riding, and works well in flowing trails, but in some tighter stuff it's just not as quick.

Thanks for all the great information. I think I've decided to get one. The only probalem is, I waited too long for the one I was looking at - its sold! It seemed like a great deal - used 2005 ttr125L (guy traded it in on a new bigger bike) for $1600! But, its gone, and I"m not seeing ANY used ttr125s around this area, so now I'm looking at new. I found a dealer around here that has some left over 2005s. He said he'd sell me one for cost (invoice price) of around $2100 for the ttr125E or $2200 for the 125LE. Sound like a decent deal?

So now I need to decide before Saturday which model to get. I'm thinking the E, just because it is a little smaller (and I'm only 5'1") but I wanted to get all your opinions. I know the main difference is 1inch seat height, front disc brake versus drum on the E, smaller tires on the E. I can definitely flat foot on the E.

Oh, I also looked up that dirtbikeclass website. There is actually one right in the small little town that my parents live in (Where I am going to take my bike to ride) so I'm definitely going to check into it. There is a dirt bike track right up the road from my parents' house (less than 1 mile away) and I wonder if that could be where they have the class. It looks like a fun track (lots of jumps - though I'm WAY far away from being able to do any jumps!)

I'm really looking forward to riding again!! I need to get some gear, though too. When I was a kid I never thought about wearing a helmet. Boots?? It was sneakers with laces that I always worried about getting snagged on the chain! I've seen some posts on boots and such- definitely go for the women's sizes, right?

Thanks again!!

There are differences between the little and big version - front disc brake, wheel sizes, and the larger one has suspension adjustments. Not sure why you need to decide by Saturday - is that when the dealer said you have to decide by? If so I would not worry about it.

You may want to do the dirt bike class with their bikes and get a better feel of things. They may also have equipment or at least helmets.

IMHO - the LE is a MUCH better buy and from what you said fits you better, the estart is worth an inch of seat height when in a awkward position on the side of a hill after a fall. LE may sell easier when you decide to get that kdx200 that everyone likes (or any other bike). Let us know what you wind up doing. For the record my 5' daughter rips on hers and loves it.

The only probalem is, I waited too long for the one I was looking at - its sold!
Too bad you're seemingly in a hurry, and you live kinda far.... I have an '04 TTR125L I'm looking to sell.

As far as gear goes, since you're small, you might want to go for the female stuff. I'm a female and I wear all guys stuff, including boots. But I'm a foot taller than you, (5'11/6'-0) and 150/155 pounds, so... :ride: And the helmet is obviously a must... the brain bucket should be your first purchase! :ride:

Good luck! :ride:

I started on a TTR and well....it's my favorite bike to this day....one of the best trail riding bikes out there and really fun....I outgrew it and got a KX125 (much like the YZ125) but that's probally because I am only 15 and I had a growth spurt (went from 5'0 to 5'10). I will definately recommend the TTR125 to any begginer rider. I outgrew it and I still ride it almost every day! I ride it more like a play bike now but I can rip on that thing! I say go with the TTR or if you like diffirent colors maybe a KLX125 (green) or a DRZ125 (yellow).

Hope I helped a bit.

[Abandoned]

I definetly recomend a TTR125 for a begginer. It is a very very fun begginer bike/play bike. Its tame and will boost your confidence level. As you learn, it can be modded so you don't get bored with it, and still can learn. :ride:

Welcome back to riding and i wish you the best of luck!

But i have to disagree with tt125. I have a crf150 and it is the love of my life!!! I am 5'4 and ... i wont mention my wieght, but the heigth is perfect and it rides like a champ! Although its underpowered for the sand dunes (I dont like big hills anyway), overall the bike is bulletproof and theres a 175 and 250 big bore kit for it when I am ready for more power. I considered the ttr but I am very pleased with my Honda. Just my 2 cents, RIDE RED!!!

Well, I went to the dealer tonight after work and checked out both the LE and the E. I decided to go with the E, as I liked the way it felt better (slighly lighter and almost 2 inches lower). So I'm going to pick it up tomorrow! It wasn't the dealer that was giving me a deadline, I was just too excited to wait. Usually, when I decide to get something, I have to have it ASAP. So, I'm really looking forward to getting it home (or well, to my parent's home!)!

Here is another questiong for you all - I was trying on helmets at the dealer. The one that seemed to fit best was a Kid's size Medium! I was really surprised. I just wanted to check with you all to see how they're supposed to fit (make sure I am getting the right size). I tried on a kid's large at first, it seemed to fit okay, moved a slight bit near the the chin, so I decided to try the medium, just to compare. I got it on just fine. It is tight, but not uncomfortable and it doesn't move at all on my head. Is that how it is supposed to fit? (Remember I'm new to the helmet thing too!)

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

If you didnt want a new one im in KY and have mine for sell. 900 without new tires. its mint. not a scratch. only hit a trail twice. never rode hard. but its nice to have enw things, and mines the L...

the helmet shoudlnt move much. if you can get it on easy, and it doesnt feel to tight to you, its right. they shouldnt wigglea alot. just enuogh to have comfort.

have fun with the new bike!

(Remember I'm new to the helmet thing too!)

the dealer should NOT be NEW to the helmet-thing

if he does not even care to advise you abou the what and how of apparel

he does not sound like someone I would buy a bike from :ride:

if you shake your head VIGOROUSLY a new helmet should not move further then your scalp, the younger you are the more flexible is your scalp,

a new helmet will settle a little, like new shoes or jeans

:ride:

before you buy: a removable liner is a good thing for a 'dirt helmet', just think of all the sweat, dust and possibly mud that will find it's way

Update!

Okay, I bought the ttr125e from the dealer on Saturday (I almost walked out and didn't get it on account of all their "fees" - freight, setup, registration, but I got them to knock those down more than half). So I got it. We got it to my parents's house and my dad got it off the truck, started it up and took it for a little spin around the yard. Then I got on it. I love it! It has a lot of power, but isn't too fast out of first, which was what I was worried about. I rode it around the yard about three times. Got it up to third gear. Then my husband wanted to try it. He hasn't ever ridden a bike, but he has been on 4-wheelers. My helmet didn't fit him, and we didn't really think about really wearing one, since we were just putting around the yard. Well, he took it around the yard once and was fine. Then he was taking it around again, but went down the hill instead of up. He lost control (I think the speed from the hill took it out of control) and he went straight into the corner of my dad's metal shed. Just two feet away from a rather large tree. Scared the crap out of me I went running down there, he got up all dazed, we made him lay down on the ground. He was bleeding in his ear, which really worried me, but it turned out, luckily that it wasn't coming from the inside of his ear. He ended up very lucky - he has a pretty big knot and a few large scratches on the side of his head, busted his eye glasses up and the metal sliced his ear - could've been way worse. He is fine, luckily, no stitches or anything. His ear bled for a couple hours, but finally stopped. It might end up leaving a scar though. We definitely learned to ALWAYS wear your helmet, no matter what you're doing.

He pretty much took the whole corner of the shed out and knocked the whole thing off the foundation. As far as the bike goes, I haven't checked it out yet, but my dad and brother said it just has a few scratches on the plastic and may have bent my footpeg a little. It wouldn't start up right away (probably from being on its side for about 15 minutes) but after a little bit, my brother got it started and took it for a wheely, so I guess it is okay.

I plan on going down this weekend to ride it. I was really hoping that I'd get my husband into riding, so I'd have someone to ride with, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen now. I think I'm going to set up some cones and do some practicing (figure eights, turning on a hill, etc) this weekend. I've called the dirt bike school in the area, but haven't heard back from them. I guess I need to call again.

So, not such a brand new bike anymore, but atleast my husband is okay. It could've been much much worse for the bike and, more importantly, my husband.

Update!

Okay, I bought the ttr125e from the dealer on Saturday (I almost walked out and didn't get it on account of all their "fees" - freight, setup, registration, but I got them to knock those down more than half). So I got it. We got it to my parents's house and my dad got it off the truck, started it up and took it for a little spin around the yard. Then I got on it. I love it! It has a lot of power, but isn't too fast out of first, which was what I was worried about. I rode it around the yard about three times. Got it up to third gear. Then my husband wanted to try it. He hasn't ever ridden a bike, but he has been on 4-wheelers.

Congrats on your new bike! ?:ride: TTR 125 is good learning bike.

Far as your husband riding a motorcycle, I think he'll need to learn how to ride a paddle bike first, perhaps how about learn how to ride a mountain bike? And of course always safety come first. ?

Different jetting might help your bike if you find it takes a long time (4 minutes?) to warm the bike up when it is cold.

Glad to hear you hubby will recover, knowing men he might show an interest at some point. Helmets are a good thing.

No need for riding school. Dont waste your money, instead spend it on gas and just ride. You'll teach yourself in no time. Then once you know what you're doing well, you can teach your uncoordinated husband. ?

I wouldn't suggest riding school unless you plan on racing. You made choice picking the ttr 125 as a first bike. Had it been a YZ, it may have put your poor hubby in the hospital. I hope you guys have lots of fun in the trails of KY, I think I forgot how to trail ride. lol