Awesome Tire Changing Video

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transworld MX has a 3 part video with changing tires, I learned alot of small tricks, Including the bead buddy, I have seen those and wondered if they were worth it, now I'm ordering one.

Video Link

That was awesome! I definitely learned a few new tricks to tire changing.

Thanks ?

I'll tell ya right now, a teraflex or a 140-series MT21 is not going to go as smooth as that did!

D

Yeah, I'd like to see him do that. The sidewalls are so stiff on my Karoos you can run them flat.

For those of you who change them yourself without a changing stand, is there anything you've found that works good for a substitute?

I use two 2x4s on the shop floor, keeps the brake rotor and chainring from hitting the ground.

That sure was a soft beaded MX tire he used...that thing would not stand up the rocks I ride.

Good tips though...

For those of you who change them yourself without a changing stand, is there anything you've found that works good for a substitute?
I got an empty Penzoil barrel from a local oil change place and put some radiator hose around the rim, it works great. I'm not sure what the size is but it's about waist high and the diameter is smaller than a 19" rim but large enough that the sprocket fits easily inside so the wheel is resting on the spokes.

Thanks for the link, my next tyre change will be easier for sure. That tyre removal trick was something I've never tried, and it looks like I'll be getting a third lever and buying (or making) a bead buddy. I'll probably try using a stand too. He did make it look easy. One bad thing though is that it won't be as easy out on the trails to use these methods!

The first time I ever changed a tire was a rear, I had absolutly no idea what I was doing and pinched three tubes in the process. I didn't give up, kept changing my own tires and figured it out. It isn't hard at all. The trick is not to get frustrated and just keep practicing. I never had help or tips from anyone while figuring it out.

Just do it, it is basic maintaince.

Nice vid.

Skip the bead buddy and use a pair of vise-grips with a shop rag.

And yeah...that tire was either left in the hot sun all day or was REALLY soft.

And another observation...don't most rear wheels have two bead lock? My '04 WR450 does.

I use the new tire that Im gonna put on to keep the tire and rim off the ground and use the old tire to keep the new setup from touching the ground.

That tire was so soft it was unbeliveable, I have never seen a bead break like that. Generaly it takes me about 10-15 minutes to change a tire using two irons (Im gonna get another one now though) I find the biggest problem is keeping the bead in the dish, I really like the vicegrip idea and will use that along with another iron from now on. Thanks for the videos.