Sign in to follow this  

no more 2 strokes

I saw something on TV promoting Evinrude E-TEC 2 stroke outboard motors. In an emissions test, Evinrude's 2 stroke beat a Yamaha 4-stroke. This could be misleading as they tested it at idle, but I still think it would do better than a 4-stroke in emissions at full throttle. I don't know if the technology is patented, but if it was affordable, I don't see why bike companies couldn't pick it up as they move into a fuel-injected era.

http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wayne.pl?noframes;read=26492

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/E-Tec/Technology/

Personally I believe a 2-stroke or 4-stroke are just as good as each other. It all depends on the application or the rider. A friend of mine cannot ride a 4-stroke as fast through the woods as a 2-stroke. On a track he is king with a 4-stroke, but not a 2. Please don't tell me he sucks or can't ride. He's been doing it since he was five, so a bike is an extension of his body. Like people have said before, it all depends on the application of the bike, and the rider, not the bike itself.

I think they might make the CR500 again one day, that's just what I think but I don't think anybody's man enough to ride the, "Death Machines". As for the quads, I don't like quads much, but I like 4 stroke quads better anyways, the 2 smoke quads just seem gay, except for the Banshees (I don't mean that in a hostile way for you quader's).

[Abandoned]

You must have forgot the mighty trx250r that honda used to make...i'll tell you what that quad was sweet

FMX riders ride 2-Strokes because their easier to handle in the air, no engine breaking, etc...(from what I heard). I hate how everyone is bashing on 2-Strokes when just a few years ago half of them rode them...

Who care's what you ride, as long as you ride. It would be cool to see more 2-Stroke quads, like Suzuki used to make in the 80's (Quad Racer's). Whoever said that comment about "Hopefully they will stop making 4-Stroke quads too," is a complete jackass. I hate how everyone is bashing on quad riders...I personally like to ride a quad around to have some fun once and awhile, just because you can relax more on them, and just easier to handle when you're just wanting to kick around some dirt in the yard or something...

Even trail riders, people talk about all the quad riders wearing tight jeans, t-shirt with a pack of smokes in the pocket...hmm. I do see that ONCE AND AWHILE, but you also see dirtbikers doing the same thing, just because most of them don't ride trails, or tracks, just buy it to have fun, and are goons, they don't really care about their stuff that good. When I see quad riders at the track I see them wear all their riding equipment, and also on the trails.

Geez.

All the pro MX'ers may ride 4 strokes, but at all the local tracks around me theres still alotttttta 2 strokes and out of most of those 2 strokes some 4 strokes on the mx tracks.....but maybe its just happening around me... :thumbsup:

All the pro MX'ers may ride 4 strokes, but at all the local tracks around me theres still alotttttta 2 strokes and out of most of those 2 strokes some 4 strokes on the mx tracks.....but maybe its just happening around me... :thumbsup:

It's because everyone can't afford the newest, hottest bike on the market. Same thing here.

There is a global push to get rid of 2-strokes.

Your weed-eater who cares?

Your dirt bike, people other than CARB in CA couldn't care less.

Potentially BILLIONS of new small mopeds and small motorcycles in Asia, now people are freaking! :thumbsup:

The push to switch over to 4-strokes is mainly about getting rid of 2-strokes globally. Billions of people riding small motorcycles to work while puking out clouds of smoke is the real issue. There is a fear choking clouds of smoke from China, India, and Souteast Asia. It's one big planet.

There is a global push to get rid of 2-strokes.

Your weed-eater who cares?

Your dirt bike, people other than CARB in CA couldn't care less.

Potentially BILLIONS of new small mopeds and small motorcycles in Asia, now people are freaking! :ride:

The push to switch over to 4-strokes is mainly about getting rid of 2-strokes globally. Billions of people riding small motorcycles to work while puking out clouds of smoke is the real issue. There is a fear choking clouds of smoke from China, India, and Souteast Asia. It's one big planet.

Let's not forget California's smog too...even though I'm headed out that way next year :thumbsup: . You're right though, it's all an environmental issue.

i mean 2 strokes still kick some four stroke arse...i mean ive been know to whoop a few..i know its mostly rider...but still

i mean 2 strokes still kick some four stroke arse...i mean ive been know to whoop a few..i know its mostly rider...but still

It's like 75% rider IMO. Unless you have a 450 vs a 50 or something, I mean, realistically it's all the rider and skill ability.

[sarcasm]

Wow, I noticed that too, that more are switching to two strokes...I mean, look at the AMA Nationals, wow, there has beena sudden increase in 2-stroke pros all of a sudden:busted:

[/sarcasm]

That's because they are pros and can use the bike to its full potential. Take me to a local track and show me one guy (besides a local pro) that is using his 4 stroke to its fullest...exaclty you can't. Everyone sees the pros on big thumpers and then go out and buy them, I know there are some that have always ridden them and always will but most people that rode 2 strokes a couple of years ago are on 4 strokes now. I'm switching to a 2 stroke 250 as soon as I can.

I think I'll stick to a 2 stroke and get a 07 YZ125 instead of a 07 KX250f. I mean I am pretty good on my 1994 KX125, just think how'll I'll be on a 07' YZ125. Do the new YZ125's have aluminum frames?

I think I'll stick to a 2 stroke and get a 07 YZ125 instead of a 07 KX250f. I mean I am pretty good on my 1994 KX125, just think how'll I'll be on a 07' YZ125. Do the new YZ125's have aluminum frames?

yes, yes i beleive they do :thumbsup:

Lets get back on track with the original question. Yes newly manufactured two strokes used for trail machines are being phased out. Can you get around that? for now you can, buy a new 300 exc w which comes without a light and install one. Why do you think the trail KDX200 & 220's are no longer being produced after 2006? The way I read the regulations is that basically any bike produced after 2006 has to meet certain emission rules unless its a competition bike.

I also interpret the regulation to say that any bike produced before 2006 would be grandfather in, no problems riding it on the trails. So I'm hoping my 2004 KDX220 wont have any future problems riding on the trails. Can the government change things? your damn right they can but I seriously don't think they would. Look at the 3 wheeler which was forced to stop production for safety reasons long ago. People are still keeping some alive and riding around legally. I guess the thought would be that within 10 years or so most of these bikes will be dead. Link to Q&A regarding new emssion standards and two strokes

Hopefully they will stop making 4 stroke quads too.

better yet, hopefully they will stop making people that ride quads. I see you guys. hat sideways, alpinestar sticker on your back window, maybe some sort of stunner street bike club, spike earings. I can spot you guys a mile away

That's because they are pros and can use the bike to its full potential. Take me to a local track and show me one guy (besides a local pro) that is using his 4 stroke to its fullest...exaclty you can't. Everyone sees the pros on big thumpers and then go out and buy them, I know there are some that have always ridden them and always will but most people that rode 2 strokes a couple of years ago are on 4 strokes now. I'm switching to a 2 stroke 250 as soon as I can.

Speaking for us old "seasoned" guys, we all tried 4 strokes a couple of years ago and many of us are now back to 2-strokes!!!!!!!!! And by the way, we are kickin' some serious arse on the enduro and hare scramble circuits.

And, IMO, it takes more skill to ride a 2-stroke to it's potential than a 4 stroke. I rode the 4-strokes to thier fullest potential and always had to carry a rope for when I needed a tow back to the trailhead when the valves took a dump.