Sign in to follow this  

Switching to KTM?

I have been riding Yamaha all my life and i want to switch to ktm. I want to spend about $4500 or so maybe a little more on a KTM. I like desert riding and i enjoy jumping so i want a 4-strk but i dont know that much about KTM. It would be awesome if u guys could help me out with sum opinions on what year and model to get.

Thanks

Not sure what price differences would be in US opposed to Australia but i also used to ride a Yamaha ( a 426 01' ) and changed to a KTM 520 same model. It was the best thing I ever did. I have a lot of mates that also ride or rode Yamaha's religiously in the past but have now gone to the KTM all very happy with their decisions. Sorry I can't advise you what model to buy but I ride with alot of KTM's and Yamaha's and the the Yamies tend to break down alot more than the Kato's. I think one major + with the KTM is it comes std with the good gear like Brembo Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, Fat Bars & WP Suspension etc. Good Luck on your hunt so long as its orange I'm sure you will be happy. By the way I just updated my 01' 520 to a 07' 525. Pick it up on Friday. I would never go back to a Jap bike after owning a Kato.

Having owned a 450 EXC I would start thinking about the 525 for dezert riding. Why not. The 400 up to this CC are about the same weight.

Some other featurs to look forward to

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398467

All my riding is on the east coast, but were I to move to the dry conditions of the west, I would have to try the 380 CC two stroke KTM.

Post a request in the region portion of ktalk and maybe someone let you ride their bike near where you live.

I came off Honda, Kawi, and Suz. Their is nothing I dislike about KTM. On my third.

You can find a 04-05 for the price your looking for.Jump over to ktmtalk.com and look in the bikes for sale forum.Alot of people seem to be jumping from their 4t back to the 300exc/mxc 2t.Alot of bikes for sale over there.