02 SX 400 conversion to a 450 - Can this still be done ?

I had one, best engine KTM did not build. It is a simple big bore kit that Travis has done more of than anyone and really brings a 400 to life.

Think of;

400 as small bore, short stroke

450 EXC/MXC small bore, long stroke.

450 SX & XC big bore, short stroke

The big bore put on the 400 makes a 453, same bore, fraction more stroke then the 450SX & XC so almost the same but the 400/453 has a longer rod then the 450SX/XC which is good for a big more power then the short rod SX/XC.

I think Travis will have what you need and can do a cylinder exchange deal to reduce down time.

Yes, that is him. Your 400 SX was a GREAT bike. I had an 02 and LOVED it. It started to fall apart, and for the racing I did it was not safe for me anymore... so I upgraded. If it had been up to me, I would have kept the 400 and made it into a 453. LIke Dave said, the best bike KTM never made. You have the 48 mm forks, SS valves, just a great bike. Throw on a newer subframe and airbox and you can update it to take the new one piece rear fender, and you have a good looking, fast bike that is STONE reliable. You can also put the new front fender on and the 05 shrouds and it would look fantastic. If you want the parts to do that let me know, I can get you a great deal...

That sounds great ! I wasn't sure if you could change out different parts to make it like the newer bikes. Yamaha and Honda's you have to change everything. LOL... Let me know what it would take and what the cost would be. Thanks !

Yeah, it is fairly inexpensive if you want to update. For a subframe, airbox, and fender, you are looking around $250 if you buy from someone parting out a bike, and you can just order new shrouds and the fender, though I am told you might need to either cut or shim the fender, but it should still bolt right on. If you are serious, there is a guy on KTMTalk named Gearhead who parts bikes out and has exactly what you are looking for. You can either go there or if you are really serious I can give you his phone number.

I'm very serious. This is going to be my project bike that I'm not going to let my son and his friends take away after it's completed. ? Right now it has all black plastics and i just had a custom graphics kit order for it. Let me check with them to see if it's to late to change my order. $325 :ride: but what can I say, I like Blue and it cost more to have these special made.

Would parts from a SX525 be the same ?

The cylinder is the same but the 525 piston will not work because the wrist pin is in the wrong location..

I have a kit in stock. Comes complete with cylinder (exchanged) piston kit, gaskets and cam link.

Depending on the type of riding you are doing I might recomend a 525 cam as well. It will give better midrange and over rev than the stock 400 cam. the stock cam goes flat too soon when used with the 453 kit.

You can reach me at 661-713-4295

BTW the 02 and up subframes will interchange. but if you are trying to update the look of the bike by installing the "whale tail" (03 450sx and 04+) rear fender you need more than just the sub frame. You will need the subframe, fender, seat, airbox and airbox cover.

Thanks, I'll try and give you a call tomorrow. ? As far as the question about the SX525, I found someone parting one out and I was checking to see if the sub frame, air box and seat would fit my 02 SX400.

Yeah, it is fairly inexpensive if you want to update. For a subframe, airbox, and fender, you are looking around $250 if you buy from someone parting out a bike, and you can just order new shrouds and the fender, though I am told you might need to either cut or shim the fender, but it should still bolt right on. If you are serious, there is a guy on KTMTalk named Gearhead who parts bikes out and has exactly what you are looking for. You can either go there or if you are really serious I can give you his phone number.

Please let me know his number. I still can't find any of the parts I need on eBay. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Today I finally finished putting everything back together.

I tried it out today for about 30 minutes or more going different speeds through the gears. Nothing to slow or hard. Then I changed the oil and rode it for an hour a little harder. Man ? What a difference. Wheeled in the first 3 gears with a easy twist of the throttle. Next weekend, I'll take it out and see how it matches up with my sons YZ450F. What I've seen so far, I love it. Any suggestions on a exhaust setup ? Thanks Travis for the kit and all your advise :ride: