Sign in to follow this  

Buying used 400S

Thanks for the tip. I was just looking through the classifieds on this site. I agree that $3500 is too much for a 2000. I will keep looking for an 02+ if he doesn't want to come down on price.

That sounds like a good plan. The 02+ suspension is better so it would be worth a little more as others have said. I think you could be happy with the 00 but I wouldn't pay anything near $3,500 for it. I paid $4,700 for my 03 brand new.

Good dual sports go for a premium in most areas. I shopped for about a year before I found a good deal. I checked craigslist, cycletrader, nickel ads, and ebay religiously. Through word of mouth I found someone who was willing to sell and hadn't even advertised yet. I showed up the next day with cash. Keep looking and don't buy something unless it's what you want.

butterfield, I bought a 01 S for $2500 this spring, it was completly stock and in good shape. there were very few for sale in my area and this was all I could afford at the time. I am 43 and had not ridden in the dirt for years and I love this bike. I know the suspension is not the best but i have not ridden an 02 or newer so I really don't know the differance. at some point I may upgrade the suspension or the whole bike but for now I am having a blast on my 01. IMO a '00 or '01 that you can afford is much better than a '02 & up that you can't.

I bought my 2000 with only 361 miles on it for $3000.00 last fall. I love my bike and I have no complaints with the suspension. I don't do any jumping though, just ride on pavement and dirt/fire roads.

I bought my 2000 with only 361 miles on it for $3000.00 last fall. I love my bike and I have no complaints with the suspension. I don't do any jumping though, just ride on pavement and dirt/fire roads.

I anticipate mostly going up to the mountains of north georgia and finding fire roads and trails, with an few trips to some ORV parks. I love the flexibility the S provides. I figure a couple years on this bike to decide what type of riding suits me best, then I'll change bikes if needed.

I'm on my way to look at the bike, I'll post up the details in a little bit. I printed out most of this topic to use for negotiating, thanks again to everyone that responded. :thumbsup:

No deal. He's only had it since Feb of this year, he's just trying to see if he can get enough to buy a Jeep. Nice guy, but didn't seemed to concerned about selling, said he's put 1000 miles on it since he got it but all his friends have 4x4's.

The bike was in excellent condition, I offered $2700 he countered with $3100. I'm going to keep shopping.

I bought a totally stock (Except rear rack) 02 DRZ400S with 1870 miles in showroom condition for $3,200.00 about 8 months ago.

Bill "SandShark'

02 DRZ400S

03 DL1000 V-Strom

Jump on a good deal fast when it comes up, I bought a 2001 DRZ400S last week from Craigslist for $3,000. It only had 1540 miles on it, the only mods he did to it were Better tires, Smaller turn signals and and tail light.

I showed up the following day with cash in hand, and while I was there he had 2 calls asking him not to sell to anyone else, they were coming with the cash. One even tried to outbid me...but he sold it to me for what he agreed on.

I had been looking since May, they seem to sell from 3500 to 4000 usually.

Dont drag your feet if one shows up...They dont last long

You can also use the NADA and Kelly blue book used motorcycle price guide for leverage in bargaining, and to avoid overpaying.

www.nadaguides.com

in my zip code, NADA average retail for a '00 DR-Z400S is $2,300, and an '01 is $2,600

Kelly Blue Book is here - www.kbb.com

average retail there is $2,925 for '00, $3,130. for an '01

The KBB values are for dealer sales with warranty, etc. so higher, but this should give you a good range for bargaining. I just paid $2,850. for an '01 with about 3600 miles. It had an extra set of new Dunlap 606 tires, rack, and many armor upgrades, he was asking $3100.

Be sure to scan the local paper, and local ad rags (usually at the checkout counter of grocery stores). Mine is online now, so I don't need to buy it to read it. I have no regrets on buying an '01, it can be upgraded easily. They ARE hard to find used. The only other one was an '05 and the guy wanted 4900. for it, (which is the price for *new* ones here).

Bob

Yeah, good luck butterfield! :thumbsup: Hurry up and come buy this bike so I can pay for this camaro!

Oh yeah, so all you can see what he's looking at. I have a 2003 DRZ400S with 3500 miles on it 3x3, jetted, big gun race exhaust, baja tailight, acerbis handgaurds, ceet cover, Answer graphics and 2 sets of wheels that I am trying to sell to him for $3600. He's already got me down to $3500. But that's as low as I'm going! :cry:

Now everyone can tell him what a good deal he's getting.

See you Saturday right??????? :ride: