Wisconsin Dual Sport Laws

I've looked all over and can't seem to find any laws in Wisconsin regarding street legal Dual Sports.

I'm looking at buying my frist dual sport...(used, cuz I'm broke) and want to be sure that what I find will even be allowed on the road.

is it safe to assume that if it comes from the dealer as a "street legal" bike, (such as klr650, klx250, DRZ400s, XR650L, etc) that it will be allowed on Wisconsin streets??

I'm mainly looking for this bike to be a commuter bike, so 95% street riding, but we have property in Da Nort' Woods and it'd be nice to go off-road every now an then.

Plus, I think it will be easier to convince my wife that I'd be okay on one of these "smaller" bikes than some crotch-rocket, street only bike, etc.

Any information anyone has would be great. and if anyone can suggest a used dealer...that'd be great too. I don't care if its a 70's era honda, etc just want a bike. (would love a klr650, klx250, or one of the DRZ's but I'll bet they'll be way outta my price range).

Anyway, I've rambled long enough...anyone out there with info?

Unfortunately...that's about $1000 more than I can afford at the moment. That's why I'm focusing on finding an older one, or maybe one that needs some TLC, though I'm not very handy...

Just curious, where is this bike located?

Brodhead, 25 miles straight south of Madison.

Make sure it can be titled. From my experience, if it's already titled through a private seller, or if the dealer sends off for the title, you're good. Horn, headlight, running lights/brake lights, pipe within the decible range and with a spark arrestor, mirrors, speedo. I might be forgetting something?...

Hi Wisconsin is a good state to have a dual sport in. Currently you can go anywhere a vehicle with plates can go. This includes thousands of miles of cool back roads, fire trails, forest roads, lots of combination ATV street vehicle roads and lanes, lots of snowmobile trails etc.etc. Also you can use all or most ATV trails many of which ban "off road motorcycles." since you have plates you are in a whole new class.

My wife and I trailer our dual sports a DRZ 400 and a Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250. To any campground having interesting roads nearby. We then take off exploring. with a cheap GPS and topo software we always find or drive by something for off road use.and always legal. There are some places where local governments make property owners allow access to DOT approved vehicles as right of ways.They then incorporate the right of way into the road network. Most days we rarely see cars on the roads we travel.

State roads and trails are fair game most have numbering systems and sign types that clue you in on what is legal. National areas like Ottawa national forest, 4 hours north of us, provide millions of legal acres with a lifetime of legal roads and trails. I remember that 90% of what we saw were legal,and 10% with clear posted signs that prohibited all motor vehicle. There were dozens of roads ( two lane paths ) that banned ATVs all wide open to us, roads where you had to drive in the middle to avoid the pine branches. Another biggie is abandoned railroad grade, you can buzz into town for lunch and then go for miles on easy hard packed trail

Concerning a Motorcycle, Check at your DMV for the motorcycle rider handbook. They have clear examples of street legal machines. Also consider a Basic Rider Course. Hard to schedule but well worth the time. Both will be very specific on the legality of on road driving.

I can tell you that my DRZ is not a expressway bike there is not much fun about riding at 65 for a repetitive drive listening to drive train noises. But on back roads my DRZ is pure fun it pulls like a tractor on steroids. My wifes Super Sherpa is calm, and surprisingly comfortable. The Kawasaki Sherpa is very user friendly, quiet,agile, slightly underpowered and fairly fuel efficient, I have taught at least 5 people to ride on this bike. I would recommend both and think you can find a deal on either if you are patient. I have seen nice Super Sherpas go for 1500 My wife paid 3200 new in 02. I have seen some nice older DR 350's for about the same.Don't know about a used DRZ 400. they beg to be driven hard and put away wet.So you can bet they were cranking. I would find a private owner or scan for dealer trade ins. I stay away from most dealers since they do not have the same passion that I have for the machines. I end up knowing more about the machine than most there.

Anyway good luck on your search. I know you will have a blast. Keith