'01 CR250 Engine in '03 Frame Installation

Photos of 01 head stays, I used a washer between the stay and head on the clutch side and between the stay and frame on the throttle side.
Did the swingarm bolt and the other two engine mount bolts line up?

Did the swingarm bolt and the other two engine mount bolts line up?

I used the swing arm bolt to align the motor and had to grind the front mount holes forward and the bottom mount holes up, everything looked about like the pictures of your install. I still wonder why I could use the 01 stays and others couldn't. Do you know how far off the 01 stays were on your install?

Thanks for the great write up on this engine swap, I would not have tried this without it.

Do you know how far off the 01 stays were on your install?
I actually got some info from a guy over at another site (at kuritaro9's recommendation) and he said that neither the '02 or the '01 stays fit. I never had any '01's to try, so I fabbed up some new ones based on the other guy's input. I might have to order up some '01's to test.

I actually got some info from a guy over at another site (at kuritaro9's recommendation) and he said that neither the '02 or the '01 stays fit. I never had any '01's to try, so I fabbed up some new ones based on the other guy's input. I might have to order up some '01's to test.

when i did my conversion, the 01 mounts didnt line up at all. i did the 02 cr125 bend, and also had a guy fab up a set from some thicker stock to play with. i dont know exactly how far off the 01's were, but maybe if i get some time this week, i will take a few measurements...

I've read through this twice and still missed it...

Did you use an '01 pipe or the '02? I know you used aftermarket, but which would I need?

Did you ever try the '99 cylinder? Is the pipe flange the same?

Did you use an '01 pipe or the '02? I know you used aftermarket, but which would I need?
I used an '01 pipe. The '02 - '04 pipes definitely will not work. I suspect an '00 pipe will work because the '00 and '01 used the same frame, but I have no idea about '99 and earlier pipes.
Did you ever try the '99 cylinder? Is the pipe flange the same?
I can verify that the '99 cylinder is a direct bolt-in replacement for the '01 cylinder.

i finally snuck enough time away to get my swap done. i still have to strap the front number plate down and bolt on the kick starter, but thats about it. im NOT crazy about the 07 graphics though...there is a lot of blank space on those shrouds, and i think i may go back to the RC graphics instead...

P1010245.jpg

P1010242.jpg

Any surprises? Pictures?

DSC02036-1.jpg

ehh not really man, everything went together pretty much im just holding off on getting parts for it. its my senior year in h.s so ive been hanging out with friends alittle more lately (ones that dont ride) along with alittle car stuff...im never gonna see these people again cause im leaving my town so i figure might as well enjoy it while i can before i move out ?

i finally snuck enough time away to get my swap done. i still have to strap the front number plate down and bolt on the kick starter, but thats about it. im NOT crazy about the 07 graphics though...there is a lot of blank space on those shrouds, and i think i may go back to the RC graphics instead...

[/img]

doood get some 04-06 graphics..they are sweeeeet

bike looks sick though:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Just got mine in the frame. '00 motor. Clearanced front & bottom holes just like Skipn8r said.

'00 head stays went right on, just needed a thin 10mm aluminum washer on one side (where it goes through the head) and two 8mm washers on the other side, between the stay and the frame. Slick as snot. You're right about getting the motor to drop in between the mounts being an "exercise in patience". Thanks for the warning!! It did go, I just had to hold my jaw just right. Didn't need to create clearance at the lower rear-most clutch cover bolt.

Will explore options on the right side radiator. I'm gonna be putting my '02 motor in the '00 chassis, so I gotta see if the '02 radiator will work on that bike. If so, I'll probably swap both radiators. Just want to make sure my guards will still work. I know Mike used the '01 radiators... What did the rest of you guys do?

Should be ready to ride tomorrow. Still a little up in the air about what to do with the motor. Will be riding it stock (with '99 cylinder) 'til I decide. Will probably go with a 265 kit. Would like to go 285, but that's a little pricey for my budget right now. Looking for more low-end grunt. Don't necessarily WANT "snap", but want almost four-stroke roll-on from down really low, a la KTM 300.

Thanks guys for all your help with this-- I'm sure this is gonna be way better than the '02 motor. Five hours from the time I started to the time I got the motor in the frame, all bolted down. Tomorrow will deal with all the little details. Also, I'm doing the "fuel in frame" mod for about an extra half-gallon capacity. Went with an IMS tank, but it's not here yet. Think I'll try heating/ narrowing it up a little at the seat junction.

The '00 had a PC "works" pipe that's been painted and is a little rusty, so gotta strip/ clean that up. Any suggestions?

Will have pics for ya' tomorrow afternoon. Yeeehaaaa!!

Update--

I used the '00 radiators. I had to create a little more clearance where the right side cross-over radiator hose comes in contact with the frame. Had to be careful with the orientation of the hose clamps to avoid contact with the frame and/ or motor.

Mounting the pipe was simple. The mid-mount (the one by the lower subframe bolt) lined up fine. For the front mount, I used the factory rubber- isolated mount off the '00- just had to drill a new 6mm hole a little closer to the rubber & use a nut on the back side.

Silencer off '02 worked fine. Just had to drill a new hole slightly above and forward of the existing rear-most mount hole (front silencer mount lined up with original mount hole). This was with a ProCircuit factory pipe off an '00 (same as '01); as it is made to terminate in the stock position, I assume it would work with any pipe made to fit an '00 or '01.

I didn't have to use the '00 airboot. My original '02 lined up just fine. I installed the subframe without the shock in, then fished the shock in through the right side. I had the lower linkage removed, so this was pretty easy. It was so close I think I could've done it with the shock on, but I already had the linkage out, cleaning & re-greasing the bearings, so this was a no-brainer. If it turns out aligning is a pain, I'll just get in the habit of removing the front lower linkage bolt and swinging it down out of the way, then installing the shock. No biggie.

All-in-all, a simple, pretty straightforward procedure. Can't wait to ride it! Thanks for all your input, guys. I wouldn't have done this without all the help. Now, making the '02 motor fit in the '00 frame... that's gonna be a little tougher, I'm afraid...

I didn't have to use the '00 airboot. My original '02 lined up just fine. I installed the subframe without the shock in, then fished the shock in through the right side. I had the lower linkage removed, so this was pretty easy. It was so close I think I could've done it with the shock on, but I already had the linkage out, cleaning & re-greasing the bearings, so this was a no-brainer. If it turns out aligning is a pain, I'll just get in the habit of removing the front lower linkage bolt and swinging it down out of the way, then installing the shock.
Yeah, I actually ran the '03 air boot for a few months before switching over to the '01 version. I could make it fit, but by the time I got the subframe in place, the air boot was under a lot of stress. Now that I've got the '01 adapted to the '03 air filter box, everything fits together like a factory setup. Good to hear the '02 boot works better ?.

Hey......I was thinking of doing this swap. Just got an 03 and need a winter project. I have access to a 99 motor. How does the 99 motor compare with the 01? Is it worth messing with unless I get an 01 motor?
The '99 and '01 motors differ primarily in porting and a few powervalve components. If you can get the '99 motor cheap, a good tuner can easily port the cylinder to perform as well as an '01.