Sign in to follow this  

first bike, help please

i recently purchased a 06 yz250f which is my first bike and am pleased with what riding skills i have accomplised in the last month but would like some pointers on riding and what i should do with the bike. thanks for the help.

I hope the clothing you wear is fire resistant, as I suspect you will be getting flamed here. However, to avoid this situation in the future you will want to be much more specific as to what you need. "Pointers on riding" and "what to do with the bike" are pretty vague questions. Welcome to the forums, you have a great wealth of knowledge at your fingertips if you ask the "right" questions. :thumbsup:

Josh

To start, ride as much as you can. You will find out what the bike needs. For example, my 250f needed more low end, so I researched and asked questions. I ended up rejetting, powernow, exaust. As far as pointers, ride with somebody that is better than you. Push your self, but not too much. You will not get any better at riding at home in a leg cast. As far as spending money, spend it on gas and body protection - knee guards, elbow guards, ect. Oh, and have fun.

There are a bunch of really good books on MX riding techniques. Pick one up and read it and practice what the book says.

Take a class on riding. I took a one-day class and learned a lot. Some classes can be a little pricey, but they are worth every penny.

Do the book/class thing now, so you don't develop bad habits. Much harder to un-learn bad habits, so you can learn the "proper" way to jump, turn, brake, etc.

But by far, the best way to get better at riding is to ride. Nothing compares with saddle-time. When resting, watch the faster guys, and see what they are doing that makes them fast- then go out an practice that.

If you ride the same track or same area and want to get faster, break down the track into sections and practice each section separately. Once you have a corner or jump dialed, work on the woops, or the big double. Then put it all together.

ya i have been looking for some books to read. i have all the gear i need. anyone suggest any performance upgrades. i only weigh 135 so the bike pulls me around already with no problem. but maybe a few upgrades would be good.

Do the suspension first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Practice riding not to be fast but flowing. Fast will come naturally as your confidence builds.

Get this down pat then mod the bike in which ever way you see fit.

Enjoy.

This is not a flame here but you said this is your first bike so in it's stock form it is already capable of much more than you are. As a 135 lbs beginner I suspect you will never need to get it to make more power.

To learn more about riding, find an instructor in your area and schedule some lessons. That will do more to improve your speed than any bike mod can. He will probably also be able to teach a little about how to get the most out of your stock suspension. If he does not bring that up, tell him you would like to learn about that as well. If he does not have the expertise you need he can at least send you to someone that does. Most of the local tuners here will, for a fee, meet you at the track, watch you ride and offer advice. But, I would not go that route until my skill had improved to the point that I needed more from the suspension. You have to have the skill first.

From what I have heard your bike has great stock suspension. If tuned properly it will perform very very well so make sure it is before you spend 300 or 400 on a suspension re-vavle.

Many people on the forum will advise you to quickly spend money to make your bike better. Speed on a motocross bike is 90% rider, 10% bike IMHO. This is your first bike, don't waste money on mods yet, instead work on your technique and hone your skills... that will play a much bigger part in your ability rather than tossing money into your ride. Transworld Motocross has put out two DVDs about riding techniques, I personally don't have any of them, but if you check out their site www.transworldmotocross.com they have what they call Tuesday Tips that are often helpful pointers regarding riding and maintnence. Good luck!

what about tires. ive read other posts and it seems that the front tires (which if i remember off the top of my head is the dunlop 739) are junk. should i change it out and what recommendations are there.

also does anyone know of a company that makes a left side thumb hot start. all the ones i seem to find are right side and im hoping to just get the hot start and not the whole perch.