Like pulling wheel bearings...

Kinda just snuck back into dirt biking after a 22 year hiatus since giving up MX back in 84. Bought an old '92 Husky 350 WXC to do a bit of trail riding on...quickly turned into doing lap after lap at the local MX track.

Ended up smoking the rear bearings and I need to pull the races from the hubs. Anyone have any tips to accomplish this task. "Back in the day" on my old Can-Am I didn't have much problem, but I can't get these things out. Is there some kind of clip or set screw acting as a retainer?

Back in '82, I had a brief stint on a Husky CR250, but hated it. I couldn't make it turn...at least like I could a Can-Am. The WXC is certainly better than what I rode back in the 80's. Disc brakes are sweet and I like the Husky's suspension, although I can't see to get the forms to sag properly or compress to aid in turning even though they bottom out a bit too frequently elsewhere on the track. Rear is pretty supple, and also bottoms out. Blew off the shocks' bottom out bumpter (but it was dry rotted, I think) and broke off a shock tab on the swingarm. Easy to ride engine, very tractable. I do occasionally have problems with my boots hanging up on the bottom edge of the seat, though. Maybe next summer I'll be able to bump up to a leftover 2006 Husky, but in the mean time I'd sure welcome any advice on how to make my old WXC better meet my needs (and get new bearings in that rear wheel!)

There is an alloy castle type nut bearing cap on one side (Sprocket if i remmeber right) also check there is a cirlip one side also.Easy make sure these are out 1st.This applies to all the 1991-99 Husky wheels.

Also adviable to heat around the bearing housing I use an electric heat gun.

Hi Mark,

You're riding history sounds alot like mine (20 yr hiatus, bought a 92 TE350 in 01 then after a year or 2 wanted a state of the art machine). What forks are on you're 350 ? If it has the Showa's, there are a couple of mods available for them . I never tried them as mine worked fairly well. I loved that 350, it's a bulletproof bike except, of course, for the normal wear and tear. Be warned, if you get a chance to ride a newer model (02 and up), you're 350 will feel like an old CZ that can't turn ! ?

Found the mods in the Parts Unlimited catalog here on TT

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2006/s2_829.jpg

Jerry