Sign in to follow this  

What Sprocket Size Combo?

I have a DRZ400E and use it solely for trail riding. The terrain ranges from tight single track with steep & rutted hills, to flowing twin tracks. I am currently running a 13:47 combination. However the bike revs much higher than I would like on the transport sections (main forest dirt roads) at 50 mph. Even on the twin tracks I am often hunting for the sixth gear which does not exist.

I understand the bike came standard with a 14:47 which is still much lower geared than the DR400S. What is this like?

What sprocket combination do other guys use for trail riding?

:thumbsup:

I have an 05 DRZs that i changed to 14/47 from the stock 15/44. It was a big improvement for offroading without sacrificing on road riding. I can still cruise at 70 mph with no problem. :thumbsup::ride:

I also switched to 14/47 and I like it enough that I wouldn't switch back. I find that 60 mph (sustained) is about the max for me on the street.

14-47 is what I'vew gone to on my S... I've tried two other combos, and this one suits me best... light trails, and the occasional freeway trail connector

I'm running 13/44 combo and can't imagine going any lower than that. I can go over 80 - but 60 is comfy cruising speed. I usually ride trails in second with this combo and it feels perfect, gives me room to shift up for faster and down for steeper hill and tighter sections. Its just about perfect for me :thumbsup:

I ride mostly tight trails and used to use a 13/47 with the stock bore engine (full exhaust/hot cams etc.) but since the big bore I've gone back up to 14/48 because I had trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground at all in first.

FWIW, you are not going to hurt your engine going 50 with 13/47 gearing. These engines really like to rev when jetted properly.