Sign in to follow this  

cleaning air filter

i started using bel ray air filter oil and it is so gooey and hard to clean , is it all right to use gas to clean it?

I am going to go back to the no toil oil instead it washed out no problem

any advice?

cheers rob

Gas eats away at the filter. Buy some pj1 filter cleaner.

My advice is to use no-toil again. I love not having to work to get the filter clean.

I have always used gas. You will need a better than stock air filter though. I have always used UNI filters. They are really tough.

I too have always used gas on my air filters. As soon as all the grease is off I rinse it with dish soap and let dry. Then I use TA filter oil. I saw a video of Andrew Shorts mechanic doing this. Saves money.

I always check the filter to see if the glue is intact, I can say for certain the glue shows no signs of separation.

I just tried the UNI filter cleaner on my filter that was oiled with belray-I couldn't believe how well it worked. My filter looked brand new. :thumbsup:

Kerosene...works just as good as gas, if not better, but don't eat the glue from the filter.

Mineral Spirits will also clean the filters oiled with bel ray very well. I have used the same filter since my bike was new (2years) and the filter still looks like it was just bought.

Kerosene and then soap and water, treat with BelRay and you are done. I use Twin Air filters, but I keep a Ready Filter or two around if I need to do a change at the track.

I always use diesel to clean my filters with, heard that diesel wont eat the filter or the filter glue like gas....it works great on my filters... :thumbsup:

Stick with No Toil and now you can get pre oiled filters for 11 bucks from them.

I bought a coulpe of the pre-NO Toil oiled filters. They are holding up better then the stock filter did.

Anyone ever done the math on what it costs to clean and re-oil a filter with No Toil? Just wondering if it's worth it to toss them and put in a pre-oiled everytime.

I've always used laquer thinner. It works instantly, and dries fast. I have'nt had any problems with melting glue or deteriorating foam.