Sign in to follow this  

need help- preventing bottoming jumps

when my bike takes a big hit landing a jump it blows through the stroke on the rear shock and bottoms harsh. My clickers are all th way in? Are there any fixes besides buying new springs? :ride::thumbsup:

Try raising the oil height in the forks by about 10cc in each leg.

the forks don't bottom. The rear shock just blows right through the stroke, almost like there's no hi-speed compression. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I guess I failed to read your post thoroughly.

So you aren't pogoing, just blowing through the stroke on big hits?

How much do you weigh?

Is there any sign of leaking oil on the bottoming cushion?

Maybe check your nitrogen charge too.

when my bike takes a big hit landing a jump it blows through the stroke on the rear shock and bottoms harsh. My clickers are all th way in? Are there any fixes besides buying new springs? :ride::thumbsup:

The bottom line is that most likely your shock needs to be serviced or has some internal issues. And if the nitrogen was lost, it's not just a matter of refilling it since you need to find out why you lost it.

Get this taken care because a shock that is losing its damping can throw you at the worst possible moment.

I weigh 140lbs on a 270lb bike. Sometimes I pogo when I land after blowing through the stroke. I know the bike is heavy, but come on. I landed a 20 foot double today perfectly and bottomed it bad. There is no sign of leakage. Where can I get nitrogen? Just the local bike shop? If I add more nitrgoen will it be stiffer? This is my st bike with a nitrogen piggyback canister thingy!

What bike is it? They've never made any 270lb MXer's that I'm aware of? If it's a DRZ the shock valving is too soft for serious jumping...

Are the springs correct for your weight? That would be the first thing to check. Then I would move on to the other things such as oil weight,and valving. Also, the local shop should be able to fill the bladder with nitrogen. You have to have nitrogen in your shock bladder no matter what so don't worry if that will make it too stiff. That would'nt be the problem.

At 140 you're definitely not too heavy for the stock spring (if it is, in fact, the stock spring).

I think this sums it up

The bottom line is that most likely your shock needs to be serviced or has some internal issues. And if the nitrogen was lost, it's not just a matter of refilling it since you need to find out why you lost it.

Thank you all for the responses. :thumbsup:

So I should remove my shock and take it into the dealer and they could take care of it? When I say shock I mean just this.series_8900_motorcycle2.jpg Not the linkage, or swingarm, right? This is not my shock but gives the idea of what I mean.

Yes, this is DRZ400 E(dirt only) model.

Here is a link to the spec sheet of the 400 E model.

yeah, that is all you need to bring to your local shop. While you are at it, it might be in your best interest to clean and re-grease all of your shock, swing arm, and linkage bearings, as if these are not properly working, neither will your shock.