Sign in to follow this  

Why Don't More People Ride Enduro's???

I can say that after racing MX, Harescrambles, and Enduros that Harescrambles are by far the most difficult. I've raced at numerous MX tracks (including Washougal and many that are no longer around) and I have never felt as thrashed from any race as I did this year at both the MonkeyButt and FunkyChicken Harescrambles. My body was screaming for forgiveness about halfway thru both races. I can't count the number of times i wondered if i would even finish! Thats a feeling that i've never had from any MX race...ever.

Each type of racing presents its own challenges, and guys who are very skilled at one type will of course want to preach that style of racing is the best. Just try to keep an open mind to each racing style and try each one if given the chance...you never know, you may decide that you like it better! :thumbsup:

don't know. i have only ridden one (just a few weeks ago) and i loved it. they probably don't want to ride 60 - 70 miles in one ride. honestly, i would like for enduros to be longer and more technical than the one that i rode in (the two day ISDE qualifier in tennessee).

I'm surprised I didn't generate a response on the first page. Was I full of baloney? Seems to be a topic not to discuss?

Team Claw, forgot about your earlier post. I don't think that the problem is strictly with enduros, although I think the limited series and the set-up kind of lend themselves to the situation.

1) The short series (OMRA/NMA) don't bring light to the problem and auto class transfers don't happen like they should as most aren't wearing their normal series numbers, etc. (wear row numbers)

2) Enduros are a different animal than GP/CC and timekeeping element. You could be an expert, but never have ridden and enduro before with timekeeping duty. The riding skills are above normal so maintaining averages is much easier, but the time keeping skills are below average.

That is actually one of my points in the way we do things. Sporatic events do not build skills or familiarity and allow this stuff to occur, without ever building the mental/cerebral aspect for enduro riders to shine because of the infrequency. Riding skills yes, no question...automatic enduro clock (time/distance/pace) in the head...no.

On the serious side, I dabbled in it for the first time a couple years ago and ended up doing 3 or 4. I probably rate an "upper-intermediate C class rider" Surprisingly, I found sandbagging going on in alot of the lower classes. I would watch or follow these guys and they clearly were a step above, yet were entered in entry level classes......even heard joking about it from time to time in the staging area.

This kind of turned me off. I love the challenge and tests and the whole concept of enduros but when there are hot shoes entered in every class, what's there to get excited about?

It could be said "maybe you just suck as a rider and the others just happen to be better riders trying enduro themselves as entry-level riders?" Always a possibility but I don't think I suck either. I'm no Juha, mind you, but I can get down the trail at a decent pace and the guys blowing through my class in all the events I did clearly had their game on.

Don't mistake this for whining. If I get my ass whipped......so be it. It's just my perception that there are some riders who target the entry-level classes so they can get the man juices flowing and as one who follows the rules and likes honest competition, sandbagging is a turn-off!

I'd like to start doing them again though. Maybe the classes are monitored a little better now.

Getting back to your original statement from page 1.....

Is your only gripe about riding enduros is the "sandbagging?" Until you reach the A or AA class, there will be "sandbagging" in every class with a B or C attached to it. Riders are at different stages throughout the year. All riders declare a class (or are placed into a class) at the beginning of the season. Some riders progress more quickly than others and by the time June/July rolls around, their skills have improved and are doing well in their class. Riders are typically bumped out at the end of the season.

There is a rule in the NMA rule book that in a nutshell states riders having never competed for a series award may enter the C class. So riders who haven't completed a competition series may sandbag in the C class until they are bumped out. Often peer pressure gets riders to move themselves out of the lower ranks and into where they belong. If it is really bad then the NMA comp committee gets involved.

Something else to consider, enduros are generally tough events for some riders. Riders who trail ride, do hare scrambles or even MX sometimes have a difficult time riding in tight trails, with ankle biters, logs, ruts, cliffs, hills, etc. It is a different kind of riding, requiring different skills. For instance, I used to feel really comfortable racing in the desert. I could haul pretty good, get me in the tight trails and I was riding like an old granny. Since riding enduros the past 8 years or so, I ride really good in the tight twisties, but have slowed considerably in the desert. Different skills.

Understand there are lots of racers who have started off in the C class. These racers have had difficult times, houring out of events, being stuck in mudholes, and wanting to give it up. These racers can remember events where they may have zeroed only 1 or 2 checks in an entire event. Now, some of these riders are riding AA.

Your improvements can come from a number of things. First, never miss a beginner event. Even after teaching a couple of beginner's classes, I still pick up new things here and there, so when they come around, go to them. Second, practice... Ride, ride, ride. Ride the tight single track trails. Don't opt for the diamond quad trails, seek out the narrow stuff and ride it often. Ride with riders who are a little faster than you. Watch their technique, try to keep up. It is far easier to follow a faster rider through the woods than just riding on your own. Lastly, try riding with one eye on the trail and one eye on your odo/roll chart/clock. Yes, I know that is impossible, but I have learned to calculate possibles in my head for most speed averages and can then just glance at my odometer to know where I need to check my time. Instead of having to stop or slow down to look at the roll chart, look at the odometer and then look at the clock. I keep my speed up by just glancing. When I'm a tenth away from the possible, then I look at my clock. I have zeroed checks by mere seconds that I would have otherwise lost a point if I had slowed or stopped to look at all of my equipment.

Good luck.

I don't know who is funnier....

The off-road guys that think MX is nothing but a perfectly groomed, loamy merry-go-round......

or

The motocrossers who think off-road racing is an all-day putt-putt trail ride......

They're both tough in their own rights.

So very true...

HAHA I just remembered that me and a friend got into this argument once. I said "woods riding is like riding a quad, every one can do it."

So what class do you race?

So what class do you race?

Should be in 250 JR but I broke my back in September of 2005. And I only raced once since then in the 250 beginner class and got 1st. But when I do ride I go to practice tracks. But I start work Sunday night and wont be able to ride for about a month, month and a half.

Should be in 250 JR but I broke my back in September of 2005. And I only raced once since then in the 250 beginner class and got 1st. But when I do ride I go to practice tracks. But I start work Sunday night and wont be able to ride for about a month, month and a half.

Ouch... Heal up and have fun, thats what is all about. I have raced desert, enduro, mx and GP's, they're all fun. If you like moto, give GP's a try when you heal up. Lots of moto with some offroad thrown in, great events. :thumbsup:

I think I figured it out!This is the example of a extreme special test at the WEC round in Canada. Its not a time keeping event but a ISDE style event.The terrain can look like something for a four wheel drive not something with 2 wheels. This may be the reason more people don't ride Enduros!.Cause it takes special ability, stamina, and you must like punishment! You must be willing to sacrifice body and bike. Whether Timekeeper or ISDE format, Enduros are tough and people Know it! Hence the word Enduro, derived from endurance or to endure. :thumbsup:

Enjoy the link to OFF ROAD CHAMPIONS.

http://media.putfile.com/Dylan-Debel-Extreme-Test

I wasn't going to reply on this thread, but Yamahacrazy forced me. I have only rode a couple scrambles and never an enduro, so I don't speak with much experience. If we are only talking skill levels what type of rider has been winning Erzberg...........................David Knight a woods enduro guy :thumbsup:. How do the ex-motocrossers do at Erzberg? :ride:

Yamahacrazy 310, come out to do GP's at Eddieville or Starvation Ridge. Next one coming up September 10. Eddieville is generally 9-13 miles long and Starvation Ridge is generally 11-14 miles long. Class determines numbers of laps. Eddieville is the more MX biased, but they are both just awesome.

Check out the club, the tracks, etc at Here - OTBG - Here

Goldendale, if I make a trip over the pass I'm going to airway heights. One of my favorite tracks. And I couldn't do it on the 10th cause its a Sunday and my work week starts on Sunday at 10 pm. So I can only ride Friday and Saturday.

They do have an open play day on the 9th. You can ride the MX only track at Eddieville or the GP course on play days. Good combo for you as you can practice MX and run the GP course later in the day to give it a try and see if you like it. It is worth the drive IMHO.

How come you guys don't race motocross. Is it cause you cant?

I got back into dirt bikes when my son was old enough. We went to watch a local mx race. A kid went down of a large double and as he was picking up the bike, another landed square on his back. He was airlifted out an I never heard if he survived.

The next week a kid got killed at the county fair mx. If mx was still as concieved, I would shurly be partaking in the sport. Now it's all about doubles and triples moreso that pure racing. Now we both compete in HS and sure, the mx riders kick our asses in the mx sections, but we make up for it in the woods and grass and both of us finish in the top 3 every time. IMO, it takes more skill and physical endurance to compete in HS and enduro than MX. The best part is that we are in control and don't need to worry so much about out of control riders taking us out. If we crash into a tree, it's our fault.

Now s far as the original post, my intention was to start with Enduro racing. I got talked into HS, placed 3rd the first race and was hooked. This year, I plan to compete an all HS races and advance from C to B class. Next year, I will also be racing all the Enduros and am sue I will find it as exillerating and competive.

I got back into dirt bikes when my son was old enough. We went to watch a local mx race. A kid went down of a large double and as he was picking up the bike, another landed square on his back. He was airlifted out an I never heard if he survived.

Was it some crap track that didnt have any flagers?

This thread is SO funny! The one about I work on Sunday (race day) is really rich!!

I too am especially fast when there is no race going on in fact I'm the world champ of Tues morning MX unless someone else shows up ha ha ha!!!!

This thread is SO funny! The one about I work on Sunday (race day) is really rich!!

I too am especially fast when there is no race going on in fact I'm the world champ of Tues morning MX unless someone else shows up ha ha ha!!!!

Dude have you ever worked a third shift? Your week starts Sunday at 10 PM and your week ends Friday at 6 AM. Plus I go to school full time. So I go to work at 10 PM get off at 6 AM go to school from 7 AM to 3 PM go home and sleep for 5 hours then go back to work. Lets see you try and ride. My schedule is only like that for four more weeks till I'm out on summer vacation then I start school part time.

That means that we will see you in packwood for the goldenspike HS which is on a SAT. I will look for your results in the AA class. You should be at the top the way you are talking.