Sign in to follow this  

2006 RM250 engine

I'm thinking of trading in my 03 RM250 for a 06 RM250.I would to like to hear real feedback from real riders that own a 06 RM250.Is the engine more powerful than the 05 RM250?I heard great reviews on the 05'.Sounds like the 06 RM has great suspension and tracks straight.I like a bike that hits hard off the bottom.I found a local dealer that has 6ea- 06RM250 in stock and selling them cheap.Lets hear what you like about the engine :ride::thumbsup:

I have never ridden an 05 RM 250 but heres my 2 cents. I just came off a 01 KTM EXC 300 and was looking fore something differerent for off road. Every thing I read lead me to the 06 RM 250. I was looking for something with good bottom end and that would rev out and suck up the bumps better than the 01 KTM. I went in only from what I had read in the magizines and rider feedback from here and KTM talk. All I can say is I am happy with the move. It has great bottom end feels very fickable. I can lug it forever and when the trail opens up it will just scream without having to be cleaned out. The suspension feels very good after setting the sag and changing out the stock fork oil out. Hope this helps.

My buddy has an 05 with some work done and it rips..could imagine the 06 would be right there...from what i've heard the 03 was really hard to jet correctly and positive the 06 is a far better motor plus the susp and brake updates........you really cant go wrong with the 06 especially if you already like your 03 and the fact you can get em cheap...........what are you waiting for............

I have an 06 rm250 and the motor pulls down low and is very broad. I ride motocross and ususally keep it in 3rd on almost all turns and just roll the throttle and it pulls.

Thanks for the replys.Sounds like a great engine.How does it runs on pump gas?Does it ping?The 03 is a nightmare to jet,and is very picky.My dealer is selling them @ $3999 + tax and fees which I got quoted $4700 OTD.Not bad for a new 06 RM250.Anymore RM owners out there?

That's a great price!

I run BP/Amoco super unleaded with Maxima Castrol 927 premix with no problems and I have not touched the jetting and the rest of the bike is bone stock.

I too went with the 06 250 mainly from magazine reviews, well, and a better contingency than Yam. Everything I read said the RM motor was a duplicate of the YZ's. My RM sees mostly enduros and trailwork, maybe 20% track. For trails, even with a 6 oz flywheel weight & fmf gnarly pipe, the motor is really snappy. Riding the RM back to back with my son's 02 YZ250, the yz has significantly more low and midrange. Alot more clutch work with the RM over technical terrain. When it's more open though, the RM's motor along with lightness makes it really quick.

The motor feels fine to me on a track, you're usually riding in the strength of the powerband anyway.

The jetting has been straight-forward, has never fouled a plug.

lots of peeps are running the yz250 carb manifold and reed spacer on their RMs (upto 05). with the V3 it really helps throttle response and bottom. it was no surprize this was one of the major changes to th 06 bike.

the 06 will be light years better than the 03 IMO, lots of big changes, showas, linkage, steering offset.

I run mine strickly on pump gas without any pinging. I belive they have dropped the compression ratio since 03. I read that is was in 04 when they finally got the jetting down. I think that is a great price, I paid 5,800 OTD and I thought I did alright.

But does anyone here ride an 05 RM 250? They are even lower in price than the 06's? Is there that much difference between the 05 and the 06 models besides BNG? Thanks. Steny

I just picked up a new 06 for $4999. It's a great bike. The stock jetting is perfect for pump gas. It had pretty good low-end power. You don't need to clutch it, you can just roll-on.

Sounds like the engine has good low end.I will be riding the bike mainly off road so I would like to an engine with very strong low end,powerband that hits hard when you get on the gas ,and also revs to the moon.Sounds like the RM has a similar YZ250 powerband.

I just bought a 2005 RM yesterday,got it broke in and rode alot today and it has good bottom end power and my buddy just bought a 2005 YZ brand new also and I think the RM has a little more right off of idle and the YZ felt like it might of had a little more up top, but thats just how it felt to me but they felt pretty close the same besides that. They won't far off from each other.I just know I love my RM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys I am in the same boat. What are big differences between the 04-06??? And say is the 06 worth the extra $1500???

It seems i read the 05 and 06 are the same except graphics but im not 100% . Im looking for a good deal on a left over myself.

It seems i read the 05 and 06 are the same except graphics but im not 100% . Im looking for a good deal on a left over myself.

The 05 and 06 engines are much different.

the only differences between 05 and 06 are porting changes and the shorter carb manifold.

to upgrade the 05 engine to 06 standards, you can just use the carb manifold and reed spacer from a 03 and up YZ250 or buy the one from the 06RM.

From what I've read, the 05 had a good mid hit with not a lot bottom. The 06 has good low end with the same mid hit. The better low end makes the powerband see smooth and broad. I have an 06. Pulls great down low and revs a long way.

From what I've read, the 05 had a good mid hit with not a lot bottom. The 06 has good low end with the same mid hit. The better low end makes the powerband see smooth and broad. I have an 06. Pulls great down low and revs a long way.

Which that would explain the porting changes. I am not all too sure I want a Suzuki. I have been looking deeply into Yamaha's and to me they seem to be the most wisely chose. But at the same time I am looing into because of the suspension and handling, and I hear the engine isn't all that bad.