XR600 Backfire Screen

More and more I hear that I should have a stock backfire screen in my '91 xr600r, but I don't have one, i've nevers even seen one (my bike came with out one). I have a twin air cage and filter in there now, should I run a backfire screen? I really would like to at least find one to try out. Does anyone have one of these laying around, or know where to get one? Can one be made, what kind of material is made of? Would I still be able to use my twin air setup with the stock backfire screen? Once again your experience and advice is greatly appreciated.

Anybody with an 'uncorked' bike does not use the backfire screen if they can get away with it. It simply restricts more airflow. If your bike is backfiring enough to light off your air filter/air box, then you have more troubles than the fire under your butt. I've had XR's since 1987 including an XR200, XR400 and now my XR650R. They all used aftermarket airfilters with no backfire screen, no fires, no problems, just a bunch of fun. Ride on!

Anybody with an 'uncorked' bike does not use the backfire screen if they can get away with it. It simply restricts more airflow. If your bike is backfiring enough to light off your air filter/air box, then you have more troubles than the fire under your butt. I've had XR's since 1987 including an XR200, XR400 and now my XR650R. They all used aftermarket airfilters with no backfire screen, no fires, no problems, just a bunch of fun. Ride on!

Thats true about the fire, but thats not all a backfire screen does on an XR. Scott Summers suggest when setting up a bike (XR of course!) to not remove the backfire screen as it leads to both a bottom end bog thats hard to jet out, and a flame out problem. If one does not know what a flame out is it is what happens when you grab a handful of throttle at too low an RPM and the bike goes POOF! And stalls. Thsi almost never happens with a backfire screen in and allot when it is out. Also, a backfire screen makes almost no difference on the dyno or in the real world in HP because the only real restriction is in the high velocity air flow whic is seldom seem on an XR.

I have been riding/wrenching XRs for over 20 years, I always remove the stock air filter and backfire screen and replace with Uni or Twinair. If the carb is jetted correctly, there is never a problem with hiccuping, backfiring or anything else.