Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of moving to CO

Their are some quiet areas of Evergreen. But for the most part it is a tourist trap filled with cars and people. Especially on the weekend.

No.

Evergreen is a really nice small mountain town. Go here: www.recolorado.com and search for homes in zip code 80439.

If you enjoy the outdoors - hiking, mountain biking, skiing, golf, fly fishing, hunting, dirtbikes/4 wheelers, etc. - it is a great place to be. If you have a wife that has to be near the mall and the fancy restaurants, she won't like it that much - Denver is only 30 minutes down the hill though.

Since you've lived in Vail, just imagine Vail but less expensive (definitely not cheap though), closer to Denver, and better weather year-round.

To your orginal question, or one part of it. There is a great MX track just South of Fort C on I25 called Berthoud. (But it has 12 feet of snow on it 11.5 months out of the year). There are some other good tracks with in 2 hours of Fort C, one is Lakewood that they are holding a National at this weekend. (this one is covered in snow 13 months of the year, don't know why anyone would want to move to Colorado).

:thumbsup:

How are the snow amounts, b/c i ride trck year round here and i don't want to give that up. But i also hate the long drive to get to the tracks here. I also work outside alot with construction so that might hinder my income.

Thanks for all the info, evergreen sounds awesome. I rode a harley there and loved it.

-astro-

Like Kyleyz said the snow amounts = lame. He hit it on the head, he's a smart guy.

About Evergreen, it is a nice place but I have to agree with those who say its a over crowded tourist trap. They are comparing it to what it used to be like. I lived there 13 years ago and it has totally changed, it used to be a small town that still felt like it was not near Denver, now it is much more crowded, busy, and city-like. But it is very nice compared to living in the middle of Denver.

thanks for the help!!! If you make it out to so-cal e-mail me, Ill show you some cool tracks plus beaumont...

-astro-

OK here the real deal, Como Colorado, all these guy ride out there every weekend, nobody talks about it because its so great and secret, Don't flame me guys :ride: I just can't keep my mouth shut sometimes :thumbsup:

I didn't think this thread would get so many responses. I really appreciate all the feedback.

I'm trying to read between the lines a little bit. I'm assuming that heavy traffic is only an issue going in and out of Denver during the week and to and from resort areas on weekends. It also seems like those replying that traffic is bad are comparing to CO several years ago. Currently, it takes me half an hour for a 15 mile commute - not terribly bad. As long as I wouldn't be worse off in CO, I'm fine. I plan on working in the Fort Collins/Boulder area - not in Denver. I have been looking at jobs and I think this plan is doable.

With respect to recreation, it sounds like CO is a great choice. From Fort Collins, how far would I have to drive to the nearest riding area? We also like to go boating/PWC. Are there many options for that? I know mtn biking and hiking are great so I won't even ask about that.

Thanks again for all the comments! :thumbsup:

I'm trying to read between the lines a little bit. I'm assuming that heavy traffic is only an issue going in and out of Denver during the week and to and from resort areas on weekends. It also seems like those replying that traffic is bad are comparing to CO several years ago. Currently, it takes me half an hour for a 15 mile commute - not terribly bad. As long as I wouldn't be worse off in CO, I'm fine. I plan on working in the Fort Collins/Boulder area - not in Denver. I have been looking at jobs and I think this plan is doable.

The traffic is really bad down in this part of the state (Durango) as well. Last week, I had to wait for a stop light behind 3 other cars! The horror, the horror...

I go down to Denver maybe once a year, getting to Denver on Friday afternoon and leaving Denver on Sunday afternoon. I don't know what those others are talking about since the traffic isn't so bad in those directions?

Consider everything before you uproot your family, leave friends and contacts etc. The Colorado that used to be a great way of life has vanished. So you will be trading a crowded city with lots of problems for another crowded city with lots of problems, and no contacts, friends or family to help. Sure you will make new ones, but what are your old ones worth. I travel for a living, all over the world. I will be in Hong Kong tomorrow. If you really consider everything, maybe your current friends are more important than chasing a dream that doesn't exist anymore.

:thumbsup:

don't lie to the poor guy, if you like snowmobiling and eating popscilces, CO is the place for you.

Ever see the movie FARGO?

That is like Summer time here.

Oh my GOD, and I forgot to mention the Hippies, they are everywhere.

Corrupting society, free love, drugs, etc....

Pretty brutal for them though,since they eschew animal fur and tend to freeze easily due to their vegan diet, (not their pets though, they can eat meat, that is all cool, their hypocrisy only extends so far)

So, anyway, if you move here, count on about 15% of you post tax incomce going to begging hippies trying to feed their pets.

Other than that it is all good.

Oh my GOD, and I forgot to mention the Hippies, they are everywhere.

Corrupting society, free love, drugs, etc....

Pretty brutal for them though,since they eschew animal fur and tend to freeze easily due to their vegan diet, (not their pets though, they can eat meat, that is all cool, their hypocrisy only extends so far)

So, anyway, if you move here, count on about 15% of you post tax incomce going to begging hippies trying to feed their pets.

Other than that it is all good.

you forgot to mention the Crack Whores :thumbsup:

Colorado sucks, I am moving to Texas.

No $hit. (well probability 50%)

I'll see you at Boondockers.

how did Spanish Peaks go?

What about the theft??? While riding up on Webster, I had a chipmunk try to steal one of my gloves. And the discourtesy of the mountain goats hogging the best lines on the trail. I think I'll move too!!!

"Colorado sucks, I am moving to Texas."

Wrong! I just left Houston for Trinidad after the homicide rate went up 25% post Katrina. It is nice to watch the news again without getting freaked out. It is very hot here as we speak but it cools down at night and you can not see the air here. I have not been in the hills trail riding yet but that is next. We are thinking about moving to Springs or Denver as this is a little too country for the wife. The people are very friendly too. I say run, don't walk but do not tell anybody. :thumbsup:

What about the theft??? While riding up on Webster, I had a chipmunk try to steal one of my gloves. And the discourtesy of the mountain goats hogging the best lines on the trail. I think I'll move too!!!

I had a elk $hit rite in the middle of the single track, I'm with you guys its off to mexico for me. :thumbsup:

Wow- you guys keep talking like that the whole state of cali is gonna move there. I just pack my crack pipe and shot gun in the u-haul. Right next to the bed and the 450 kawi.

-astro-

CO is cold all the time, more than half the time you cant ride cause of weather. No one knows how to drive, The mountains are always overcrowded, and the smog is horrible (on top of that you can barely breathe because on top of the smog you got high altitude). This place sucks, I hate it and am moving to Africa. :thumbsup::ride::cry::ride: