Sign in to follow this  

Bend area to Portland. Via dirt?

Hey gang. I'm concidering making a dual sport trip to the PDX metro area soon. Are there any good offroad/gravel routes over the Cascades to that area? I'd love to keep it off I-5, I-84, I-205, 26, 22, and other major highways. Like Brad21 did on his Roseburg route, little or no highway would be hot. I'll discuss more as we get this thread going. Any help appreciated! Jon, Matt...if you're out there, any ideas from you guys?

Thanks,

Dan

Hey gang. I'm concidering making a dual sport trip to the PDX metro area soon. Are there any good offroad/gravel routes over the Cascades to that area? I'd love to keep it off I-5, I-84, I-205, 26, 22, and other major highways. Like Brad21 did on his Roseburg route, little or no highway would be hot. I'll discuss more as we get this thread going. Any help appreciated! Jon, Matt...if you're out there, any ideas from you guys?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

I would love to do this ride with you. Let me pull out some maps and look.

I know that a person can get to the the foothills of the Cascades somewhat near Salem on gravel roads, but a soon as you hit the Valley it is almost all private property.

I am glad you got the cast off.

I will talk with you more about this later.

Jon

Cool Jon! I've got a bachelor party followed by a wedding reception (a month later). My buddy and I had the itch to have a little extra curricular fun by DSing on the way over. Feel free to join if it pans out!

Dan

It can be done, we used to ride from the crooked finger main line up above scottsmills to detroit and idanha. From there to bend i'm sure there is plenty of service roads and trails Its been quit a few years since i've done it so i dont know if all the same service roads and trails are still there we used a marion county metskers map which was pretty close to being right on. If you start in bend and come out at scottsmills it will be all pavement from there to portland or you can get your hands on a metskers map of clackamas county and find a route that will dump you out at mt hood. That would be a good ride bend to mt hood. Good luck

It can be done, we used to ride from the crooked finger main line up above scottsmills to detroit and idanha. From there to bend i'm sure there is plenty of service roads and trails Its been quit a few years since i've done it so i dont know if all the same service roads and trails are still there we used a marion county metskers map which was pretty close to being right on. If you start in bend and come out at scottsmills it will be all pavement from there to portland or you can get your hands on a metskers map of clackamas county and find a route that will dump you out at mt hood. That would be a good ride bend to mt hood. Good luck

Funny, that is the exact route I was thinking and discovered about 3 years ago on my XT500. I just rode as far east as I could, stumbled across the hamlet of Scotts Mills, and took the pavement to gravel and kept riding east.

I do not remember if there we any numbers associated with that particular road, but I was looking at my map which goes from a little west of the summit of the Cascades east (I am missing the map directly to the west of my map), but it looks like there is a road (I think it was 4970 (I do not have the map in front of me, I am away from home today) that basically goes from the top of the Cascades west.

I think that there is a powerline road that will dump you out near Vernonia. I have ridden it from the Hood river area all they way to Hwy. 26. Perhaps it continues south linking up with the road from Idanha.

Cool info! I'll do some looking myself. Gotta look into making a rack for my DRZ...Would have some crap to haul!

Keep it comin',

Dan

I've heard of trails from Molalla to Eastern Oregon... no idea where they go though.

That would be a badass trip.

Yea that hole area is cool, i really miss it had lots a good times out on the molalla river, real popular place for the sun bathers. Up on the crooked finger mainline there used to miles and miles of single track that would take you to some pretty cool places and some of those trails were pretty nasty. Scottsmills was a pretty popular place with the hells angels back in the day seen some pretty nasty fights there, kinda scary i was pretty young then.