Sign in to follow this  

Which bore kit?

I was looking at tb 88cc bore kits for my 70 and wondering which on to get and why. I can get the one with the race head or not? and does it pay to get an oil pump kit?

Thanks

I was looking at tb 88cc bore kits for my 70 and wondering which on to get and why. I can get the one with the race head or not? and does it pay to get an oil pump kit?

Thanks

Well if you want to get the very best hands down Takegawa. No one else comes close. Don't let anyone tell you different they are full of shit. If your on a buget then get a trail bikes kit. You can get it with or without its up to you. If you don't want to get a race head don't bother with getting the Takegawa just get the trail bikes one. Takegawa race head it the ultimate. If you get a bore up get a oil pump. You need it.

^^^^^really, i have way different. I have been told by MANY thet TB is pretty much the same a takeagawa. Id go TB great service and fast shipping, too. :thumbsup:

tb is def not the same as takegawa, but for the price tb is definetly a better bet.

unless your planning on spending over 1000$ on your engine go www.hondatrailbikes.com

do a search, this question has been asked at least 100x in this forum.

^^^^^really, i have way different. I have been told by MANY thet TB is pretty much the same a takeagawa. Id go TB great service and fast shipping, too. :thumbsup:
Yeah umm that person who told you that is retarded. No way in hell is it the same. Don't believe me go line up with one trailbike verus takegawa. Be prepared to eat alot of dust.

unless you both spend the same amount of money on your kits.

takegawa 400$ s-stage

vs

tb 370$ race head

whos gonna win that race?

Yeah umm that person who told you that is retarded. No way in hell is it the same. Don't believe me go line up with one trailbike verus takegawa. Be prepared to eat alot of dust.

Ill take that bet, and Ill bet money my TB117 will eat alive anything but a Kitaco 124se or Takegawa 124 Superhead.

I line against those exact motors every weekend to race, and the only motor that can beat me to the first turn is the 124se, and its only by half a bike lenght, and that was with the old TB head, I have the new one coming now, so well see If Im not putting a wheel on them next time.

TB may not cost as much, or look as fancy, but it sure more than hell gets the job done, I run up front all day long with motors that cost 2x what mine did.

End of story, and do not, try to argue with me, because I can more than prove my statements.

unless you both spend the same amount of money on your kits.

takegawa 400$ s-stage

vs

tb 370$ race head

whos gonna win that race?

TB wins!!!! exactly what Jetster said.. it may not look or sound as fancy but definately performs up there with the high dollar kits

i was leary of TB in the beggining and bought a takegawa S-stage and my best friend bought a trailbikes stage 2 ( basicly the same components in each kit)

the trailbikes cam is WAY better(more lift and duration by far)...the takegawa is barely larger than stock. the TB piston has higher compression ratio and the TB kit comes witha 20mm carb where the s-stage comes with an 18mm carb

needless to say i was dissapointed when my friends kit that was well over 100 dollars cheaper smoked my bike in almost every aspect of performance... i built both motors and have years of tuning exp. so there wasn't any problems with either kit except that takegawa sells you less performance for more money..

I just got a takegawa s-stage for $300 bucks, and it came with a 20mm carb. So I don't know if the previous post is totally accurate. With that said I did extensive research before buying. Heres what I found, Takegawa has a good reputation for quality parts, and a little higher price and depending where you got it decent cust service. TB has decent parts and good cust service. For the price I was thinking of going TB until I found a good deal on the s-stage kit.

Also don't listen to anyone compairing 117/124 or anything other than 88cc kits. As far as 88 go I don't think the TB pulls as hard as the S-stage, but that's just my but dyno talking and I don't have actual dyno numbers.

Lastly it's your money spend it how you like, just stay away from Chinease parts, as they tend to break easliy.

I have the 88kit from dratv on my z50 motor that puts out 4.1hp. They have a kit for the 70. http://www.dratv.com/xrallyect82t.html

I am sure this kit makes more power than the one for the 50 though, just b/c the valves are bigger in the 70. I wouldn't worry too much about the oil pump. The one that comes in it will pump enough. I would put the money saved on the pump towards a different camshaft.

If you have the money go ahead and get the tb kit w/ the race head. I am just cheap and don't care what everyone else thinks. Alot of people will tell you if it's not name brand it ain't worth a crap. I like to try things and form my own opinion.

I have the 88kit from dratv on my z50 motor that puts out 4.1hp. They have a kit for the 70. http://www.dratv.com/xrallyect82t.html

I am sure this kit makes more power than the one for the 50 though, just b/c the valves are bigger in the 70. I wouldn't worry too much about the oil pump. The one that comes in it will pump enough. I would put the money saved on the pump towards a different camshaft.

If you have the money go ahead and get the tb kit w/ the race head. I am just cheap and don't care what everyone else thinks. Alot of people will tell you if it's not name brand it ain't worth a crap. I like to try things and form my own opinion.

just curious if you'v ever installed an aftermarket oil pump?

If not, try it.. You'l see that the stock oil hole is sooo small that an aftermarket oil pump HAS to be a huge increase

and at only $25, I couldn't see why not to get one

Stock oil hole is like as big as a period . after you drill a hole iots like this big o

My reasoning for not upgrading the pump on the 70 is it will put out enough to keep the top end oiled if you go to 88cc. Just keep the stock pump and drill out the hole in the case if you want a little extra flow.

I put a pump on my 50 when I went to an 88 kit. I drilled out the hole to 2mm as advised.

The reason everyone puts the hv pumps on the modded 50s is the stock pump was not designed for an engine w/ double the hp. The stock 70 pump flows more than the stock 50. You are only going up 16cc and there is not going to be that much of a difference in how fast the motor turns up or the heat generated. Now, if you go w/ a 88 race head, bigger carb, better exhaust, cam, rev box, then yes it is going to turn up quicker and generate more heat. It will also top out at a higher rpm so there would be a need for a hv oil pump.

My reasoning for not upgrading the pump on the 70 is it will put out enough to keep the top end oiled if you go to 88cc. Just keep the stock pump and drill out the hole in the case if you want a little extra flow.

I put a pump on my 50 when I went to an 88 kit. I drilled out the hole to 2mm as advised.

The reason everyone puts the hv pumps on the modded 50s is the stock pump was not designed for an engine w/ double the hp. The stock 70 pump flows more than the stock 50. You are only going up 16cc and there is not going to be that much of a difference in how fast the motor turns up or the heat generated. Now, if you go w/ a 88 race head, bigger carb, better exhaust, cam, rev box, then yes it is going to turn up quicker and generate more heat. It will also top out at a higher rpm so there would be a need for a hv oil pump.

ya I keep forgetting this is a 70's forum also

used to the 50 only forums :thumbsup:

No worries. I am a member on 4 or 5 sites. I am always getting things mixed up.