Sign in to follow this  

Doing your own bike maintenance

If you want to do your own bike maintenance but you're not quite comfortable yet, you may want to check out the instructional DVD's from Motopower Video Productions. We're a proud sponser of Thumpertalk!

We have DVD's on Basic maintenance which includes how to: Change the oil and oil filter, Clean and lubricate the air filter, Lube the throttle cables and brake cables, Check and adjust the spokes, Replace the chain and sprokets and set the chain tension properly, Check the wheel bearings and seals, Inspect the swingarm bearings, Change the rear tire & install the wheel, Change the Brake Pads and Bleed/flush the brake fluid. We use several makes/models of bikes in the DVD to demonstrate the differences between procedures on each bike.

We have Valve Adjust DVD's for just about the entire Honda line. This DVD shows you how to check your valve clearance and calculate the correct shim size if the valves need adjusting.

If you're having problems with your carburetor, check out the Carb Tune-Up DVD. It features diagnosing and tuning a two stroke and a four stroke fitted with with a Keihin Carb.

We also have DVD's on suspension maintenance for Forks and Shocks. You learn how to remove, disassemble, clean, assemble and refill your suspension. We'll also show you how the clickers and valve/shims operate. The Shock DVD describes how to set the sag properly.

Need a top end? If you own a CRF250/450 or a KTM two stroke, we have the DVD for you.

To view a small clip from our DVD's, please click on our Banner Ad at the top of the page or click www.motopowervideo.com

Cheers,

:thumbsup: Do you have a DVD on wife maintenance? All mine says is No,&%$#@!,whats in the box,come in from the garage the kids want to meet there dad,ETC. Then theres that once a month deal that last for 5-7 dreaded days. heres what my wifes face looks like :ride:

Just want to comment on the DVD video's. I have seen the Top End, Valve Adj., Fork and Shock video's.

All in all they are OK for basic info. But I really think that they lack detailed infomation on several aspects of the what ever jobs that they maybe demo'ing.

Examples:

SHOCK Vid:

Seems to be a wam-bam-thank-you-mama. They never really get into any real detail. I do not recall any mention about inspecting the internals for wear. The bladder that is in the CRF450 video looks worn and they re-use it. To me these are the points that I was looking for and did not get. Maybe showing examples of worn parts compaired to new one maybe....

But I guess that all-in-all they are great to just have a visual reference to the entire breakdown of the shock.

Valve Check Vid:

Same thing here they never get into checking the cams for scoring,wear or adjusting the auto-decompressor after shiming. Would have been nice to see the Cam removed. They do not talk about how to check the auto-chain tensioner, or checking the guides and chain for wear.

These are important things that I feel need to be addressed.....

But over all the vid's are great for a visual reference but lacking in important details.

Maybe these guys might put out a MOD DVD that covers things in more detail.

I give it :thumbsup::ride::cry: out of 5

theDogger

Dogger, I understand what you're saying, definately. You are also correct with respect to what is included/not-included.

But I think the video's are a 5 of 5, not a 3 of 5. Let me tell you why.

The purpose of these video's, so far as I can tell, is to teach the newbie how to do the maintenece (check a valve, calculate and change a shim, dissassemble, replace and resassemble). This is the core purpose. These are not made for the more advanced mechanic.

I also feel that once a newbie (such as myself) does it a few times, the little things like inspecting for changes in the amount of wear will come naturally.

I think covering that ultra-detailed info you describe as missing would make it unneccessarily complex for the total newbie, such as myself. As it is, I was able to do the work w/out issue by myself just recently after watching the Vavle DVD. It made me comfortable with the job, and I did it w/out complication. To me, that's a 5 of 5.

As I own the bike longer, and do teh job more and more, i'll start to pay attention to stuff like you mention.

What I WOULD like to see from these guys are a continually expanded library of offerings, which I think would make you happy as well, for instance:

1) advanced Valves DVD - including total valve replacement, cam chain removeal replacement, spring tension, seat grinding, etc

2) complete top end for thumpers - model specific - piston, pins, etc...

3) all about clutches - replacement, rekluses, etc..

4) wheel lacing and truing

5) miscellaneous greatest hits - Fly wheel weight replacement, greasing head bearings, suspension bearings, etc

I know I would be all about the top end, and valve replacement video's.

To me, I bought the DVD's to be able to do the maintence. It completely succeeeds 100% in that respect, 5 of 5.

I understand where you are coming from but in your closing remarks....

To me, I bought the DVD's to be able to do the maintence.

Maintence is the KEY word here even as a newbie being able to or at least having some general understanding of what to look for in worn parts could save you a lot of time and $$$$. This is all bpart of maintance. My examples would be in the shock video when he replaces a sacked out bladder or on the top-end vid he does not even talk about checking for wear on the chain guides or chain. So as a NEWBIE you follow along and think that your guides are OK and BAM! Your brand new top-end is finished becasue of a small detail of MAINTANCE!

But I do agreee that they are nice to have some sort of visual aid in tackling the different jobs.

But still :thumbsup::ride::cry: outta 5

theDogger