Would you like a 6th gear in the Yamaha WR's?

Am I the only one that wants a 6th gear for my WR? I have found a great compromise in gearing for street and dirt use (14/47), but I wish that these bikes had a 6th gear like the KTM's so that I could have lower than stock gearing (like 14/53 or 13/50) and still be able to cruise above 60 mph regularly. I have to ride 55-65 for a few miles to get to my favorite single track trails and when I get there, my gearing is just a little too high while on teh road, it is just a little too low. It's too bad these bikes aren't like the KTM's which can be retrofitted for a few hundred dollars from 4 speeds to 6 speed trannies. Am I alone in wanting a 6th gear? It would make the almost perfect WR series the absolute perfect dual sport and performance trailbike ever offered in the market.

I use mine for street and dirt and find the same problem. A sixth gear would be nice... I'd like to have the low gears a little close spaced for woods riding, but the wide ratio is a must for a 5-speed dual sport.

A YZ's tranny ratios are so tight that even if you could make it street legal, it would be impractical to ride it any distance.

I like the idea of a 6 speed, but I do think that they could have done better on the gearing on the 5. 5th gear is ok for me, but 1st is too high. I got a 13 tooth front but I havent been able to find the time to install it. I am dreaddind to find out what it will do to the top end.

John in Vegas

YES i run mine on the highway most of the time but play on the way home and the weekends. i think the stock gearing works best for both but it seems a little close to the rev limiter doing 85 mph ) now where can i get a CHEAP 3.1 gal tank?

I would like a 6 speed if it were a close ratio transmission. The wide ratio is real nice offroad but with a close ratio I could have a better time on a track.

When would you ever get into 6th gear (even with a close ratio) on a track? Are you racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats?

YES i run mine on the highway most of the time but play on the way home and the weekends. i think the stock gearing works best for both but it seems a little close to the rev limiter doing 85 mph ) now where can i get a CHEAP 3.1 gal tank?

Just buy a WR426, that is a really easy way to get a 3.1 gal tank and it comes already installed!