DR200 Carb trouble...(please help me!!)

Ok...i have a '99 Suzuki DR 200 SE with a mikuni carb, i have a few questions...one is does anyone out there know what model carb this bike has and the other is a technical question...i rode my bike to my brothers house a month back....he lives about an hour and 30 min away and then i rode it back home the next day and let my bike sit for about 3 weeks without riding it again...i went out to go start it and the damn thing wouldnt stay running longer than 10 sec even on full choke! Completely unheard of for this bike for me...it had been ridiculously reliable before now...so after talking to a few people the number one guess was that i had a gunked up carb possible due to this new E10 gasoline...so into the carb i went pulling everything out and drenching it in carb cleaner (except the diaphragm of course)...i put it back in and sure enough it fired up....only it would barely idle and when i gave it gas it died...after tooling with it a few days i finally got it to maintain idle and took it for a ride...and this is where my problem enlies...Problem 1: it will not run on "no choke" unless i up the idle...Problem 2: it will not maintain a constant steady idle....it fluctuates...Problem 3: When not in gear (either neutral or holding clutch in) and reving up the bike it stays revved up for a good 10 seconds and takes a long time coming back down to idle...problem 4: when going about 45 mph in 4th or 5th there is a fluctuation of power....like im being rocked frontwards and backwards almost as though it werent getting enough gas...and it will only get up to 60 mph when before i could do 75mph no problem......please anyone if u have any insight please help....i am getting rather bummed about this bike and would love to ride it again soon

These are very simple carbs. The only adjustment, besides rejetting, is the idle speed. Since you didn't rejet and you just cleaned, you can't have too many things worng with it. I'd start by making sure my gas tank was clean and taking a look at the plug to see what is going on in there.

I noticed that if I had my DR200SE's idle set too high, it would take a loooong time to fall back down to idle after getting revved up or coming to a stop light. Idle fluctuating can be too lean or too rich, but most likely too lean.Check your boots and make sure they haven't been torn and are sealed up good.

Ok...so i looked at the spark plug and it looks fine...it had a small chip in it on a spot that wouldnt matter but decided to replace the plug anyway...the wear on the plug looked really good...the new spark plug had no affect...so if u think its running to lean and not getting enough gas...(which would explain the studdering at higher speeds) than what would u say to do?...and to make it less lean do i tighten or loosen the mixture screw and roughly how many turns?...another question there are three jets within this carb...a main jet and a pilot jet...and one other jet on the topside of the carb where the diaphragm is located...of these three which one handles the high speed...im thinking of replacing all three...what do u think...thank u very much for your input i really appreciate it...i was about to give up on it....

jacob

main jet does high speed.

When you cleaned it did you also clean the float valve?

also, try turning the pecock onto prime, and see if it does it then or not.

well i took the float and the pin out...and also took out the needle valve that is controlled by the float...but the cylinder that the needle sits in is held down by a screw and im a little weary to open it...but i guess thats what i shall do next....thank u for your input.....if any other ideas please let me know

Sounds like the bike is operating in a lean condition.

1. Won't idle without choke

2. Erratic idle

3. Hanging revs

4. Really clean spark plug. ((Should be tan to medium brown).

I'd go with the suggestion of an air leak as someone mentioned already.Check for loose carb boots by spraying wd 40 around them and see if your rpms pick up or not. Make sure the the air filter is still on tight and parts havn't fallen or come loose of the airbox. If the pilot screw is on the engine side of the carb turning it counter clockwise will add more fuel and if it's on the air intake side turning it counter clockwise will increase the air mixture. The pilot screw is usally turned in all the way lightly bottoming out and screwed out around 1.5 -2 turns. Start there while its idling and warm. Turn it in until the bike stumbles and then turn it the opposite way until it's running crappy, then put it right in the middle. Your pilot screw should have a tiny o ring and a tiny metal washer on it when you pull it out the o ring is usuall still stuck in the hole and you need to fish it out with a hook shaped paper clip. If it's missing or the o ring is mashed in place you can have issues with idling. Keep in mind that the pilot screw really affects only idling and slightly above that. It would not have any noticeable affect on mid to full throttle operation. If your riding 45 in 5th gear you may be in that throttle positon where the pilot screw could be messing things up for you.

Edited by scotteroni
mispelling

Hello Everyone,

I need some help with my DR 200 carb too. Its an old bike from 1993 but in a good shape what I want to maintain. The carburetor started to work unwell so I looked inside and noticed some holes in the diaphragm. I checked oem parts and thats a huge amount of money. I would try to buy an aftermarket one but I didn't find.

I wondered if I would know the exact type of this mikuni I could find one.

I plan to buy a repair kit also. If anyone has experience with those which can be bought on ebay please tell me.

Thanks!

i know this thread is a little old.  try cleaning the rubber diaphram really good then use rubber contact cement like bicycle tube repair cement with a some heavy gauge flexible plastic.  if the hole is too big it may or may not work because of the gas.  I did this and it seemed to work.  It had a small hole at the top by the lip of the cap.  

Edited by chuck12345

i have an 07 DR200se.  I keep reading posts about the lean jetting from the factory.
  i had the same problems with jetting at sea level and higher elevations 2500ft and higher with blueing of the header pipe. From what i have read and heard around from different sources this is somewhat normal because of cheaper manufacturing.  You need to get the jetting somewhere in the correct range for sea level and higher elevations.
07 year had a CV31bst.  It was so lean.  When i opened it up it had a 125main and i think a 25 pilot.   At this time for higher elevations above 2500ft I bumped up the pilot to a 35/37.5, the main to 135 and raised the needle with washers because it had only the one slot.  It's close but could be better. Runs ok for off-road use.  I left it factory original with the factory air box and filter.                                                                                                        It's too lean back at sea level - 500ft with the normal idle problems and the other problems with too lean.  For sea level i got some bigger jets.  I will probably try a 140-145 main and a 40pilot keeping the needle raised a little then just bump down the jets for higher elevations.  It is fairly easy.  Loosen the clamps on the ends of the carb and roll it over on it's side and remove the bowl.  To remove the top for the main jet needle roll it on its side.
    The other idea is to bump up the jets to a 40pilot and 140- 145main then raise and lower the needle.   If you have an after market free flowing breather you will need to bump up the jets.                                                                                                                                                                  Whatever way you decide to do this jetting thing has been very time consuming.  Different regions where you live will effect the jetting.  Take a look at the plug to see how it is burning.   I take 2 readings.  One at idle then the other at full throttle rev in a higher gear then shut it down.  Good luck.

then

Edited by chuck12345

On 7/1/2011 at 8:36 AM, Papalard said:

anyone know what the "normal" setting for the air get is

1 to 1 1/2 turns out.