Sign in to follow this  

Changing tires

It's time for a new set of tires thank heaven ( good by death wings)! I'm not going to get caught up in the whole which is best tire thing but I do want to know If this is something I can do on my own ? I did alot of dirt bikes in the 80's wont it be the same? And what about balancing can I do this at home ?

Any help/tips or suggestions guys? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can change them yourself, be careful not to pinch the tubes on reinstall. I read about a home balancing method seemed pretty easy. You spin the tire, if its out of balance it will tend to stop in the same place time after time. Add little weights to the top after it stops, until it stops in random places. Might not be the best method but if it works... Some people don't bother balancing unless they feel a wobble. I prefer balanced for peace of mind.

Yes you can and yes it will be the same. Take your time, use baby powder and 2-3 good irons.

As far as balancing - I run Dunlop Desert 756's. The little street use they get is a non-issue. I do not balance the front. Simply use the dot on the tire in relation to the valve stem. On the rear, I run 2 rim locks opposite each other and the dot in relation to the valve stem.

No out of balance problems up to 70 (indicated) on the road.

Use baby powder on the tube and I use Windex on the tire - I like the glass cleaner much better than soapy water...

I'm not super quick or experienced, but I found three tire irons to be better than two...

Make sure to put a little bit of air in the tube so it keeps its shape.

There are some good links to be found using the search function

Changing tires is basically the same. Especially if you stick with bias ply dirt tires for the drz rims. 19" rears are a bear as are the radial tires, at least they are in my experience. But the 18/21 combo with bias tires are a piece of cake.

Changing tires is basically a piece of cake.

and every now and then you'll get one that, due to misalignment of planets, is really bad-tasting cake!

I use knee pads (carpenter style), tire irons (2), wd40 (usually) or warm soapy water (if a mechanic or local know-it-all is going to try to tell me how to do it-pick your battles, some foes aren't worthy) to lube the tire, no baby powder (the thought of it mixing with warm soapy water and forming some sort of calcium-based paste (alkaline?) and gluing my tube into place is my reason-add a small bit of air to keep the tube moving freely in the rim instead). It takes me about 1-1 1/2 hrs to change 2 tires now-last summer was 1 1/2-2hrs. I dont bother balancing them-they're usually caked with dirt anyway.

and every now and then you'll get one that, due to misalignment of planets, is really bad-tasting cake!

So true :thumbsup:

I also use a 6" c-clamp or two for breaking the bead and keeping the tire where I want it.

the clamp is a good idea. I used them once to hold the drop centre when I was fighting a really stubborn one on.

breaking bead, I use my heel, if that wont work, a bench vise, clamps if I havent a vise, Vesey clamps have been used once or twice, I have used the bumper of my truck and a jack to break beads too. Once used a 2x6 and a brick and a truck (dont know why I didnt use the jack) to roll over the tire to break it down. Where there's a will....

I had an old honda 550 that the tires were seized onto the rim, it took two full size trucks (one on each side) to finally get the bead to break loose. That one tire change took two of us 1/2 day to do. I think that tire had been on there for 5 years of coastal weather.

I had an old honda 550 that the tires were seized onto the rim, it took two full size trucks (one on each side) to finally get the bead to break loose. That one tire change took two of us 1/2 day to do. I think that tire had been on there for 5 years of coastal weather.

:ride::thumbsup::ride::cry:

Changing a tire with just irons can be a huge pain in the arse. I've done it once...and it took me several hours, a pinched tube, and some sore muscles. My local shop charges $30 to mount a tire and balance the wheel. That's money well spent. I'll change a tube, but I'll leave the tire changing to the pros.

I've got the tire changing down and I'm getting faster each time. I didn't balance the first 2 times but had a bad wobble the last time. I had balanced these myself but I guess I didn't do a good job. Ended up having to take them to the stealers and they balanced them for $18. I'll try it again next time myself. :thumbsup:

I found a local motorcycle shop that will put them on for $15 each if you bring in the wheels off the bike. Seems worth it to me. For another $8, they will do a balance but they said with my bike there was no reason as off road riding throws off the weights anyway. Are they correct? Do most people balance their DRZ400 wheels or not?

I did mine yesterday for the first time. Use 3 tire irons, talc, and soapy water I worked on an old round garabge can to get off the floor and set the tire in the sun for about 30 minutes while I pulled the wheel off the bike. No problems :thumbsup: .

Follow our own Thumper Talk Guide:

How to change a dirt bike tire

So SM wheels and tires + no experience = take 'em to a shop?

I've changed plenty of mtn bike tires, easy! (I attract punctures so I'm a little worried about the big bike.)

rockygrass said will change the tube but not the tire. If I get a punture on the road or trail it would be plausible for me to patch or swap tubes by myself, I'm assuming? The hard part is getting the fresh tire on? Seems breaking the bead is hard too.

This is the best video I've found. The guy makes it seem like changing shoes.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1215721,00.html

OK This guy isn't sweating nearly as much as I did, I think this was staged. He made that look so easy. Thanks for the heads up on the video. Used the C-clamp trick to hold the tire into the center to get it on, but I liked his method better. I will never pay to have a tire put on!!!

Go to Harbor Freight.They have a similar one for about $110.You buys the basic tire changer and the motorcycle attachment.There's a link to a review on their site.