Sign in to follow this  

Help with Acerbis hand guards on my 230

Bone stock 05 CRF230... bought the Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards. The clutch lever is hitting the guard itself, like it's not really even close to fitting in there.

I called Acerbis and the sales chicky I talked to couldn't help me. She gave me the "we've never experienced before, maybe get a different guard". This was pretty much a BS answer and it pissed me off. My bike is new and unmodified, there shouldn’t be any weird issues with this stuff.

I called a local parts supplier to see if there was a smaller lever I could replace mine with. He suggested maybe to cut mine.

I'm not really wanting to hack up my bike to make stuff fit. Anyone experience this or have a suggestion?

Thanks

I guess that's a fix.... was trying to not cut or bend though.

If that's what I gotta do that's what I gotta do then.

I'm a car guy before a bike guy, so bending and doing things like that isn't really an accepted fix usually. :thumbsup:

Loosen the lever on the handlebar and relocate it more toward the inside.

I can accept that some of the forum users may be young, but Sonic I am guessing you have a driver’s license by the list of all those Sweet cars. Little bit scary there...

What's that suppose to mean?

I'm asking for suggestions on this, not looking for smartass remarks by some self-righteous middle age guy (that appears to be what you are doing. If you are not, forgive me). "buy something else" or "cut your lever" and "I have no idea what you could do" are the answers I'm getting from 'professionals' in the industry.... I called two large local shops and the manufacture and those are the responses I got. I'm not accepting that so I'm here seeing what others have done.

*PS, age can be found by clicking 'view public profile'

You should be able to look at the lever and realize that once the lever is loose it rotates and slides side to side on the handle bar. By relocating the mounting position you are now giving the end which is hitting the handguard more room. Move the kill switch if you have to but cutting the lever isn’t necessary. Simply loosen where the lever bolts to the handle bar.

As for the rest, this isn’t a smart ass remark this is a whoa, you call yourself a car guy and you hadn’t look at he entire issue. You got so focused on the end of the lever you failed to notice that the lever itself moves in its position.

Yeah, I call myself a car guy. Let me bring up again the 3 actual bona fide professionals in the industry that couldn't give me ANY sort of advice other than to cut it. So I can’t be considered a complete retard.

I moved the whole assembly tonight... It fits much closer, but still hits somewhat. Good enough to ride though.

I appreciate the help, but don't so much care for my newb'ness being thrown at me. Yeah, I did focus on that end of it and failed to see a solution. Granted I didn’t spend a great deal of time tinkering with it (the bike isn’t at my place) and asked before I really looked. I honestly felt kinda stupid when I actually installed them tonight. :-X

I also just kinda wanted to bitch.... Maier was a real treat to deal with today about some other stuff.

Sonic, I cut mine to fit and then the filed the ends nice and smooth. It'll look fine.

Kim

get a shorty lever. Most people use 1 or 2 fingers anyway and shorties are less likely to get damaged from a fall. :thumbsup:

The standard solution has always been to cut the ball off... It's not needed if there is a guard... It's there to stop the lever from digging in the dirt or stabbing you... With a guard it's redundant... Cut, file, sand...

If that's not exceptable to you spend money on shorty levers...

Yeah, that's what I thought would be a solution. But two shops said there wasnt shorty levers made.

Why do cars people suck(ricers)?

Because they have cage on the brain and can't think

They are slow and so are their rides

They think the bigger the stickers and the bigger the dumb ass wing the faster it will go

I could go on for days

The standard solution has always been to cut the ball off... It's not needed if there is a guard... It's there to stop the lever from digging in the dirt or stabbing you... With a guard it's redundant... Cut, file, sand...

If that's not exceptable to you spend money on shorty levers...

You kidding me? You've never fell over having the guard spin out of the way... exposing your lever?!

That's bad advice... And not the standard in my garage. :ride: It's more like a band-aid fix for something that could end up as a disaster.

Buy the right guards so you don't need to "adjust" something that is there for a reason... :thumbsup:

Best thing for him to do is take the Acerbis's back (as I too had this issue back in the day when other manufacturers weren't available or desired) and get Cycra's or Enduro Engineering guards. I've never had a problem with my Cycras. But please don't cut your levers!!

:applause:

i ran into this problem when i first bot it too. I just repositioned some of the stuff on the bars a little bit, while this didnt bother me, you might think differently, just lettin ya know

I cut my lever with a hacksaw just enough to clear it. Then grinded it smooth with a file. It turned out good

I cut my lever with a hacksaw just enough to clear it. Then grinded it smooth with a file. It turned out good

Instead of a sharp steak knife... now you have a dull butter knife. :thumbsup:

Either way, I've seen these things do some knarly damage... and nothing I ever want to endure!

:ride: