Sign in to follow this  

New rider - which bike

I am new to this. Have ridden a few times. I want to get a bike for me and later my 2 boys. I mainly want to trail ride. I am not interested in racing or anything. I have been considering XR 250, TTR250, CRF230, and TTR-230. I am about 6 foot and 165. I feel more comfortable on the smaller 230s just because my feet get a better grip on the ground. Will I regret going smaller or is this a good idea for a beginner. Any suggestions?

You will seriously regret a smaller bike. The 230's are really bikes for women and teenagers.

The xr250 and ttr250 are great bikes. They are full sized and will help keep your feet high off of the ground where it will be safe. ON a trail, the higher the better. Having both feet on the ground is only for people who are just starting. It won't last past a couple of really good rides.

Get either one of these, they are great. Get it used so you can sell it in a year or so. You will know much more about your particular riding style and taste then. Do not get locked into any "payments" that will stop you from changing bikes in a year.

I have to dissagree. especiialy about them being for "women and teenagers"

the CRF230 is a great bike. and i think it is what you should get.

the height thing may be a small issue, but a taller seat foam fixes that. and since hes just starting, the trails he will be riding wont require monster ground clearance.

i say get the CRF230 and learn your ways. if needed, get a taller seat foam.

but stay on the 230 for a good 9-10 months. learn how you ride. its an individual thing. get good on that 230, pass it on to your kids, and then if you wanted to, or think you need to, get a bike like a CRF250X.

the 230 has good power for its size, and with its 6th gear it has top speed as well. you can gear it lower if oyu would like.

with a few mods it has some punch to it that will teach you throttle contorl in tight stuff, and get you ready for a bigger bike.

i say get the 230. you cant go wrong with it. it will teac you alot. and its a good bike for your boys to start on as well.

the fact is, you cant even tac a 230 out on most trails. you will use 1st-3rd on trails. and having the convenient low maintenance, good size, good power of the 230, you will be ready to move up.

the thing is, instead of rushing on though bikes, keep one and get really good on it, there are people who can outrun 250's on TTR125's in tight trails.

learn riding and every aspect of trails you need with the cheaper 230, and low maintenance 230, and easy to use 230, and trail rocking 230, then if you WANT TO after time, move up.

my 2 cents worth.

crf230 is a great beginners bike. I even had some fun on the wife's before I lowered it and adjusted the suspension for her. And best of all it has "the button" :thumbsup:

I'm 6'3 about 190 and i started out with a TTR 230 last year. I thought it was a great bike to learn to ride and was quite flexible as to what it could do. Since then i'v switched to a KDX because it fits me better. I still have a little ttr 125 that i got from a kid down the street to screw around on.

Any one of those bikes would be ok, you'll learn faster and most importantly, enjoy the experience more if you're on a bike you feel comfortable with. If you quickly outgrow a bike, don't think that it's been a waste of money, but rather that it probably sped up your learning curve!

I have to dissagree. especiialy about them being for "women and teenagers"

the CRF230 is a great bike. and i think it is what you should get.

I only say that they are for women and teenagers because you "typically" don't demand much performance for those. I know that there are fast teenagers and women, but I am talking about the casual trail riding teenagers and women. I am sure that every 15yr old will now be telling me how fast or how good he is, but that's not the point.

The crf230 is an absolutely great bike, as is the ttr230. But they are a little small and uncomfortable to ride when standing up. I am 5-9 and the poster is 6ft. They also lack the "grunt" that you would get out of an xr250 or ttr250. The difference between the 230's and the 250's is more than just the 20cc's.

By the third or fourth ride, you will be looking for more power out of the 230, especially if you get into some loose dirt, mud or a hill climb. The 250 is still very manageable for a new rider and you quickly get used to not having both feet firmly planted.

If you were 5-5 instead of 6ft, then I'd be ok with the crf230.

Go with a 250 2-stroke. That is what I first started on and after you master that you can ride anything. I prefer the shock learning method because it just makes you a better rider faster.

Yeah, the shock learning method helps a lot. I myself first learned on a 400 two stroke. If thats not your style then go with an xr250 or maybe even a kdx220. Both are great bikes and very reliable

We have a bunch of bikes. The crf230 gets used much more than all the rest. You will be too big for it but who cares? You gave no indication of your kids ages. About how old are they? A cheap used crf230 can be resold without loosing a lot of $.

MSF dirt bike classes around here furnish bikes. And have many different models to choose from. Test ride some?

I am a new rider somewhat I used to play on 80's and stuff and my first bike is a 06 kx250f and I love it because its not hard to ride and when you start gettin comforable with it you have lots of power. I am just getting to the point now that I am using it for all its got often and the thing climbs hillls like a SOB

250 fourstrokes ae very easy to learn on specially an x or wr.

I learned on a 250 wr and in 3 months got sick of it and bought a 250 cr 2 stroke.

I know that if i had bought a 230 i would hav hated it within a week.

I dont race, i trail ride (as in a easy enduro track), i go to the Sx track now and then, and i compete against my friends on off road rides.

I would recomend a 230 only if you are the kind of guy who likes to sight see or take it easy all the time. Instead of buying a quad.

BTW i wouldn hand down a 230 for my son... its a heavy ass bike for the lack of power. I would rather have my son or girlfriend ride a 125 2 stroke or a kawasaki 100

My $.02. I've been riding for years in New England...Enduro, Hare Scramble, Motocross, Street Bikes. I have friends who have been riding XR200's, and now CRF230's for years in NETRA events in the 4 stroke class, from experts way back, to now Vets (old guys) classes, and winning championships. When I bought my first enduro bike back in 1984 (XR250), the dealer, my future boss and friend, tried to convince me to by the XR200. He said I would go better on it. He was right. I now own a CRF230 all these years later. I've had CR125's, CR250's, KTM MXC125, KDX200's, XR250. I can go just as fast, or faster in the tight woods on the CRF230 than any of these bikes. But...terrain makes a difference. In the "tight" woods, roots, and rocks here in New England, you will go faster, longer on a CRF230. These experts I know who are still racing these things 25 years later, beat the living crap out of these bikes and they keep on going. They are lighter and more nimble and don't beat you up as much on a 100 mile ride. Now granted, if you ride alot of deep sand or alot of hills wide open, a bigger motor will help. Other than that, most people can't even use the bigger motor to it's potential in the woods.

I would go with the 250, XR or TTR are both great, XR's have great aftermarket availability.

I was faced with this same question a couple years ago. Decided on the XR250, was very glad I did. I have since rode one of the CRF230's and it was a pig, not to mention felt way to small. The size would probably be great for the first two weeks, after that its going to be too small (I'm 6'1"). The 230 actually weighs more than the XR250. Good luck

KDX200 or KDX220. Bought the wife a CRF230 and it works while for her you will get tired of it fast.

Paul

KDX200 or KDX220. Bought the wife a CRF230 and it works while for her you will get tired of it fast.

Paul

I second that vote, my KDX200 is the first bike I have owned and is awesome for learning and trail riding. It has managable power and wont rip your arms off, but will still get up and go if you lay on it. There are also a lot of mods you can do to give it a better feel. AWESOME trail bike!

go with the XR 250 or ttr 250. you'll out grow the 230 to soon, And if anything, your 6 foot tall, you need the room of the xr 250.

stay on the 230 for a good 9-10 months. learn how you ride. its an individual thing. get good on that 230, pass it on to your kids, and then if you wanted to, or think you need to, get a bike like a CRF250X.

I second that...