trailwings on dirt roads

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deathwings have hurt alot of people, because they are not perdictable. It depends on your skill. If you can save the bike from washing out everytime, then you should be OK. Better tires make this bike a whole different ride. :ride:

What is going on with the Trailwing Q's? Its the damn twilight zone.....

Any ways the trailwings will do fine on any surface Brand new except mudd. On gravel roads will do ok again in new condition, as it wears your turning will start to impair.(Pretty much covered all tires?)

Here's my trailwing story.

I picked up my '06 DRZ400S and took it out to a local OHV park. I drove around for a while, trying to get a feel for the bike. Once I felt comfy, I did what every red blooded American does with their new bike - MUD PIT!

So I goosed the throttle and went splashing through the mudpit and I almost made it across.. well, no really I made it about half way before the tread on the trailwings gave out and I completely lost traction and fell over in slow motion.

That didn't hurt so bad, just my pride mostly.

So I got back on my feet, righted the bike and took off again ONLY TO FALL TWO FEET FROM WHERE I WAS.

Then I bought Dunlop D606's.. I highly suggest them. :ride:

606s are too buzzy on the street for me. Deathwings have their obvious flaws- not great on the street, horrible in the wet, horrible on dirt. Marginal on gravel.

The prettier sister to the Deathwings are the Anakees. For DOT knobs, I like the 6006, actually. They have a more tolerable pattern. I'll be happy to get back to them once I wear these 606s out.

If you're doing gravel, mud, sand... you've got to get rid of them. I replaced mine with pirelli MT21 dual sport. They work great on the highway and asphalt in general and I've done some tough gravel, rocks, mud and streams in the utah mountains and deserts. Huuuge difference and the first change I made to the bike.

i ride street and gravel. i kept my trailwings on until they wore out. after that i put some knobbies on.

i didn't realize how bad the trailwings were until i got the knobbies. i thought damn, i must be good to have been able to ride on those deathwings! :ride:

i ride street and gravel. i kept my trailwings on until they wore out. after that i put some knobbies on.

i didn't realize how bad the trailwings were until i got the knobbies. i thought damn, i must be good to have been able to ride on those deathwings! :ride:

or live through the experience. Either way deathwings are crap for street or dirt riding. Get the aftermarket tire that suits your needs. You will be 200% happier with the bike either way you go . I did about 1,000 miles on the death wings and wish I had gone to 606's way earlier. Even though you are louder than a 79 Bronco with super swampers it is well worth the investment. (I'm sure the street side of things is the same)

How are they just for dirt road riding? Some of the roads will have some rocks not big more like gravel.

My god... I just can't believe how much abuse the trailwings get. Yes, they SUCK in the MUD. Yes, they SUCK on WET GRASS. Yes, they SUCK in the SAND.

But for gods sake people, you can surely use them on a dirt road. I take my dang 550 pound street bike with street tires down a dirt road.

Are there better dirt tires, HELL YES... there are tons of better ones. I personaly use 606's. But I also put 2k miles on my trailwings without one single dump over (by me). Used with caution, a TW will go down a dirt road.

Either way deathwings are crap for street or dirt riding.

(I'm sure the street side of things is the same)

The TW are no SM tire for the street. But, if you rode 100% street and couldn't afford 17" rims, I'd highly recommend the TW's. They work darn good on the street. I pushed them way harder in the curves than I would ever consider doign on my 606's.

The TW are no SM tire for the street. But, if you rode 100% street and couldn't afford 17" rims, I'd highly recommend the TW's. They work darn good on the street. I pushed them way harder in the curves than I would ever consider doign on my 606's.

DUH.....but look what you are comparing here. No S**T you can push DW's harder on the street compared to 606's, but you know the 606's get me to work just as fast as the DW's..........but after work I can go straight to the track and kick ass. With death wings you cant do anything but go to work. Take them to a SM track after work....you are toast, take them to the local trail or play area after work.........you are toast. Its a lose lose situation. If you wanted somthing to get you to work and thats it you should have gotten a Vespa.

I have the 606 per this boards advise, a big plus , the front end is still a little squirrely off roading. Is this just a trait of this bike, am I still just getting used to the bike?--what would be a good air pressure for the front, riding off road?--cman

2006 DRZ 400s Yellow ( the slower one )

the trail wings are gunna act like a street tire on dirt roads. Because that is what they are. But dirt roads lead to off road, and then temptation gets the best of you and you end up off road. Then down you go!!

Trail wings are down right dangerous on anything less than pavement. This includes dirt roads and yards. However they do remarkably well on both wet and dry pavement.