Sign in to follow this  

prebuy inspection items to look at? 300

I'm leaving my 4 stroke for a KTM...

Looking at 3 bikes, 2000 300exc, very clean! not showing much wear on the brakes, shifter ect. start first kick. will ride tomorrow.

I plan on looking at this week end a 2002 300 EXC and 2003 300MXC

Any suggestion on what to be concerned with, any know faults with these bikes?

I confuessed on what bike i would like :thumbsup: most?

I'm 6'2'' over 35 with two boys, like to ride trails and and make my own trail (low end tec.) and I think jumping is fun if i don't land too hard.

300's in those years will vibrate more than your four stroke, be ready for that.

Things to check

1. fork seals

2. wheel bearings and swing arm bearings and where the shock connects to the swing arm.

3. clatter from the engine.

4. clutch lever adjustment (is the adjuster screwed all the way in, plates might be worn.)

5. front and rear sprockets, and if they are worn then the chains not far behind.

6. bent or beat up radiators, take the cap off and see what the fluid looks like.

7. When starting the bike does it kick start like there is good compression? A 300 should need a fairly strong leg.

8. Check for tweaked forks, seating on the bike do the handle bars and front wheel line up (perpendicular).

Good luck, have fun.

the 2000 models had harsh fork action which is easily fixed with a do-it-yourself kit... countershaft seals leak, but easily fixed, may be a way to get price down a little if leaking...KTM fork seals leak too, but again easy fix...wheel and lower shock bearings wear too as said...pluses would be soft seat foam cuz KTM are like a 2x4, springs matching your weight. KTM's NEED springs to be right or they wont work too good.

In 04 they went to a newer, lighter motor, pre 04 pretty much the same.

Thanks, I seen the 03 30mxc is almost 15 lbs lighter and has 48MM forks, I heard that the gears are close ratio 5 speed, compared to exc wide 6 speed, what transmission is best for the woods?

Ktm's published weights vary quite a bit so dont go on that alone.\

Lots of people have ideas on the gears. I ride 200's and like the MXC close ratio gb for it due to the smaller motor. I had a 300EXC and it pulled the wide ratio fine, but either will work.

Just the normal stuff like wheel bearings and lower shock bearing wear and so forth. Nothing really that special about what wears out on a KTM. If the front wheel does not line up with the fender that is easy to fix and does not cost a dime. Loosen the steering stem nut, loosen the 10mm stem clamp bolt and it will pretty much line up on it's own.

KTM issues

Stock wheel spacers were made from soft material. Check to see if they have been replaced.

The upper chain guide bolt comes loose and then the chain rips it out.

Break lever bearing wear. Skate board wheel bearings work fine and are cheap

That is pretty much about it. Oh check the steering stops and that the CDI is not damaged. it sits up on the head tube and is easy to crack the case if the stop came loose or fell out.

I bought the 2003 300 MXC it looked like new!!, I rode the 250EXC it seemed softer had good power and easily wheelied and most gears. The 300 MXC felt totally different, as far as ergonomics, also It had the bottom end that you read about!

I got two pipes, two seats, two extra tires, 2 quart PJ 1 gold, fork saver transport support, Hand gaurds, owners book bag and supper clean bike for 2800.00 US !

Rode last night for 20 minutes before it got to dark, power comes on smooth, but bike cuts loose if snap it, I think i will remove the 13 tooth and try 14 first, I'm 6'2 and like my bars high for standing up, it looks like a shim could be installed to fix that?

The MXC is going to have a much harder hit, stiffer suspension, and probably a 19" rear wheel.

Depends on how you ride, you might be able to soften it up with gearing.

as a few have mentioned, i would check the fork seals. i have trouble with mine some, and as i've read, other ktm's do too. i wouldnt worry if the countershaft seal is leaking... that's a very common problem with ktm's, but as Mike in Fresno said, it might be a good way to negotiate the price a little.

i would ask how the bike has been maintained. how often the top end was replaced, oil changed, air filter cleaned, etc.

a good idea that i read in a thread a while back about buying a used bike is to pull the air filter off the bike, and with a clean white cloth wipe the inside of the air boot to see if any dirt has been sucked into the motor.

I took my new MXC 300 (2003)to the Beginner MX track (5 and 6 foot tabletops), Redneck's right about it hitting hard, With the suspension not tuned in, it was bucking me and I didn't have the guts to climb on it at the jumps. I spent most of the time riding the old KLX 300, I've ordered new springs 46 front and 9.8 rear for my 260lbs dry weight and will try it again, meanwhile I'm getting used to it on the farm trails, The first 1/8 throttle seems rich, I've tried playing with the air screw, but not much change, I don't know if i should try a different needle setting or needle because it is so damm hot and humid right now? I like the bike but I wounder if it not too much for someone out of shape and pushing 40?

It really goes!, I notice it makes a rattling engine sound, my friend said that its normal for a two stroke, I guess his Polaris 4 wheeler sound similar, but I can't help but wounder if i shouldn't take a look at the top end, replace piston just for maintenance reasons, also I read people are having carbon issue with the power valve, anyone ever adjust this?