Sign in to follow this  

broken collar bone :(

i was at the track thursday and broke my collarbone:(

8 weeks downtime:(

anyone broken theres? if so how long were you out for?

Wow, that sucks man. Sorry I haven't had any experience with collarbones...but lots of broken wrists. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Sometimes when you take a break you can come back and be even better. (Sometimes!)

8 weeks..thats long i was back on the bike at 4 weeks after i broke mine but it was pretty painful on jump landings..id say 6 weeks should be good :thumbsup:

i didnt even break it doin anything difficult. i slid out in a turn :thumbsup:

stupid me haha.

at least it isnt painful at all

only part that hurt was sittin at the hospital for 4 hours :ride:

I'm recooping from a broken collar bone right now. Broke it and 6 ribs 15 days ago. As you can tell by the time, (4:45 AM) I haven't had a good sleep since then. Doc told me I'd be off work for 4 to 6 weeks. I've got a feeling it will be more like 6 to 8 weeks. I had to sleep in a chair the first week or so because it hurt too damn much to lie down. Start rehab today.

I rode six weeks after breaking mine. Trying to sleep that first week or so was the worst part.

I've broken mine also. 6 weeks and I was riding again, doctor said 8-12 weeks. If you broke it in more than one piece, surgery is required and it will be 8-12 week and than remove the plate and another 4-6 weeks (my son).

Best thing you can do to prevent it happening again is to get a neck brace (donut). They can prevent about 90% of the collar bone breaks. I wear one religiously now.

I've broken mine also. 6 weeks and I was riding again, doctor said 8-12 weeks. If you broke it in more than one piece, surgery is required and it will be 8-12 week and than remove the plate and another 4-6 weeks (my son).

Best thing you can do to prevent it happening again is to get a neck brace (donut). They can prevent about 90% of the collar bone breaks. I wear one religiously now.

I have a friend tha broke his collar bone after doing some soil sampling. Is it the helmet that breaks your collar bone when you hit your head?

The clavicle is the most frequently broken bone in your body.

How bad was the break? Displaced...figure on 8 weeks for it to be good and strong. If it is just broken with no displacement mine have healed to doctors approval in as little as 4.

This may be true in some cases but for me I landed directly on my shoulder and my head was in the opposite direction. It was the force, speed and my weight that just broke it like a twig. No neck gear would have helped. Not saying don't wear one but wouldn't count on it to prevent a collarbone break.

My impact was enough that it also broke a rib in my back as it compressed my entire rib cage. Ouch.

You are young I assume? I broke mine 3 times as a kid doing different things.

Once kicked by a horse, playing dodge ball in a gym and landed on my collarbone and the 3rd was riding a bike and flew off and hit it but the one from the dodge ball hadn't completely healed yet.

If the break wasn't too bad it should heal on its own and in 2-3 months be good.

I wasn't so lucky my 4th time and it never even started to heal.

1 surgery later I hope it heals ok this time.

Sad thing is I think I might be giving up dirt bikes. I can't afford this much time down again. May just stick to my street bike.

Good luck!

im definetely gettin one of those thanks

im definetely gettin one of those thanks

A neck brace won't prevent a collarbone break that is caused by trying to catch yourself with your hand and the collarbone breaks or as in my case landing directly on your collarbone.

The neck brace is a great protection against neck injury and the possibility of the helmet hitting the collarbone and breaking it. Keep in mind though if your helmet snaps your neck over far enough to break the collarbone you will most likely have suffered severe neck injuries also.

Neck Brace good idea for the neck.

Reducing collarbone breaks I am not convinced.

a chest protector with a shoulder pad will lessen the impact of a direct shoulder hit. It may not prevent a break, but like the doc says it can turn a compound into a fracture, or a fracture into no break. Im gonna wear mine when Im back into it. Its not uncomfortable, and it MIGHT just do some good!

Unlucky mate, i hope it seems better to ride after 6 weeks.

I broke mine almost two months ago and I rode for the first time yesterday. I was out for about seven and a half weeks but I am still not 100%. Mine broke in one place and shattered in another but the doctor said I did not need surgery. I still have a piece of the bone sticking up from where it snapped and I might get that cut off later but for now I am ready to ride again. The first two weeks are the worst, after that it gets less painful. Before you know it you will be ripping around the track again!